Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Not sure about Monahan. Seeing as they wanted to fix their GA, a two-way C would be preferable. But what do I know...

I'm wondering more what we do with our top pair RD position?

Jiricek I would rather keep in the AHL for another year. Gudbranson isn't a fit. Severson maybe, but didn't get good results with Werenski last year. Roy/Walker/Pesce are all going to get big long term deals that we shouldn't do.

Trade for one year of Ekblad? It looks like the Panthers would rather move on from him.

Nate Schmidt? His offense has really fallen off but he still had good defensive stats. You might get him on a show-me deal.

Call me crazy but I'm curious how Denton Mateychuk would look on the right side for a bit. He looked good in Cleveland to me.
Unless they are signing a guy like Alexandre Carrier, it sure seems like it's heading towards Severson-Gudbranson-Jiricek on the right side.

Maybe a Laine trade would return an RD. As such, Ekblad is probably the best target for a trade that I've heard that has at least some basis in reality. That would necessitate the dreaded retention though. Pietrangelo would probably be a good target too, but that's just not happening.

What other veteran stopgap RD are there that could realistically targeted in a Laine trade? Spurgeon? Faulk? Manson? Trouba? Carlson?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unless they are signing a guy like Alexandre Carrier, it sure seems like it's heading towards Severson-Gudbranson-Jiricek on the right side.

I hope not. I don't think any of those three are slotted well. Have Wads watch some Jiricek video, it will put some sense into him.

Carrier just extended in Nashville tonight.

Maybe a Laine trade would return an RD. As such, Ekblad is probably the best target for a trade that I've heard that has at least some basis in reality. That would necessitate the dreaded retention though. Pietrangelo would probably be a good target too, but that's just not happening.

The cap difference between Ekblad and Laine is only about a million. The issue I see is that Ekblad probably wouldn't accept a trade for one year here. He probably prefers to land in his long term destination. But he's overrated and not a guy I want to pay long term.

What other veteran stopgap RD are there that could realistically targeted in a Laine trade? Spurgeon? Faulk? Manson? Trouba? Carlson?

The only one of those guys that I know is on the market is Trouba, and he's got two years left and is very overpaid, would also probably throw a hysterical public fit if he was traded. I don't want that diva on this team.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I hope not. I don't think any of those three are slotted well. Have Wads watch some Jiricek video, it will put some sense into him.

Carrier just extended in Nashville tonight.

The cap difference between Ekblad and Laine is only about a million. The issue I see is that Ekblad probably wouldn't accept a trade for one year here. He probably prefers to land in his long term destination. But he's overrated and not a guy I want to pay long term.

The only one of those guys that I know is on the market is Trouba, and he's got two years left and is very overpaid, would also probably throw a hysterical public fit if he was traded. I don't want that diva on this team.
All legitimate concerns. A Laine trade might return a guy that's not publically on the market. It depends on Laine's perceived value. But I think we might be looking at those three RD guys sticking around. Unless Severson will be Werenski's partner and they bring in a guy for the two bottom pairs on a one-year deal to let Jiricek play in the AHL. I have a hard time seeing them sign a guy like Roy.

EDIT: I guess Matt Dumba could be a UFA target as well. I don't know how excited I'd be about it, though.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Really wish we could get a laine trade done, the return would answer a few questions. But since we all have no say in that, im gonna guess we sign 2 people later today. Probably nothing "Wow!" but definite puzzle pieces

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Dumba could work. Tell him not to jump up in the offense. Injuries have decreased the effectiveness of his shot. 1 year deal and trade him to a contender at the deadline.
Next to Werenski, I'd expect him to have a defensive role, so offense would be low priority. His projected term length is 3 years, which fits what CBJ are doing long-term.

Reactions: koteka

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not going to pretend Bean and Nylander make sense to keep, I think personally I would have kept Alex but whatever I can accept and see moving on from them.

That said, if Waddell isn't going to make big moves in FA, how is he fixing the defense? I'm reading people saying he's going to buyout Boqvist and trade one of Olivier/Danforth?

These are all bold moves but I'm not exactly sure the direction he's going in to replace them either.
I think the biggest moves you're going to see is in the coaching and system. I refuse to believe this team has no talent... just lack structure and direction. UFA is not the way to build. They'll use as a stop gap and to add leadership. The young players will get time to actually develop based on what GMDW appears to be trying to do. I guess we'll see what happens today.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
That 4x $5.5M for Bertuzzi sounds like something we would've liked too?

Shame about Blanks, he's such a great guy to root for.

I, too, will attempt to trust the process and see what the team looks like in a week. Interesting days ahead for sure.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'd still love to see a run at Rasmus Andersson. Pipe dream but seems like a great fit but the cost is unlikely appealing.

As to the moves yesterday...ask yourself, first, who was a long term piece? Then ask, do you really think they would not be qualified if another team really wanted them. Some were over paid for their role, some injured too often to have value with no risk, some didn't have an NHL future. None are major losses, some I'm sad to see go. Nylander still a little bit of a head scratcher to at least qualify, but the only good history was 25ish games in a terrible team getting good minutes that would be gone this year and he's not a contributor to a checking line role.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
DW seems to be making some hard decisions that had to be made about some of the excesses that have populated our rosters over the past few years. To me it seems we have to believe he knows what he is doing and "trust the process" even though we might not be able to see exactly where it is going at this time.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He should honestly stop playing hockey while he's got his whole life in front of him.
Not to suggest that the play style is so significantly different, but what he should do before he quits the game is sign in the Swiss league or Czech or German league and get paid to play hockey while living in a cool different country for a few years. Then come back home and work your way into coaching if you've still got the bug.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Between Texier, Boquist, Nylander, Blankenburg and even Meyer (local kid), it looks like D-Wad has bummed out just about everyone with at least one of them being gone. That's mostly guys on the margins or at the bottom of the lineup. Just sort of a big sweep of Jarmo's depth, if you will.

I know I expected at least one bigger thing with one of the "core" RFAs - Marchy, Chinny, KJ, etc - but could be we have to wait and see what happens with Laine before he can do any more. Or maybe he never intended to fuss with that group.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Between Texier, Boquist, Nylander, Blankenburg and even Meyer (local kid), it looks like D-Wad has bummed out just about everyone with at least one of them being gone. That's mostly guys on the margins or at the bottom of the lineup. Just sort of a big sweep of Jarmo's depth, if you will.

I know I expected at least one bigger thing with one of the "core" RFAs - Marchy, Chinny, KJ, etc - but could be we have to wait and see what happens with Laine before he can do any more. Or maybe he never intended to fuss with that group.
I am expecting 2 UFA signings - 1 today and 1 this week. Then the Laine item, maybe he stays (DW hasn't talked to him ) or most likely he goes and expect most likely a 1 for 1 trade (Askarov and pick??).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad