Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Yah just read the bit about Hyman visiting here, Oilers probably want to lock up their guy now rather than bidding war in FA. We probably overpay either way.
Not an Oilers fan, but I feel like it was inevitable, wasn't it?

I mean, wasn't this made necessary by previous incompetence. If the Oilers weren't in such rough shape now, this wouldn't be necessary.

Do the Oilers really want to take a step back next year?

How many times can you do that before McDavid or Draisaitl asks out. Either one could sink you. It kind of forces you to make moves you prefer not to. In the long-term it will likely be terrible, but unless the Oilers make the conference finals in the next 3 years (before Draisaitl's last season), then they're probably screwed. This is a risky move, but they have no extra assets to make a better one and by the time this blows up in their face, they'll either have won a cup/made the finals or they'll be forced to rebuild anyway.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
So your statement is exactly what Friedman said?

No it includes the same amount of healthy interpretation that was applied by everyone else involved. Purple monkey dishwasher. It’s like when Larsson said he loves being a leader in Edmonton and can’t wait to re-sign. Does anyone give a shit what his verbatim words were or do they care what he was really thinking and really doing? Friedman is cagey with details sometimes but he always adds his interpretation and I’m giving you mine. If you want a literal transcript tune into Bell Satellite HD channel 826 with Described Video and Closed Captioning, but make sure you send it to some communications professors and verify that it is literal.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Hockey fans are passionate.

Sure we have a lot of guys who take it too far but so do the rest of the canadian teams.

Larsson had thousands of fans here who loved him.
passionate is not equal to being toxic bigots making players feel uncomfortable.

There has been a ton of smoke over the last 30 years about the fishbowl in edmonton.

I mean look at the words people are throwing out here about Holland, you'd think holland murdered someone close to some posters here. The discourse on HFOil is toxic, plain and simple and its a microcosm of the market as a whole, not just in Edmonton but Canada as a whole. Saying the fan base is passionate is a cop out, passion doesn't equal making jokes at the players expense. It clearly has an effect on how players perceive the market. The list of players who don't want to come here is magnitudes larger than those that do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think theres some truth to it. Edmonton generally scores low when they do players polls. Its somewhat improved since getting McDavid and Draisaitl but Oilers not being on players trade list is a pretty common theme. Not being an Holland apologist or anything, but I think too many people think its easy for a GM to get players to come here and they have all these options to improve the team.
No, I know all this and agree. Edmonton definitely is not an attractive destination for players. It's something in the past I've put out there for reasons why we should consider giving our GMs (Holland and even Chia included) some leeway. I do believe it is THE toughest GM job in the League when considering a long time frame. I got some push back on this, cause of course people will wanna defend the hometown we love and live in but its most definitely something to consider when trying to figure out "Why do the Oilers suck?"

Friedman's "speculation" IMO steps over the line though. He's literally talking about the people here and not just the city.

Reactions: FlameChampion

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
No, I know all this and agree. Edmonton definitely is not an attractive destination for players. It's something in the past I've put out there for reasons why we should consider giving our GMs (Holland and even Chia included) some leeway. I do believe it is THE toughest GM job in the League when considering a long time frame. I got some push back on this, cause of course people will wanna defend the hometown we love and live in but its most definitely something to consider when trying to figure out "Why do the Oilers suck?"

Friedman's "speculation" IMO steps over the line though. He's literally talking about the people here and not just the city.

Everyone in the hockey world was joking about 1 for 1, maybe even more so people in Toronto than in Edmonton. It hurt too much to be funny in Edmonton. He is speculating that may have made it difficult for Larsson to get comfortable here. It seems reasonable, but it probably had as much or more to do with the ‘personal reasons’ friedge alluded to. He suffered a loss here and had some tough years.

Reactions: BeanBurrito

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
There's toxic fans everywhere....Canucks fans trashed Gaudette and his wife so bad when the whole Covid thing occured with the Canucks.

Honestly if you're a famous person, just shut off social media. I am sure 99% of the people who interacted with Larsson or any famous person in the real world, treated him with respect. Social media is a cesspool.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's overstated.

You have Barrie sign here, Keith wanting to come (like him or not he is a big ticket name player who has played all of his career in Chicago, he easily could have said Vancouver or Seattle or bust), RNH commit long term here ... but because Larsson goes elsewhere people turn into drama queens.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would go for Hamonic in FA. He will come in relatively cheap and wants to be out west. A defensive dman who can fill in for Larssons d responsibilites at 1/2 the cost.
He is no Larsson. In fact, I think he's knee deep in decline and the reviews from fans that have watched him lately are not pretty. Its a suitable Plan B though if his Cap accounts for all this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He is no Larsson. In fact, I think he's knee deep in decline and the reviews from fans that have watched him lately are not pretty. Its a suitable Plan B though if his Cap accounts for all this.

He is not Larsson, he's Larsson two and a half years older. He was better than Larsson in his 20s.

But is Larsson worth 3x+ the cost and worth signing into his 30s?

OfCorsiDid

Darkness consumes everything.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Capture.JPG

Ah yes, cap friendly armchair-GM never disappoints.

North

Jun 25, 2009
No it includes the same amount of healthy interpretation that was applied by everyone else involved. Purple monkey dishwasher. It’s like when Larsson said he loves being a leader in Edmonton and can’t wait to re-sign. Does anyone give a shit what his verbatim words were or do they care what he was really thinking and really doing? Friedman is cagey with details sometimes but he always adds his interpretation and I’m giving you mine. If you want a literal transcript tune into Bell Satellite HD channel 826 with Described Video and Closed Captioning, but make sure you send it to some communications professors and verify that it is literal.

This post is just basically word salad.

You applied your own spin to Friedman’s words, that’s the upshot.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
And here we were told he left b/c of Duncan Keith? The fan thing makes more sense when you hear statements like we got today

tenor.gif
The Freidman tweet looks more like speculation, and not just fans but the media in general making fun of the whole "1 for 1" trade.
Sounds like EF suggesting Larsson could never live up to the Hall trade, and needed a fresh start from a legacy that plagued him.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
Hello People, Loooong time lurker first time posting.

While I'm not as "the sky is falling" as others I am very worried about this offseason. We are wasting McD's prime, and while I don't believe he is the type of person to ask to be let out ( although I suppose everyone has a breaking point). I'm not totally against Hyman as he does check a lot of boxes - just as long as Holland doesn't completely over pay him I'm ok with it. I do expect a small overpay as it seems to stigmata to get anyone to sign here.

Losing Larrson hurts. Theres no sugar coating it. I won't cast any shade on Holland - yet. I'll wait and see if he can do anything this offseason.

How many of us wish we didnt have Nicholson still around... this old boys club just sucks...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No one close to Larsson told Friedman that he left because the fans were making 1 for 1 jokes. That's a reckless thing to post and completely made up. It was Friedman speculating on his own because he is surprised Larsson left.

"I just think that he wanted a fresh start. If you look at the last couple years, it's been pretty emotional for him... family issues. Also, I wonder if he was ever really comfortable. The trade for Hall. I think at times, the jokes, the 1-for-1... I always wonder if that ever really made him feel really comfortable in Edmonton, and at the end of the day, I think he was ready for a fresh start. I don't think Seattle really beat out Edmonton in terms of what they offered. I just think, at the end of the day, he wanted a fresh start. That's what a couple people closer have told me."

There's the full quote.
This post needs to be pinned to the top of every f***ing page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad