Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not an Oilers fan, but I feel like it was inevitable, wasn't it?

I mean, wasn't this made necessary by previous incompetence. If the Oilers weren't in such rough shape now, this wouldn't be necessary.

Do the Oilers really want to take a step back next year?

How many times can you do that before McDavid or Draisaitl asks out. Either one could sink you. It kind of forces you to make moves you prefer not to. In the long-term it will likely be terrible, but unless the Oilers make the conference finals in the next 3 years (before Draisaitl's last season), then they're probably screwed. This is a risky move, but they have no extra assets to make a better one and by the time this blows up in their face, they'll either have won a cup/made the finals or they'll be forced to rebuild anyway.

100% agreed

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
He is no Larsson. In fact, I think he's knee deep in decline and the reviews from fans that have watched him lately are not pretty. Its a suitable Plan B though if his Cap accounts for all this.

He signed with the Canucks last year for 1.25m. He will probably come back about the same rate this year. Let's not forget, prior to last season, Larsson was a disaster himself the prior 2 seasons.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I genuinely wonder if Holland trading for Keith and protecting him rather than signing Larsson and protecting him first had any impact on Adam’s decision to leave. That would be a slap in the face imo.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Everyone in the hockey world was joking about 1 for 1, maybe even more so people in Toronto than in Edmonton. It hurt too much to be funny in Edmonton. He is speculating that may have made it difficult for Larsson to get comfortable here. It seems reasonable, but it probably had as much or more to do with the ‘personal reasons’ friedge alluded to. He suffered a loss here and had some tough years.

It was the Oiler haters that harped on about "1 for 1", why the hell would we make fun of ourselves? Also, at the time as there is with any major trade there will be rationalizations. A lot of the fanbase was done with Hall at the point, myself to a degree as well identifying how bad our D was and getting myself hyped over Larsson's pre-draft scouting reports which indicated a higher ceiling. Then we finally made the playoffs and made some noise, I think it was universally accepted at the time that the move was the right move for this team when 2016 happened. Rereading Friedman's statement, he doesn't out right say it and its nothing you can nail him for.. but look at how this is worded: "Also, I wonder if he was ever really comfortable. The trade for Hall. I think at times, the jokes, the 1-for-1... I always wonder if that ever really made him feel really comfortable in Edmonton, and at the end of the day, I think he was ready for a fresh start."

The bolded constitutes an implication to me. An implication that it was Edmonton's fan base making the jokes and the uncomfortable environment.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I genuinely wonder if Holland trading for Keith and protecting him rather than signing Larsson and protecting him first had any impact on Adam’s decision to leave. That would be a slap in the face imo.

How is that a slap in the face? They don't even play the same side of the ice...not like Keith was gonna push Larsson down to 3rd pair.

Mrgnwllm

Apr 11, 2021
I like Hyman and won’t hold the contract against him.
I think he will do some damage with Connor and on PP1. He’s got great hands in front of net.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

So Larsson didn't want the team to improve? Larsson was threatened by a guy not taking his position nor his minutes?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This post is just basically word salad.

You applied your own spin to Friedman’s words, that’s the upshot.

I brought what he was saying rather than what he literally said. I never claimed what I wrote to be a transcription. You took issue with an interpretation of a source from another source that presumably came from the player or agent. You don’t seem to understand where you are (a hockey fan forum) and I’m not sure what you think your words are communicating here other than that you might be a wad.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Not a chance

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gotta disagree Hamonic was allways over rated. Hamonic=Sucks now.

I know you're a Flamer account and are sour that Treliving gave away a 1st round pick, but in 2016 the Islanders probably could've gotten Hall for Hamonic if they weren't stupid and took advantage of Chia again.

Hamonic was definitely more highly thought of in the past.

Neither are anything great.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hello People, Loooong time lurker first time posting.

While I'm not as "the sky is falling" as others I am very worried about this offseason. We are wasting McD's prime, and while I don't believe he is the type of person to ask to be let out ( although I suppose everyone has a breaking point). I'm not totally against Hyman as he does check a lot of boxes - just as long as Holland doesn't completely over pay him I'm ok with it. I do expect a small overpay as it seems to stigmata to get anyone to sign here.

Losing Larrson hurts. Theres no sugar coating it. I won't cast any shade on Holland - yet. I'll wait and see if he can do anything this offseason.

How many of us wish we didnt have Nicholson still around... this old boys club just sucks...
For UFAs, Edmonton will continue to overpay. Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad