Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Who Party A and Party B matters. Context matters. In the context of building an NHL team it matters. In the context of say a Sales Organization it matters. If a salesman constantly and consistently can't negotiate and close deals for his organization, he is fired. If a Gm constantly and consistently can't bring in talented players or lets talented players walk, he will also be fired. Now go ahead and tell me who gets fired if Margot Robbie rejects Ryan Gosling's request for a date.

But high end UFA acquisitions are neither the primary means to build a team nor a KPI for success (seems to be the opposite there, actually). Instead, they are a peripheral part of the job and account for a vast minority of any team's roster. So, what you are presenting here is the real false equivalency, as the salesman's entire job is to land sales. Holland's job is to build and sustain a contending team - acquiring high end UFAs is a very small part of that when measured against building via draft and trades (criticize those all you like - I generally won't argue). UFAs are a different beast, though. You can be unsuccessful in landing a blue chip UFA but that does not equal failure in my eyes, since you are almost never in control.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Says who exactly? The guys is 29 and has a career high of 41 points and a big reason for his season this last year could have a lot to do with playing the same 7 teams 8 times. The guy at his peak is a 50 pointer and you're totally cool with paying him until he's like 36 years old? This is how you effectively drive out talent like Mcdavid by committing term and money to bottom 6ers who give the illusion of top 6 talent.

Did you take a look at WHEN he entered the NHL? It wasn't at 18. If Hyman was just a bottom sixer, he wouldn't have as much talent he has at scoring goals. He scores goals in a way that no player on our team can. Garbage goals, in front of the net, his forechecking and cycling is great. I'm pretty not just me or you noticed how much of a pestilence he was in the offensive zone when he was on Toronto. He PKs as well. He's versatile.

I'm not saying sign him for 8 years. I'm saying sign him to a good contract

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
But high end UFA acquisitions are neither the primary means to build a team nor a KPI for success (seems to be the opposite there, actually). Instead, they are a peripheral part of the job and account for a vast minority of any team's roster. So, what you are presenting here is the real false equivalency, as the salesman's entire job is to land sales. Holland's job is to build and sustain a contending team - acquiring high end UFAs is a very small part of that when measured against building via draft and trades (criticize those all you like - I generally won't argue). UFAs are a different beast, though. You can be unsuccessful in landing a blue chip UFA but that does not equal failure in my eyes, since you are almost never in control.
Easily the most sane and logical post today that everyone here needs to read.

Reactions: nabob

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your definition of "inability" is all jacked up and your perception is ridiculously skewed.

So stop pretending you're criticizing for "an inability to make a good acquisition", because that's not what you're doing.
I am. I will chock up wins for Holland when he hits (Pulju, Barrie), and I will chock up losses for when he misses (Larsson, Hall). Go ahead and continue to tell me how I personally run my own talley on Holland's job performance is wrong cause its not how you would view it.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I am. I will chock up wins for Holland when he hits (Pulju, Barrie), and I will chock up losses for when he misses (Larsson, Hall). Go ahead and continue to tell me how I personally run my own talley on Holland's job performance is wrong cause its not how you would view it.
Base it on wins and losses, seems easier.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
never said that. Of course a GM gets judged by those things. But how much should he be judged by decisions made by others that he cannot control? But if intentionally misrepresenting what I have said is what this has degraded to then I’m done.
I lump not being able to sign Hall into the inability to make moves category. You don't, but you know I do cause we've talked about this ad nauseum. So no, it didn't degrade into misrepresenting what was implied. Either way, yes please be done so i can get back to the my Holland talley in peace.

Reactions: nabob

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Did you take a look at WHEN he entered the NHL? It wasn't at 18. If Hyman was just a bottom sixer, he wouldn't have as much talent he has at scoring goals. He scores goals in a way that no player on our team can. Garbage goals, in front of the net, his forechecking and cycling is great. I'm pretty not just me or you noticed how much of a pestilence he was in the offensive zone when he was on Toronto. He PKs as well. He's versatile.

I'm not saying sign him for 8 years. I'm saying sign him to a good contract
Who cares when he entered the NHL? That doesn't somehow mean you're going to be productive in your early to mid 30's. People act like our window is the next 5 years because its prime Draisaitl/Mcdavid but somehow a far inferior player in Hyman is going to peak from 29-36? Delusional and a severe case of optimism without anything to really substantiate it. Go take a look at Toronto's board prior to his UFA status because the same things you were complaining about in regards to Lucic (no hands and fumbling pucks) is basically what his skill set is but he's faster so we as a fanbase should ignore that? I'm sorry but being able to get garbage goals shouldn't be something you look at when handing out a contract that is beyond 3-4 years.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Bobby Ryan
Jason Demers
Darren Helm
Luke Glendening
Jimmy Vesey
Ian Cole
EDIT: David Rittich

Take your pick.

Glendening sure seems like a possibility.

The rest, I don't know. I do not think stick flip Dave Rittich is going to be an Oiler. Not just for that, but because I doubt anyone sees him as a real upgrade on Koskinen. He really shit his pants in TO.

Reactions: nabob and Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who cares when he entered the NHL? That doesn't somehow mean you're going to be productive in your early to mid 30's. People act like our window is the next 5 years because its prime Draisaitl/Mcdavid but somehow a far inferior player in Hyman is going to peak from 29-36? Delusional and a severe case of optimism without anything to really substantiate it. Go take a look at Toronto's board prior to his UFA status because the same things you were complaining about in regards to Lucic (no hands and fumbling pucks) is basically what his skill set is but he's faster so we as a fanbase should ignore that? I'm sorry but being able to get garbage goals shouldn't be something you look at when handing out a contract that is beyond 3-4 years.

Whatever man

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Holland did the exact same shit in Detroit with these type of contracts, for these type of players.

This is horrible.
It's different this time because Oilers homers.

Hyman is going to be an absolute albatross contract. Paying a massive premium for a 3rd wheel player to come in and be the 2nd guy on a line.

antropomorphia

May 9, 2021

People use the 5 year window thing because because if this org doesnt have their shit together and starts competing now instead of being first round fodder, there is a real possibility we will lose our two superstars. Would resign with this trainwreck of a team if theyre still trash in 5 years?

Holland isnt instilling too much confidence in the fanbase right now, though. I doubt he gets it done. Ill give him a couple weeks and see what he does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad