Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not thrilled about Hyman. Super not thrilled about the numbers being floated around, albeit by media types who have had their asses handed to them while prognosticating the Oilers lately.

But I'm gonna wait until the thing happens before I get all shitty about it.
Getting all shitty about it now is funner though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's not, though. It's one party making a pitch to another party regarding a major life decision in the context of an otherwise unencumbered relationship. When party A rejects party B's pitch in favour of some other outcome, your position appears to be that Party B "failed". Because, "failure" - true failure - in this scenario requires that Party B was ever in control or ever had negotiating power worth speaking of. The reality is that Party A brought all of the power and control to the negotiation and simply exercised their free will. Party B brought an offer, along with their fervent hopes and desires, and... little else...
Who Party A and Party B matters. Context matters. In the context of building an NHL team it matters. In the context of say a Sales Organization it matters. If a salesman constantly and consistently can't negotiate and close deals for his organization, he is fired. If a Gm constantly and consistently can't bring in talented players or lets talented players walk, he will also be fired. Now go ahead and tell me who gets fired if Margot Robbie rejects Ryan Gosling's request for a date.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hmmm...

For one guy to get all the names I'd think it came from one source not from all the other GM's
Not one guy. Seattle tells the teams who they're taking. From there there's a bunch of beat writers, etc. with their usual sources.

It's no surprise that a lot of the picks we heard were from the team's main Twitter guys.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Embarrassing bad.

This whole thing from knowing all the picks, to terrible on air personalities is so NHL.

I think this would have been fine IF they had been able to keep the picks a secret until they were announced. What a colossal failure to have it play out like this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
From the sounds of it, this will make Zach the most valuable Hyman in the whole world. Quite an accomplishment.

Reactions: nabob

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Point is, that's not who we got. Hyman has way more game than Lucic.
Says who exactly? The guys is 29 and has a career high of 41 points and a big reason for his season this last year could have a lot to do with playing the same 7 teams 8 times. The guy at his peak is a 50 pointer and you're totally cool with paying him until he's like 36 years old? This is how you effectively drive out talent like Mcdavid by committing term and money to bottom 6ers who give the illusion of top 6 talent.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sure we can agree to disagree that Hall was a realistic option for Holland to sign last off-season and this off-season as he never made it to free agency. That’s cool. You seem to be the only poster here who is insisting that Hall not signing here as a free agent (even though he never reached UFA this year) is a massive failure on Holland’s behalf. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around thoughts that aren’t logical to me. Sorry for dragging this out so long.

If I'm the only poster that thinks a GM should be judged by the moves he makes and the moves he's unable to make then so be it. I'm fine with this Island. It's logical to me that if a GM gets praised for a good acquisition he should also be criticized for an inability to make a good acquisition. So at this point, agree to disagree.

antropomorphia

May 9, 2021
The contract is going to be hideous I know. Its going to suck in 4-5 years I know.

But we need to compete now. Hell, we needed to compete years ago. The window is closing very fast.

I just hope he can improve our team for the next few years, thats all that really matters right now because in 4 years we might be screwed anyways.

Reactions: vaniitio

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If I'm the only poster that thinks a GM should be judged by the moves he makes and the moves he's unable to make then so be it. I'm fine with this Island. It's logical to me that if a GM gets praised for a good acquisition he should also be criticized for an inability to make a good acquisition. So at this point, agree to disagree.
Your definition of "inability" is all jacked up and your perception is ridiculously skewed.

So stop pretending you're criticizing for "an inability to make a good acquisition", because that's not what you're doing.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Says who exactly? The guys is 29 and has a career high of 41 points and a big reason for his season this last year could have a lot to do with playing the same 7 teams 8 times. The guy at his peak is a 50 pointer and you're totally cool with paying him until he's like 36 years old? This is how you effectively drive out talent like Mcdavid by committing term and money to bottom 6ers who give the illusion of top 6 talent.
I don't think that's a fair assessment of Hyman's game. He's a late bloomer, and he's put up improving numbers every season for the last four years (if you project the last two seasons based on the games lost due to COVID). There are some big concerns about Hyman's ability to stay healthy over the course of a long-term contract but he has been playing like a first line winger over the past two seasons, not a third liner.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Hyman did say he wanted to stay in Toronto. So, until that happens, I think Hyman is just doing his due diligence.

Like, how many players say they want to stay with their current team and then sign somewhere else a week later?

Hyman and Lucic are not even comparable as players .. Seriously you guys are going crazy on here

:( I know at least one

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

never said that. Of course a GM gets judged by those things. But how much should he be judged by decisions made by others that he cannot control? But if intentionally misrepresenting what I have said is what this has degraded to then I’m done.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Who Party A and Party B matters. Context matters. In the context of building an NHL team it matters. In the context of say a Sales Organization it matters. If a salesman constantly and consistently can't negotiate and close deals for his organization, he is fired. If a Gm constantly and consistently can't bring in talented players or lets talented players walk, he will also be fired. Now go ahead and tell me who gets fired if Margot Robbie rejects Ryan Gosling's request for a date.
But the measure of success is winning and/or making the playoffs. Until possibly this current offseason we have been hampered by lack of cap space. It is probably closer to the truth that Hall never intended to come here regardless of what the Alberta home builder association reported. Not really sure what swayed Larsson but again UFAs have earned the right to choose.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Your definition of "inability" is all jacked up and your perception is ridiculously skewed.

So stop pretending you're criticizing for "an inability to make a good acquisition", because that's not what you're doing.
Inability to force Taylor Hall to sign here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad