Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yep, why trade for a boat anchor contract, when we sign one of our own! Everyone of these long term/big money contracts were justifiable at the time, to younger players. If Gio won't sign a contract with a cap hit and term that fits the rebuild, he will be traded. That's why this contract was built with an expiring NTC, cause he'll be 33! Flames really have all the leverage.

Gio will get a good contract, for both the Flames and himself. He's the captain, the team wants him here and he definitely wants to be here. I think that it'll be a bit of a sweetheart contract; with some term to bring him to 38 years old or so.

Aug 21, 2014
For Gio...

ZPFQVis9WAAcE.gif

Recipe cards? :sarcasm:

Kovalchuk...if he leaves the KHL, any interest? And how would he be acquired?

Yes pls. I love Kovalchuk.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Elliotte Friedman on Saturday Headlines:
  • Calgary very aggressive in reaching out to teams
  • Won't do anything that jeopardizes their ability to sign Giordano, Monahan and Gaudreau longterm
  • Have seen teams asking about Hudler; with one year left, Flames saying it'd have to be worth their while

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yes pls. I love Kovalchuk.

The interesting things about Kovy. A) He played his best hockey for Hartley in Atlanta. B) Hes never been on a good team really, and yet he led the Devils to a final, and they weren't a very strong team.

if we could add him for two years at like 16 million. Get Lucic in a trade.

Gaudreau- Monahan - Hudler
Kovalchuk - Bennett - Lucic
Ferland - Backlund - Bouma

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Elliotte Friedman on Saturday Headlines:
  • Calgary very aggressive in reaching out to teams
  • Won't do anything that jeopardizes their ability to sign Giordano, Monahan and Gaudreau longterm
  • Have seen teams asking about Hudler; with one year left, Flames saying it'd have to be worth their while

Pretty much what I'd imagine from them. You want him? Well, you have to pay for a top ten scorer in the league, sorry.

I saw this and was like niiiceee when Elliotte said the Flames are being aggressive. Makes me happy. I think anyone with half a mind knows this team can't stand still and hope they develop into a playoff team, there has to be some moves made that don't jeopardize the future; but provide benefit to the current roster.

I imagine they're looking for age-specific players, fit in with the mold of the team; trying to move some of our depth and just continue to improve. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Like I kept on saying this is the offseason to be aggressive. We can take advantage of cap pressed teams and get some steals. Would like deals similar to the Islanders deals last in the offseason.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Like I kept on saying this is the offseason to be aggressive. We can take advantage of cap pressed teams and get some steals. Would like deals similar to the Islanders deals last in the offseason.

If we can get a top 4 Dman for a couple 2nd rounders, or an okay prospect and some garbage... I mean, Calgary needs to be all over that. Same thing goes for top 6 fowards.

Last year Treliving stayed away from those deals because we had no idea where we were going to end up. And I understand that completely. The Flames just came off their worst year over a decade; and there weren't really any signs we were going to do a 25 point turnaround.

Now that management knows we have a great foundation in: Johnny, Monahan, Bennett, Giordano and Brodie; it's time to go out and start assembling those complimentary pieces; and some of those might come from desperate teams trying to get rid of some cap space for what they might consider non-core pieces (but who just might be exactly that in another team, Ladd, Buff, Leddy, Boychuk just as a couple examples).

The Hawks, Bruins, Wild, Rangers and fringe Flyers, Kings, Nucks and Pens all have cap issues moving into next year. They have a plethora of NHL talent that may have to be abandoned in order to be a competitive team or to get some order again (the last four I mentioned were lower tier or just barely playoff teams; they have high caps for kind of 'meh' teams).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So what would the price be to let a guy like Hudler go?

It has got to be big.
Either has to get us back into the first round of this draft plus a good young NHLer with upside.

Or

Has to be a blue-chip prospect plus a good young NHLer with upside.

Look at what Perron got from Pittsburgh; it'd be that, but better... since Hudler's a better player.

Calgary can't let him go just for futures; because it'll create a nice big 70 point hole on our right side.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If we moved Hudler, I think a good offer would be:

:caps
2015 1st
Madison Bowey

Hudler would absolutely tear it up with Ovi and Backstrom.

Aug 21, 2014
How about a Redwings blockbuster?

to :wings

Jiri Hudler
Denis Wideman

to :flames

19th overall
Anthony Mantha
Ryan Sproul
Jakub Kindl

How far off am I?

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Jiri Hudler
Denis Wideman

19th overall
Anthony Mantha
Ryan Sproul
Jakub Kindl

How far off am I?

Wings win that deal hands down imo.

19th OA and Mantha would be fine overpayment for Huds, but that's the only way I move him.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Russell and Wideman are a great pairing. I don't think they should be moved unless a team overpays for Wideman too.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
If we moved Hudler, I think a good offer would be:

:caps
2015 1st
Madison Bowey

Hudler would absolutely tear it up with Ovi and Backstrom.

Jiri Hudler
Denis Wideman

19th overall
Anthony Mantha
Ryan Sproul
Jakub Kindl

How far off am I?

These are deals that favour us but would be the only way i'd move them. We'd have to dip into FA to replace Wideman and Huds, though... (Sekera/Green/Franson - Williams/Ward)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
For those that may see Hiller and Hudler getting dealt, I can only see one of the players listed getting traded. IMO, it is terrible human resource management. It is similiar to if a Calgary based company hires someone from Toronto, only to fire them within a year or two; the person from Toronto would most like sue the company. Likewise, the Flames most likely approached Hiller and Hudler during Free Agency and both players accepted the deal. I just don't think Hudler AND Hiller would get traded.

If one were to get traded, I'd put my bet on Hudler. The guy was a PPG player this past season and his value will never be higher. Would anyone bite on Mantha+19th overall for Hudler?

On another note, where do you guys think Glencross will end up? Back in Edmonton?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
If one were to get traded, I'd put my bet on Hudler. The guy was a PPG player this past season and his value will never be higher. Would anyone bite on Mantha+19th overall for Hudler?

I guess it would depend on what Hudler thinks his next contract will be because if its six mil or more we may not be able to fit that in. Losing Hudler would be a blow for our team regardless of Mantha and whoever the 19th OA pick is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I read on FB (I think from Sportsnet), that the Wings are considering moving Mantha, I'm assuming for a draft pick (likely a 1st rounder they would seek) or possibly in a deal for a dman. If they are willing to move him for a pick, what does that say? The guy has had 2 years of development, they may be willing to deal him for another 1st, another complete unknown risk. Mantha has definitely fallen in their organizations eyes, much like Sven did for us.

I'd take him for the right price, but not our 1st. Before he was drafted the knock on him was his compete level, and apparently he hasn't displayed a high level of IQ in GR. He could be on the fast track to Bustville. But he's absolutely an intriguing prospect.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I'm not interested in Mantha. If a team as patient as the Wings is already quitting on him I am not willing to spend assets to try and turn him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad