Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't think people realize that Parenteau and Versteeg may not be good but they are still better than breaking in 2 rookies. That's where the frustration is coming from.

Please find more than a handful of teams in the NHL that are not breaking in rookies to start the season?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think people realize that Parenteau and Versteeg may not be good but they are still better than breaking in 2 rookies. That's where the frustration is coming from.

People realize sometimes that may be the case. They also realize those rookies likely aren't going to but put on the top line unless they show they can play there, thus not really rushing them at all.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Am I the only one who thought Versteeg wasn't that good in camp? Sure he would have been nice as a vet, but the sky shouldn't be falling over losing out on a guy like him.

Nope. I'm glad Slepyshev makes the team instead of Versteeg.

Slepyshev is far bigger, faster, and a much more tenacious checker. He's much better suited to the 3rd line over the longer term. He's also got some nice skills for a checking line player.

Slepyshev is badly underrated by Oilers fans, but it's pretty obvious that Mclellan likes him.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Don't you know? Everyone on the Oilers sucks and every other player in the league is superior.

It might have something to do with setting an NHL record for most consecutive years outside of the playoffs. So yes, bad management (which is mostly still here BTW), gets bad players.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Cam Talbot example is simply to show you the value of a goalie in the trade, UFA market etc. We clearly could have had the equivalent of Cam Talbot for a relatively low price. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Except you wouldn't have had close to the equivalent of Talbot. You would have had Condon or Wedgewood.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looking at it from Versteeg viewpoint.

He knows that he's going to end up fighting for icetime with Pulj and if Pulj plays well, he's likely PB for lengths of time. Then a team that is even closer to home comes in and offers the same deal and doesn't have the competition for icetime.

Kind of a no-brainer from his standpoint.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
How exactly is Puljujarvi thrown to the wolves playing on the 3rd line? Are the Jets throwing Laine to the wolves? The Leafs doing the same to Matthews, Marner, Nylander? The Flames with Tkachuk? All those guys are probably going to be on the 1st or 2nd line for their respective teams.

If the third line is

Maroon cagguila pulu

Then they're both being thrown to the wolves. There was zero reason to rush pulu right now. Cagguila earned his spot, but it feels like pulu could have gone either way, and having him start in the ahl while caguilla learns the nhl game, and if he sets the ahl on fire bring him up.

I'm just tired of asking rookies to play over their heads, and having no fallback for if they falter, like nurse when he needed to go down and we had nobody to allow that.

Also, of all those teams you mentioned, I would try my best to avoid being like any of them...

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
People realize sometimes that may be the case. They also realize those rookies likely aren't going to but put on the top line unless they show they can play there, thus not really rushing them at all.

There really is a no win situation with rookies in our lineup. Either they get played in the bottom six, and people get mad that they get no ice time, and no good players to play with, or they get played in the top six and people get mad that they are forced to do too much, and get exposed.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nope. I'm glad Slepyshev makes the team instead of Versteeg.

Slepyshev is far bigger, faster, and a much more tenacious checker. He's much better suited to the 3rd line over the longer term. He's also got some nice skills for a checking line player.

Slepyshev is badly underrated by Oilers fans, but it's pretty obvious that Mclellan likes him.
Yeah I like slepy. Still having that veteran depth would be nice. Not too happy with how this played out.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Where is Steve Pinnizotto when you need him...:sarcasm:.... on the bright side we are discussing viable NHL players this year.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Kris Versteeg in a shock of events turns heel... I'm okay with that because it adds more substance to the battle of Alberta.

I really would've preferred to have Puljujarvi down in the minors but oh well. I hope he proves me wrong.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It might have something to do with setting an NHL record for most consecutive years outside of the playoffs. So yes, bad management (which is mostly still here BTW), gets bad players.

Eberle sucks. Maroon is worse than Yakupov. We need Ben Scrivens back. Marincin had Norris potential.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Yakupov to St. Louis
Versteeg to Calgary.

I mean I get why these are happening, why is there no backup plan?

Pulkkinen or Parenteau are such easy backup plans and give flexibility to Drai playing 2RW or 3C.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Sounds like it if he betrays the Oilers.

Versteeg would have been released from his PTO before talking to Calgary (or at the very least given permission by the Oilers).

Can't blame him for taking a guaranteed contract.

Versteeg is an NHL journeyman who will bounce around from team to team for the next couple of years before either trying again in Europe or retiring.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kris Versteeg in a shock of events turns heel... I'm okay with that because it adds more substance to the battle of Alberta.

I really would've preferred to have Puljujarvi down in the minors but oh well. I hope he proves me wrong.

I still believe Puljujarvi will be sent down. If he is on the roster I agree that it is not ideal, but at the same time I will give him a chance. It is a bit of a better situation than what Drai went into during his rookie year considering the defense is a lot better and he doesn't have to be in the top six. Also, I think Pulju is a better prospect than Drai was.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
How exactly is Puljujarvi thrown to the wolves playing on the 3rd line? Are the Jets throwing Laine to the wolves? The Leafs doing the same to Matthews, Marner, Nylander? The Flames with Tkachuk? All those guys are probably going to be on the 1st or 2nd line for their respective teams.

Because every single one of those players have looked better than Pulju this preseason.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
We have no top 9 forward depth at all now.

And in the top 9, right now, we have two players with no track record of being able to perform there.

This is a pretty mind bogglingly dumb risk to take. What is wrong with having actual skill depth?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The Cam Talbot example is simply to show you the value of a goalie in the trade, UFA market etc. We clearly could have had the equivalent of Cam Talbot for a relatively low price. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Suggesting that Talbot=Condon is absolutely ridiculous. Chia also made that move the day after two other teams gave up 1st round picks+ to get their starting goalies, and he managed to get Talbot for a second. That is one of the best moves he's made here quite easily.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
When did the problem of putting rookies in prominent positions with no competition turn into this team can't have any rookies on it?

Complaints about the final roster decisions are valid but some of the overreaction is ridiculous.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't want to freak out about Versteeg, I don't think he is a high impact player at this stage of his career and he is not some great loss, but I do believe he would of made us a better team and he adds some needed veteran leadership into our line-up. More importantly is that we were supposed to be a team moving away from gifting rookies roster spots, but it seems we are right back to doing exactly that, what happened to the rhetoric of a year ago and the importance of making them compete for jobs and being more true to the Detroit model of better a prospect be overripe so they never get sent back down again to underripe and potentially bouncing between the NHL and AHL.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Except you wouldn't have had close to the equivalent of Talbot. You would have had Condon or Wedgewood.

Are you saying that none of the goalies which have traded hands in the NHL since Talbot are no where near as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad