Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know they paid a shit ton of money for a team, but I think its kinda shitty that an expansion team has a better defense than like 70% of the league without even going through a draft or a free agency. That forward group is woof though.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I love the takes in here about Holland not being done so can't complain yet and then oh man Kraken suck after literally just drafting their team.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But high end UFA acquisitions are neither the primary means to build a team nor a KPI for success (seems to be the opposite there, actually). Instead, they are a peripheral part of the job and account for a vast minority of any team's roster. So, what you are presenting here is the real false equivalency, as the salesman's entire job is to land sales. Holland's job is to build and sustain a contending team - acquiring high end UFAs is a very small part of that when measured against building via draft and trades (criticize those all you like - I generally won't argue). UFAs are a different beast, though. You can be unsuccessful in landing a blue chip UFA but that does not equal failure in my eyes, since you are almost never in control.
I agree there are many ways to build a good team and that UFAs should be lower on the totem pole in importance when building the overall roster. I am looking at this from an Edmonton Oilers centric viewpoint though which is what we are discussing, one that takes into account our lack of drafting and scouting success and sees that to really build this team (in the critical timeframe that matters, McDrai's years here) it will take the landing of one or a few impactful UFAs. So I do view UFAs in the context of the Oilers as an option to put this team on another level. Which is why I will be judging Holland on this aspect one aspect of overall team building as I will other aspects, the level of importance of these UFA misses IMO are impactful. Yours will be different depending on how you view Hall and Larsson as players.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
So Friedman pretty much just said Larsson left because of the jokes Oiler fans made about Larsson "1 or 1" etc and because the fans made him feel uncomfortable in the city..

Congratulations Amazing Oiler fans
Where did Friedman say this? And god that hurts if that’s true, the few ruined it for the many.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So Friedman pretty much just said Larsson left because of the jokes Oiler fans made about Larsson "1 or 1" etc and because the fans made him feel uncomfortable in the city..

Congratulations Amazing Oiler fans
Any fan base would have reacted like ours did. You realize most fanbases, at least in Canada, are the same right? The more they complain the more they care, to be honest.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Seattle needs a #1 C and probably another top line winger. They have a lot of money on the UFA market and guys like Tarasenko, Eichel, and even Tkachuk are rumoured on the trade market.

They have work to do, but its doable.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
No, but they have $28M in cap space and players to move, should be interesting
They can do some really neat things with that cap space. Can either long term build taken on cap for future assets or snag guys for dirt cheap from teams desperate to move players.

Will be interesting to see which way they go.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Seattle needs a #1 C and probably another top line winger. They have a lot of money on the UFA market and guys like Tarasenko, Eichel, and even Tkachuk are rumoured on the trade market.

They have work to do, but its doable.

They’re definitely going to be making some moves but Vegas has been trying to get a 1C since they’ve entered the league. That and 1D are the two toughest pieces to get

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
CapFriendly has Larsson's contract.

2021-22: $2.5 million & NTC
2022-23: $3.5 million & NTC
2023-24: $5.5 million & 10-team NTC
2024-25: $4.5 million & 10-team NTC

Reactions: vaniitio

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Where did Friedman say this? And god that hurts if that’s true, the few ruined it for the many.
There are some posters here who take assumptions from media heads as absolute fact when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Sorry dude but thats pretty soft. The jokes thing, I dont know what the other thing means.

Oilers ladies and gentleman. Theyll be here all week.

giphy.gif

Lol I'm your side. That's a terrible reason to leave

North

Jun 25, 2009
Any fan base would have reacted like ours did. You realize most fanbases, at least in Canada, are the same right? The more they complain the more they care, to be honest.

My question is did they really take it out on Larsson?

My feeling was it was always directed at Chiarelli and the fans felt that more should come back with Larsson not necessarily that Larsson was an issue.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm genuinely surprised by the Larsson love-in.

He was mediocre for as much as he was anything else here. He was a fine second pairing, shot suppressing defenseman. Nothing particularly special.

But Oilers fans have always liked hard-nosed role players too much and skill players too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad