Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Oilers would be bringing in Hyman to push them over the hump in the playoffs, so hopefully his 1 point in 7 games these last playoffs was an outlier.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Just doesn’t seem like a good reason to leave, a handful fans were upset about the Hall trade and trolled him. Doesn’t mean you abandon your teammates especially considering the Oilers have been steadily improving year after year. It obviously wasn’t about money or term, Oilers offered practically the same contract so maybe he was butthurt about how certain fans treated him.
McDavid and Draisaitl have been improving and then Barrie gets gifted all those minutes while Larsson has to play with the worst bottom six in the league.

Good for him, I hope he has a lot of success away from this tire fire.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
But in all seriousness, if the fans are the main reason Larsson wanted to leave, I have a few issues with this assertion.

First, why would it come up now rather than earlier? Why ever sound like you wanted to stay?

Secondly, I understand people have varying degrees of sensitivity and “skin thickness” but one should be prepared for bullshit criticism and unjustified personal attacks if you’re going to be in the public eye. Shit, people making minimum wage in customer service (fast food etc) put up with some horrendous behaviour from fellow “humans” and basically they have to just “suck it up”

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Just doesn’t seem like a good reason to leave, a handful fans were upset about the Hall trade and trolled him. Doesn’t mean you abandon your teammates especially considering the Oilers have been steadily improving year after year. It obviously wasn’t about money or term, Oilers offered practically the same contract so maybe he was butthurt about how certain fans treated him.

Again, this was absolute pure speculation from Friedman. He confirmed from Larsson's camp that he wanted a change of scenery, then threw out 3 situations as to what HE thought might be the reason.

Reactions: Ragdoll and scott57

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
If it's 7 years 4.5 mill, I'm all for it

I think Hyman will be a swell addition.

However, down deep there's something darkly hilarious about a future Edmonton Oilers roster with a 1st line featuring 35 year old Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and 36 year old Zach Hyman.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I don't mind Hyman but please no massive overpay!!!! Just pay a fair price please Holland!
The nature of free agency is that you need to overpay to get the guy you want. If the Oilers want Hyman, they're going to have to overpay. If they offer a "fair price," Hyman will just sign with another club. I think people need to be fully prepared for $5M+ on a long-term deal.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I’d like Hyman, but I really hope that it isn’t for $6m x 6. If he wants $6m, it should be for like 4 years - he has been productive on a points per game basis, but never actually put together a 50 point season. A 6 year deal should lower that AAV to $5m or under.

Hall is signing for 6m x 4 years. So since Hyman is half the player expect us to pay double (Oilers math). 48m / 8 years 6m AAV is my guess. Hope for better expect the worst.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid and Draisaitl have been improving and then Barrie gets gifted all those minutes while Larsson has to play with the worst bottom six in the league.

Good for him, I hope he has a lot of success away from this tire fire.
Theres a reason Barrie gets those offensive minutes over Larsson.

One knows what to do with the puck, the other doesnt.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But in all seriousness, if the fans are the main reason Larsson wanted to leave, I have a few issues with this assertion.

First, why would it come up now rather than earlier? Why ever sound like you wanted to stay?

Secondly, I understand people have varying degrees of sensitivity and “skin thickness” but one should be prepared for bullshit criticism and unjustified personal attacks if you’re going to be in the public eye. Shit, people making minimum wage in customer service (fast food etc) put up with some horrendous behaviour from fellow “humans” and basically they have to just “suck it up”
Reporting you for being humanist.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

And even if it's the main reason he left... Why say otherwise at your press conference? Just say you love your teammates etc and don't talk about the fans if you don't mean it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No one close to Larsson told Friedman that he left because the fans were making 1 for 1 jokes. That's a reckless thing to post and completely made up. It was Friedman speculating on his own because he is surprised Larsson left.

"I just think that he wanted a fresh start. If you look at the last couple years, it's been pretty emotional for him... family issues. Also, I wonder if he was ever really comfortable. The trade for Hall. I think at times, the jokes, the 1-for-1... I always wonder if that ever really made him feel really comfortable in Edmonton, and at the end of the day, I think he was ready for a fresh start. I don't think Seattle really beat out Edmonton in terms of what they offered. I just think, at the end of the day, he wanted a fresh start. That's what a couple people closer have told me."

There's the full quote.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The nature of free agency is that you need to overpay to get the guy you want. If the Oilers want Hyman, they're going to have to overpay. If they offer a "fair price," Hyman will just sign with another club. I think people need to be fully prepared for $5M+ on a long-term deal.

Sure, Holland said it himself: "you have to over pay or over term." But does that "or" have to be inclusive? It sounds like Holland is going to get absolutely smoked if he makes a deal with Hyman, but we'll wait and see.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Oilers would be bringing in Hyman to push them over the hump in the playoffs, so hopefully his 1 point in 7 games these last playoffs was an outlier.

Well he's probably better than Kahun or Ennis, both were McDavid's linemates before he was reunited with Leon.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
So Friedman pretty much just said Larsson left because of the jokes Oiler fans made about Larsson "1 or 1" etc and because the fans made him feel uncomfortable in the city..

Congratulations Amazing Oiler fans

If Larsson ran from town cause of that, he needs to go find where he lost his ball sac. Imagine if he played in Toronto, Montreal, Philly....yesh!

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Well, we are desperate. We just lost a core defenseman to an expansion team, our starting goalie is 39, we just traded assets and 5.5 million in cap for a 38 year old dman well past his prime, our lineup has more holes in it than swiss cheese and were wasting the prime years of two superstars.

Did i miss anything? We have zero leverage. Everyone knows it. Teams are going to take a piece whenever they can get it.

I agree 100% so now Ken Holland has to start making miracles. I don’t know how, but good things sometimes happen to some GMs. Hell, Kevin Lowe scored Chris Pronger one offseason. We need something at that level ASAP.

Reactions: antropomorphia

North

Jun 25, 2009
It’s all about the implication. He said that we might trade a draft pick to Toronto for negotiating rights because Toronto is light on draft picks and could use the help.

We are beginning to take on the reek of desperation.

You added your own spin to Friedman’s statement.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It’s all about the implication. He said that we might trade a draft pick to Toronto for negotiating rights because Toronto is light on draft picks and could use the help.

We are beginning to take on the reek of desperation.

If that tool Holland trades yet another pick I'll explode, the oilers are light on draft picks.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Any fan base would have reacted like ours did. You realize most fanbases, at least in Canada, are the same right? The more they complain the more they care, to be honest.

Good thing he wasn't in Vancouver....you had Canucks fans calling the Sedins, the sisters.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad