Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Also we could expand this further to bring in Oshie too.

to Blues
● Jiri Hudler
● Markus Granlund
● 52nd Overall
to Flames
● Ryan O'Reilly
● T.J Oshie
to Avalanche
● Jay Bouwmeester

I think something like this could work out well for everyone involved.

Gaudreau Monahan Oshie
Bennett O'Reilly Colborne

Looks good to me. Ideally Colborne is a 3rd line RW at this point but I like the progress he's made the last little while.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

to Blues
● Jiri Hudler
● Markus Granlund
● 52nd Overall
to Flames
● Ryan O'Reilly
● T.J Oshie
to Avalanche
● Jay Bouwmeester

That's actually quite interesting. I feel like it's balanced and addresses areas of need.

I like ROR because he's big and can play at different spots. He would add size either on the wing or down the middle, he just gives us options. He already signed an offer sheet here so I could see him signing long term as well.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
That's actually quite interesting. I feel like it's balanced and addresses areas of need.

I like ROR because he's big and can play at different spots. He would add size either on the wing or down the middle, he just gives us options. He already signed an offer sheet here so I could see him signing long term as well.
If we made a move like that and then made a couple other aggressive moves like:
- 1st + Ferland for Lucic
- Backlund for Girardi
- Granlund for Gormley
- Sign Williams or Stafford as a UFA

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie
Lucic - O'Reilly - Williams/Stafford
Bouma - Stajan - Colborne/Jones
Bollig/Wolf - Jooris - Colborne/Jones
Raymond

Giordano - Brodie
Girardi - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Gormley

Hiller
Ramo

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
- Backlund for Girardi
- Granlund for Gormley

Raymond

Giordano - Brodie
Girardi - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Gormley

Hiller
Ramo

Or, ya know, we could be patient, build a proper winner ourselves? Patience is a thing we MUST have. I know we all got a taste of playoff hockey but we are no where NEAR a true cup contender to be making these moves and trading away futures.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I for one am tired of trading away valuable draft picks and prospects for older players(okay not old old, but you get what I'm saying). We did that way too much in the Sutter years, let's be patient with this thing. We have a very solid foundation, let's continue to build upon it and do it the right way. :nod:

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Or, ya know, we could be patient, build a proper winner ourselves? Patience is a thing we MUST have. I know we all got a taste of playoff hockey but we are no where NEAR a true cup contender to be making these moves and trading away futures.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I for one am getting tired of trading away valuable draft picks and prospects for older players(okay not old old, but you get what I'm saying). We did that way too much in the Sutter years, let's be patient with this thing. We have a very solid foundation, let's continue to build upon it and do it the right way. :nod:
what did I suggest that would severely hamper our future? Just curious. Although I do now realize I traded Granlund twice :laugh:

And you make moves like that to become contenders, the league has enough parity that if we added the likes of ROR, Oshie, Girardi and Williams and we would be serious contenders.

You also seem to forget this is all fantasy and discussion. How much discussion would there be if everyone just only suggested standing Pat?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Pretty sure ROR is C/LW.

I come in peace. O'Reilly can play all 3 forward positions. Was 1st line C this year mostly and LW/RW(mostly LW) last year.

Personally I see something around 15+a 2nd+Colborne for O'Reilly+lesser prospect(Butcher?) to be close in value. He fits with your core age better than Hudler who you could trade for some futures back in return or keep him. Think it's between Calgary and Buffalo who lands him. Buffalo would offer something like 21+Zadorov I'd think.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
what did I suggest that would severely hamper our future? Just curious. Although I do now realize I traded Granlund twice :laugh:

And you make moves like that to become contenders, the league has enough parity that if we added the likes of ROR, Oshie, Girardi and Williams and we would be serious contenders.

You also seem to forget this is all fantasy and discussion. How much discussion would there be if everyone just only suggested standing Pat?

I didn't mean to just single out you, it's been a lot on here as of late since our playoff run. I'm just of the mindset of: "okay we had a great year. Let's see if it was a 1 hit wonder year or if it was a legitimate success we had." The fact you traded Ferland AND a 1st for Lucic(whom I am not high on whatsoever, Ferland IS our version of Lucic without the $6M contract or soon to be UFA, or could become one). And the double Granlund thing had me chuckle. :laugh:

I know we do need to make moves like that. But as I said above in my last paragraph, keep our expectations tempered and see if what we accomplished was legit or if it was a flash in the pan. If we do just as well or even slightly better than this year THEN we can talk all we want about X or Y player to acquire to help the team.

I realized that as I was hitting the send button that's its all for discussion. :laugh: but the thought of doing any serious trades, for veteran NHL'ers right now has me cringe a little bit. Too many flash backs of Sutter doing so to keep up a playoff team. :shudders:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Ferland is not our version of Lucic. People talk about selling high, this is when you do it. The guy is only 3 years (maybe 4?) younger than Lucic and has shown absolutely zero consistency as a pro. Chances are better he becomes a Bollig type player than anything close to Lucic who is one of the very few true power forwards left in the game.

Also this is nothing like Sutter because he was trying to keep an older borderline playoff team relevant. In this case we'd be adding veterans to a young up and coming core.

Also all the veterans I suggested trading for are younger veterans except Girardi

JurassicTunga

Mar 21, 2010
Oshie, Lucic, O'Reilly are guys I want to see on the Flames. To a lesser extent, Patrick Sharp. Hopefully one of these guys are Flames by the draft.

I think Treliving is definitely looking into acquiring one of them, or someone else similar to their talents for our top 6 as it needs an upgrade for sure. Hopefully Treliving can pull off a steal.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

to Blues
● Jiri Hudler
● Markus Granlund
● 52nd Overall
to Flames
● Ryan O'Reilly
● T.J Oshie
to Avalanche
● Jay Bouwmeester

So, basically...

Avs Give: O'Reilly
Blues Give: Bouwmeester, Oshie
FLames Give: Hudler, Granlund, 2nd.

I don't think the Blues do this. I would do this trade, but I'd probably proceed to flip Oshie somewhere. Can't afford to hang on to both of them.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
- Backlund for Girardi
- Granlund for Gormley

Raymond

Giordano - Brodie
Girardi - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Gormley

Hiller
Ramo

Needs more Bennett :nod:

Aug 21, 2014
I come in peace. O'Reilly can play all 3 forward positions. Was 1st line C this year mostly and LW/RW(mostly LW) last year.

Personally I see something around 15+a 2nd+Colborne for O'Reilly+lesser prospect(Butcher?) to be close in value. He fits with your core age better than Hudler who you could trade for some futures back in return or keep him. Think it's between Calgary and Buffalo who lands him. Buffalo would offer something like 21+Zadorov I'd think.

Thank you for your insight. But I aint touchin' that. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I don't think we could move our 1st this year (maybe though), but have 3 x 2nd's which would be in play. I'd also entertain moving Wotherspoon personally.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If we can talk to him before trade about contract that would be a game changer.

I think the only way he drops salary is if we offer term. I know a lot of people are opposed to 8 year deals (as am I), but if that's what it took to get ROR to 4.5-5.5m per year, I think I'd do it.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

No thanks to our 1st, a 2nd and Colborne. ROR can have fun in Buffalo's dumb system if that's the case.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think the only way he drops salary is if we offer term. I know a lot of people are opposed to 8 year deals (as am I), but if that's what it took to get ROR to 4.5-5.5m per year, I think I'd do it.

Well, I was thinking more short term as in, we only trade for him even he is going to sign a new contract with us, otherwise whats the point.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, I was thinking more short term as in, we only trade for him even he is going to sign a new contract with us, otherwise whats the point.

Don't you think he's going to ask for more $ if he gets shorter term? Would much rather sign a 5m x 8. He'd only be 32 when his contract is over. That's pretty good value getting a player from 24-32.

Aug 21, 2014
According to Sureloss on CP, Cervenka might want to come back to the NHL. Any takers? Take another ride on the Cervenka train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad