RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
Ugh..this thread got smelly real quick. FYI no one wants to be like the Leafs LOL

Backstrom is a lazy comparison and makes it easy to weed out who’s unfamiliar with EP.

How did No Show Nylander aka Radim Vrbata Jr. even get dragged into this ? Elias is a certified champion and has his own style.

Not saying he or his style is the best, just saying it’s unique and there’s no good comparison.

His play style is AI Machine Learning

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's had similar offensive production to Kessel at comparable ages, having seen both play for the Leafs a lot, they're very similar in their skating,speed,shot,passing,zone entry. I think Nylander's got that potential for sure, he's only 22 and in his 3rd season. Must suck for Boeser that he'll start to plateau after this season by that logic and not get better

Poor argument. You can’t project players of different ages based on their production at the same age. To say that Nylander will reach Kessel’s production based on each of their first two years is just not reasonable. Kessel had a 92 point season and is a much better offensive player.
And where did I say that Nylander has plateaued? I fully expect him to do better than 61 points.
Anyways back to the thread before it got derailed.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I really don't understand the Bäckström comparisons that are being thrown around here. I see them as very different types of players.

Thank you so much. Their height wise, aesthetics were never even the same in the first place. Some people want to drop names with players of the same nationality.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah, I don't get the Backstrom comparison, other than the passing skills. Pettersson is way more dynamic and craft than Backstrom. Not to take anything away from Backstrom, but he's a slower, plodding, stocky player with exceptional passing ability. Pettersson is very East-West and possesses way more finesse.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Yeah, I don't get the Backstrom comparison, other than the passing skills. Pettersson is way more dynamic and craft than Backstrom. Not to take anything away from Backstrom, but he's a slower, plodding, stocky player with exceptional passing ability. Pettersson is very East-West and possesses way more finesse.
and Backstrom can't shoot like Pettersson.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
and Backstrom can't shoot like Pettersson.

Perhaps. But I'll tell ya, Backstrom has a sneakily good wrister... he can place it very well. But, yes, Pettersson is extremely dynamic in everything he does. He's looking like one of those "worth the price of admission" type players.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Uncomparable players. One is a center the other is a winger, you always take the center over the winger :popcorn:
Nylander was always a center until he joined the Leafs with Marner and Matthews (Matthews, Kadri, Bozak down the middle). His first 22 games in the NHL were as center (Bozak, Kadri, Nylander). Not a slight against Nylander. EP wouldn't be a center here either, he'd be on Matthews, Tavares' or Kadri's wing like Nylander and Marner are.

Reactions: MendelMu

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Nylander was always a center until he joined the Leafs with Marner and Matthews (Matthews, Kadri, Bozak down the middle). His first 22 games in the NHL were as center (Bozak, Kadri, Nylander). Not a slight against Nylander. EP wouldn't be a center here either, he'd be on Matthews, Tavares' or Kadri's wing like Nylander and Marner are.
Nylander played wing in ahl

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Poor argument. You can’t project players of different ages based on their production at the same age. To say that Nylander will reach Kessel’s production based on each of their first two years is just not reasonable. Kessel had a 92 point season and is a much better offensive player.
And where did I say that Nylander has plateaued? I fully expect him to do better than 61 points.
Anyways back to the thread before it got derailed.
It took Kessel up until his last season to reach 92 points, he first reached ppg with the Leafs when he was 23, Nylander still has a season to go in that regard being 22. And the comparison is apt because they were both high picks who were originally centers shifted over to wing with the same tools. Having seen both here, they're very similar offensively speaking, hence the comparison. It's not like I'm comparing him to Crosby or Malkin.

Kinda funny that I can't project players when half this thread is Nucks fans proclaiming EP is a future franchise C after one game lmao.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander played wing in ahl
When he joined the team midseason, the next year he was a center when he put up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL as a 19 year old. And regardless, he played center in the SHL as well as his first 22 games in the NHL. Nylander would be a center on a team with far less center depth than the Leafs. EP wouldn't even be a center here.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
When he joined the team midseason, the next year he was a center when he put up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL as a 19 year old. And regardless, he played center in the SHL as well as his first 22 games in the NHL. Nylander would be a center on a team with far less center depth than the Leafs. EP wouldn't even be a center here.
Nylander has however much better quality linemates than pettersson so far.

There is no doubt EP has the higher ceiling if that ever was in doubt.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson is a natural center, played that position his entire junior career. Nylander is not, neither can he play center in the NHL. His work rate is way too much up and down and he doesn't have the understanding of how to play that position.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Mar 14, 2015
Pettersson is a natural center, played that position his entire junior career. Nylander is not, neither can he play center in the NHL. His work rate is way too much up and down and he doesn't have the understanding of how to play that position.
Yeah Pettersson is a natural in middle, he just keeps on impressing.

And Nylander cant play center in the NHL? Weird as how he did it last season, how can Babcook put a guy like him in the middle if he doesnt understand how to play the position.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander has however much better quality linemates than pettersson so far.

There is no doubt EP has the higher ceiling if that ever was in doubt.
I agree with you lmao, I said "I think EP has more potential than Nylander" on the last page.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
BAM will think otherwise and that's the hill he will die on
Except I said that "I think EP has more potential than Nylander" on the last page but keep on getting things wrong, it's your thing I guess LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad