GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Don't get it for Edmonton. Is Sam O'Reilly really worth that? Especially since you now can't use that 1st rounder in a trade for a rental or an established player, when you're smack in the middle of your contending window.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Adams bullet points

Edited: One player they liked at 11 that ended up not being there (Catton or Ykemchuck you think ? @Old Navy Goat ?, a group of players they liked at 14 and Helenius was one

3 or 4 calls while on the clock to move down again, but did not want to miss Helenius

We were very aggressive, there weren't trades available for players to get other teams to make

No trade for players the entire night happened

We put together strong offers in the afternoon for picks/prospects/package, then around draft time realized teams were no going to make deals for players

There will be things that continue into tonight and ongoing conversations, but it takes two to make a trade

Teams checked in on Sabres prospects, they focused for other prospects (me: McGroaty perhaps ?) or draft picks

Open to moving a prospect two, and has made a push, but willingness on other sides not there

Adams knows Oli well, talked to Sabres a lot to Sabres guys about Helenius, work ethic, etc

Stronger and more physically prepared than Ostlund was

KA likes having the teams together for the draft

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Adams bullet points

Edited: One player they liked at 11 that ended up not being there (Catton or Ykemchuck you think ? @Old Navy Goat ?, a group of players they liked at 14 and Helenius was one

3 or 4 calls while on the clock to move down again, but did not want to miss Helenius

We were very aggressive, there weren't trades available for players to get other teams to make

No trade for players the entire night happened

We put together strong offers in the afternoon for picks/prospects/package, then around draft time realized teams were no going to make deals for players

There will be things that continue into tonight and ongoing conversations, but it takes two to make a trade

Teams checked in on Sabres prospects, they focused for other prospects (me: McGroaty perhaps ?) or draft picks

Open to moving a prospect two, and has made a push, but willingness on other sides not there

Adams knows Oli well, talked to Sabres a lot to Sabres guys about Helenius, work ethic, etc

Stronger and more physically prepared than Ostlund was

KA likes having the teams together for the draft
Guessing it would have been Yakemchuk

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I mean, that's their MO. Rosen, Kulich, Kisakov, Neuchev, all guys they got to Rochester early.
There's reasons why in that they have better control over the Russians, Kulich was in a 3rd tier league, and Rosen was bouncing between teams. They left Ostlund as they were happy with his situation so he could add size and strength

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I mean, that's their MO. Rosen, Kulich, Kisakov, Neuchev, all guys they got to Rochester early.
Yeah, it's their MO.....but Rosen, Kisakov and Neuchev were all being jerked around by their organizations and clearly weren't phsyically developing. It's also interesting to note that Poltapov is getting jerked around a little, but we haven't gotten him over yet.

I get why they'd want Helenuis over here sooner rather than later, but he appears to be in a good spot. I've got no issue with him getting another year over in Finland before coming over here.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Catton going 8 made me perfectly fine with the trade back. Getting Helenius there because other teams reached is just a sweetener.

Taking the draft as a whole......the guys that went in the top 12 were by and large the guys that were "supposed" to go in the top 12. Yeah, their order wasn't exactly "right".....but really the only "invader" in the top 15 was Luchanko, and he was a late riser.

This was truly an "eye of the beholder" draft after Macklin.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Yeah, it's their MO.....but Rosen, Kisakov and Neuchev were all being jerked around by their organizations and clearly weren't phsyically developing. It's also interesting to note that Poltapov is getting jerked around a little, but we haven't gotten him over yet.

I get why they'd want Helenuis over here sooner rather than later, but he appears to be in a good spot. I've got no issue with him getting another year over in Finland before coming over here.
Poltapov can't come over as he's still under contract. Next year he'll be here

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad