What is your perfect NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
More hitting, the current style is often boring with little actually happening. I'd like them to revisit forcing goalies to move the puck after freezing it. At least experiment with it more. Reduce goalie equipment size. The shot angles for players are miniscule. Proof? Look at defenseman PP goals, extremely low currently.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
70ish games per season
Bring back ties
1-8 seeding system for playoffs
Fighting after a clean hit ALWAYS gets 2, 5 and 10
No offside review
No advertisements on the ice, glass, boards, or players.
No gambling promotion of any kind
No ipads on the bench to review plays

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Mostly, just rewind everything a few years.

80 games. Any less makes it even harder for current and future players to chase single-season records and overall, career records/milestones.

30 teams. Drop 2 right now and there's enough talent coming in that most teams have at least one star worth paying to see. Note I said "most". It's not a right that everyone gets one.

Despite its flaws, keep the playoffs the same format as now. 1-to-16 becomes a travel nightmare and every other solution doesn't change must (1-8 in conferences, for example).

Drop the draft lottery. They keep tinkering and it's getting silly now. The draft lottery is a bore as only 1 team (if that) makes any move up worth noticing. Generational talents come along rarely enough that I'm okay with a team tanking when it happens. If nothing else a few AHL players and 8th-string goalies get a shot in the bigs for a few weeks they never expected.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Never going to understand the people wanting to shorten the season, in terms of games and when it starts and stops. It’s pretty much perfect the way it is. We can all still have lives, not worry about watching every game, catching what we can when we’re able to, and keeping that good feeling of hockey going on in the background of life for as long as possible. Then it’s gone for just long enough to miss it before it ramps up again.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I'd start the season a few weeks earlier. Every year I get some sort of weird feeling that lasts a few weeks, a brain fog, between when the new school year starts and nhl season starts.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Four divisions of seven teams each.
(Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe)

Two conferences.
(Wales, Campbell)

Adams Division:
Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques
Detroit Red Wings
Buffalo Sabres

(The other divisions are negotiable)

42 games out of division. One home, one away for each team.

36 games within the division. 3 home, three away for each team.

78 games total.

Eliminate the instigator penalty, the third man in penalty and penalties for leaving the bench. I’d eliminate the shootout and trapezoid, also.

OT would be 5 on 5, 10 minutes of sudden death. If tied after 10, the game remains a tie. Winners get two points, losers get zero points. In the event of a tie, nobody gets a point. Points are only awarded for wins.

Lastly, if the Quebec Nordiques ever win the Stanley Cup in this proposed universe, Gary Bettman is to be publicly flogged in front of the Chateau Frontenac until he cries.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Never going to understand the people wanting to shorten the season, in terms of games and when it starts and stops. It’s pretty much perfect the way it is. We can all still have lives, not worry about watching every game, catching what we can when we’re able to, and keeping that good feeling of hockey going on in the background of life for as long as possible. Then it’s gone for just long enough to miss it before it ramps up again.

Personally it's more about keeping the players fresh and avoiding back to backs. I think the quality of the hockey would improve if they cut it down by 10-15 games.

Not that it would ever happen, but that's the thread.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
22 teams
60 games
8 playoff teams
2 conferences only, no divisions
Top 4 in each conference make the playoffs

I like it more compact. I don’t think we need this many teams.

You also don't need half of your league to make the playoffs either.

I am in the minority, but that's ok.

So, you are cutting out the Leafs and what other teams.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
78 games - 1 home 1 away against each team, no divisions.
40 teams
24 teams make the playoffs, single elimination with bottom 8 seeds in the first round.
Playoffs are seeded over the entire league for fresh matchups regularly.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
1.No Trapezoid

2.OTs are 10 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 10 minutes of 3 on 3, also shootout is 5 players and shootout goals count for a players goal totals (dgaf about whiners who have no problem counting the countless 70mph along the ice clappers that beat dusty 5'6 goalies 30-50 years ago, but this is crossing the line somehow)

3.A few more awards (defensive defenseman/dman pearson/maybe some mathematically calculated award/assist award can be called the Gaudreau)

4.Top 5 revenue generating teams get to spend 10% more than cap, top 10 get 5% more than cap, every few years teams get one buyout no cost to the cap

5.Since I'm in charge, Quebec and Hamilton get a team

6.Russia involved in Olympics/international competitions (if I have this power)

7.Games played around the world, would love to see the NHL in the middle east/africa/china, its a few games so ofc conditions won't be perfect, but they'd be good enough

8.All NHL games avaliable on PC

9.$49 monthly subscription to totally uncensored call by calls and the on ice chirps (if the players don't kill me for making this available)

10.3 point system (3 reg win, 2 ot/shootout win, 1 otl), not that it makes much diff but a little better for sure

11.Limit gambling ads, I just hate how it's spammed non stop, limit in game advertising, scrap any jersey advertisements, helmets you can go crazy but desecrating a jersey is a big no no

12.No instigator rule or goalies playing the puck over the center ice rule, refs are specifically instructed not to break up goalie fights, death penalty for the ref that attempts to break up a goalie fight from starting

13.NHL training centers in more places around the world to promote the growth of the game (+ it gives ex NHL players something to do)

14.7 START TIME, as in anthems everything else takes place at 6:30, also every team must play a few more matinee games (helps the European market and kids can go see the games with their schools in America to promote the growth of the game)

Reactions: rfournier103

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
While I wouldn't want to actually see teams taken away in theory at this point in time cutting back to 24 teams with 16 making the playoff would make for a very deep and highly competitive league. People will have different opinions on how many teams should make the playoffs, but with the current 50% setup I'm not saying change it but you're ending up with teams that basically miss for up to 10 year stretches. That's no fun as a fun, and cutting back to 2 in 1 out probably cuts that back to < 5 years downtime at most, and keeping at 4 divisions of 6 teams every season each team should be in the mix.

Or for funsies how about a league where each team gets to keep 3-5 "franchise" players and every summer the rest of the players are cut and the rest of the roster is filled through a pro draft. For salaries you stick to the revenue sharing structure and players are paid based on a defined set of performance standards. For draft prospects lets say teams get to keep players through their ELC's then they're added to the pool same as everyone else.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
A perfect NHL would allow me to watch every game that I want and not worry about blackouts. If I pay to watch your product, I want all of your product.

As for the product on the ice, the Season should end before Memorial Day and start in Mid September. In a few years they might be playing the Stanley Cup Final on the 4th of July and that's too late.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Rookie tournaments - Labour day weekend
Training camp starts the Wednesday after labour day.
Preseason starts the following Saturday/Sunday.
Regular season starts around the 28th of September.
Stanley cup is handed out no later than june 10th.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I could probably copy/paste this from another thread bit I'm too lazy to find it, but here goes.

My biggest turn off with the NHL is that a single regular season game isn't all that important. I rarely get the feeling that I absolutely need to watch a game. Sure, I like watching hockey, but for a large amount of teams, a large amount of games will have very little impact on how their season plays out. This is both due to the amount of games and the points system.

I would drop the amount of games by a large amount. The league now has enough teams that I would simply have all the teams play each other once at home and once on the road for a nice amount of 62 games (although in no time this would probably go back to 82 with the way the league is expanding). Playoffs 1-8.

I don't have a strong opinion on ties, OT and the shootout. If we need to have a winner in every game, sure, but at least adopt the 3 point system. With ties I would have three points for a win and one point for a tie.

And before anyone points it out, I obviously understand why this will never happen, but I am allowed to dream.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
The shootout has over stayed it's welcome. It was fun in like 2008. But its been here for 20 years now and is bland. 3 on 3 is also terrible. Go back to 4 v 4 for 5 min. No score? Then it's a tie. Simple as that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad