Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well he's probably better than Kahun or Ennis, both were McDavid's linemates before he was reunited with Leon.

Yes, but the solution to Kahun and Ennis doesn't have to be Hyman at 6M x 6 years or whatever other absurd deal is being rumored.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
But in all seriousness, if the fans are the main reason Larsson wanted to leave, I have a few issues with this assertion.

First, why would it come up now rather than earlier? Why ever sound like you wanted to stay?

Secondly, I understand people have varying degrees of sensitivity and “skin thickness” but one should be prepared for bullshit criticism and unjustified personal attacks if you’re going to be in the public eye. Shit, people making minimum wage in customer service (fast food etc) put up with some horrendous behaviour from fellow “humans” and basically they have to just “suck it up”

Honestly if his problem actually turns out that he had a problem with (a relatively small and loud group of) fans, then good riddance. I'd actually prefer that reason as opposed to him having problems with the organization, management or the players.

It sucks to see Larsson go. He was really good this year. But he also wasnt very good the last 2 years, before this year. I think if you had asked most fans here at the start of the year, if they would sign Larsson to a 4x4 contract, it would of been overwhelming no.

I like the player but 4 years is a risky signing for him, but he is the type of player that the team needs. But if he doesnt to be here, not much anyone can do.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
No one close to Larsson told Friedman that he left because the fans were making 1 for 1 jokes. That's a reckless thing to post and completely made up. It was Friedman speculating on his own because he is surprised Larsson left.

"I just think that he wanted a fresh start. If you look at the last couple years, it's been pretty emotional for him... family issues. Also, I wonder if he was ever really comfortable. The trade for Hall. I think at times, the jokes, the 1-for-1... I always wonder if that ever really made him feel really comfortable in Edmonton, and at the end of the day, I think he was ready for a fresh start. I don't think Seattle really beat out Edmonton in terms of what they offered. I just think, at the end of the day, he wanted a fresh start. That's what a couple people closer have told me."

There's the full quote.

Respect Friedman as a reporter, but I find it hard to agree with him on this one! Hard to imagine Larsson or someone close to his camp feel the need to share any of that

Reactions: Sanchez and McTedi

OfCorsiDid

Darkness consumes everything.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I agree 100% so now Ken Holland has to start making miracles. I don’t know how, but good things sometimes happen to some GMs. Hell, Kevin Lowe scored Chris Pronger one offseason. We need something at that level ASAP.

Different situation altogether. The Blues needed to offload salary because the team was getting sold and the cap was coming into effect.

No team is in this situation this year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Participating in this period to talk to Hyman is a smart move by Holland. I know at free agency you can get the player for free, but if he's your guy, you get him, and pay the pick to get the rights if you have the contract. Letting him get to free agency reduces the odds of getting him, such as new suitors who strike out on Landeskog.

Does anyone think that we can afford not to upgrade on the wings?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Goals for/against are results.
McDavid + Larsson - 2.04 g/60 1.63 ga/60
McDavid w/o Larsson - 4.48 g/60 3.34 ga/60
McDavid + Barrie - 4.09 g/60 3.34 ga/60
McDavid w/o Barrie - 4.10 g/60 2.68 ga/60

Theres a reason gets those minutes with McDavid over Larsson.

Bringing McDavid down to a 2.04 g/60 is laughable.

Reactions: duul

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
McDavid + Larsson - 2.04 g/60
McDavid w/o Larsson - 4.48 g/60
McDavid + Barrie - 4.09 g/60
McDavid w/o Barrie - 4.10 g/60
Forwards creating less offense with Larsson on the ice aint exactly news, but the more surprising thing here to me is that McDavid's production is seemingly unaffected by Barrie. Is it just a sample size or do we need to stay the f*** away from him?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Different situation altogether. The Blues needed to offload salary because the team was getting sold and the cap was coming into effect.

No team is in this situation this year.

Well its not exactly the same but it has more similarities than the average offseason given the frozen cap crunch and multiple high profile trade requests out there, and some teams borderline insolvent after low revenue pandemic season.

antropomorphia

May 9, 2021
I wouldnt be surprised to see an asset go back to TO in order to get his rights.

Its just something I see Holland doing.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Participating in this period to talk to Hyman is a smart move by Holland. I know at free agency you can get the player for free, but if he's your guy, you get him, and pay the pick to get the rights if you have the contract. Letting him get to free agency reduces the odds of getting him, such as new suitors who strike out on Landeskog.

You don't need to give a glorified 3rd liner a long term anchor contract to upgrade the wings.

What the Oilers can't afford to do is re-commit their newfound cap space to mediocrity *again* and waste the rest of McDavid and Draisaitl's contracts.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Great, so there's already a narrative out there that our City sucks and this is why we can't convince good players to come/stay, now we also have to deal with the narrative that the people here suck? Thanks Friedman you Toronto shill.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Freaking nonsense, you get him in fa because we are going to be out paying and out terming eveyone else no doubt but doing a holland special he will kick in a draft pick for free so as not to squeeze the leafs.

I swear if we give up a pick for the right to overpay and over term freaking hyman I'll go berserk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad