Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
I am not trying to defend the Oilers here but I think there are a few points that need to be acknowledged.

First, it is pretty clear if you look at the Flames wing depth that Versteeg has an immediate opportunity to go in and play some impact minutes. He simply would not have had that same opportunity here.
Way too many people are worried about how Puljujarvi and Caggiula are going to handle a role in the top 9. It is pretty much guaranteed that they are going to face softer minutes than pretty much any line due to the forward depth that has been created this summer. In fact, as I have seen many posters say, this is the very role in which many say Yakupov should have been utilized. JP will get an opportunity to see some pp minutes, while being brought along slowly and developed at the best level in the world, surrounded by strong leaders and veteran hockey players.

The culture and structure under Mclellan is not the same as it has been for previous years, and the oilers have a unique opportunity to use their lineup in a way the oilers have not been able to in many many years. This is far from rookies being brought in over their heads, playing way above where they should be. A veteran line of Hendricks(Pitlick) Letestu Kassian is able to handle some tough starts, combined with a very solid top 6 forward unit.

Second, a poster mentioned the oilers passed on Frk, how would that be better than what they already have? I keep hearing the word depth being mentioned without any consideration towards how Mclellan will implement his roster. Additionally, Chiarelli has shown one of his strengths is to be able to find players into the year to address forward roster spots. Adding a waiver wire player in October, which takes up a contract, could affect his ability to pick up a Kassian or Maroon later on in the year. I believe Oilers management feels it is important not to handcuff yourself to contracts so early in the year when the options in-house appear to be better. Of course, how the Oilers start will be indicative of whether Chiarelli and Mclellan put together a competitive roster, but the reasoning that has led to their decisions appears, at least to me, sound when considering how they will potentially use their lineup.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Pitlick and Slepyshev have done just about everything they needed to to make the team. Not sure why we need Versteeg.

Bottom 6:
Maroon - Caggiula - Pitlick
Slepyshev - Letestu - Hendricks
Lander/Pakarinen

Pulju can still be sent down.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think you read the question.

What's the point of naming rookies on other teams? That's not what we are trying to do here. We did that and it got us nowhere. Caggiula and Pulju will be a big part of the Oilers. Let's develop them properly

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Are you saying that none of the goalies which have traded hands in the NHL since Talbot are no where near as good?

I'm saying you're equating a starting NHL goalie to a guy who can barely play in the league.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I'll still never understand how to some people "rookie vs. non-rookie" is more of an issue than the actual player himself.

Maybe because our rookies haven't exactly been lighting it up in training camp. Its not like these are McDavid level rookies who are ready to come in and produce. It would be nice to have some sort of back up plan.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
If winger depth is the oilers biggest problem that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world.

It is not. The goal tending scares the hell out of me. We don't have a backup goalie, and Talbot had a bad streak to start last season.

The right side defence is still weak.

BTW, Nurse for Trouba please. Nurse will break a lot of hearts in this town, trading for Trouba gets us a better player and fixes a glaring hole.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We must be the only fanbase who worries about a young skilled player burning out. Calgary sure doesn't worry about that with Bennett. They want him to get heavy minutes in the top 6.

Bennett was NHL ready when they bumped him up. Pulju looks timid and completely lost. So many question marks in the top 9 now and little proven depth in case of injury when they didn't really have let it come down to this. Not to mention Drai and Cagguila learning new positions.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'll still never understand how to some people "rookie vs. non-rookie" is more of an issue than the actual player himself.

we are now into double digits of top picks and prospects who were rushed and failed to live up to expectations--go through the last ten years of top picks and prospects that we rushed instead of developing

we are now double digits

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe because our rookies haven't exactly been lighting it up in training camp. Its not like these are McDavid level rookies who are ready to come in and produce. It would be nice to have some sort of back up plan.

Maybe Versteeg did not want to be a back-up plan. Gryba had no other options so he was forced into that role. There are two parties to consider in signing a UFA contract.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
What's the point of naming rookies on other teams? That's not what we are trying to do here. We did that and it got us nowhere. Caggiula and Pulju will be a big part of the Oilers. Let's develop them properly

The very fact that you think Caggiula and JP will only be developed properly by playing in the AHL fails to take into account that a veteran NHL coach, who has successfully developed players like this in the past, who has spent months with each player, is not possibly capable of knowing what is healthy for their development?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Ok, but you realize not every rookie "develops properly" in the AHL, right? That some may benefit from getting fewer minutes in a tougher league? It's a player-by-player situation.

So having a rookie who has proven he can play very well in a league likely better than the AHL on the opening roster (which doesn't mean anything anyway) doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.

Is there a permanence I'm missing here?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It is not. The goal tending scares the hell out of me. We don't have a backup goalie, and Talbot had a bad streak to start last season.

The right side defence is still weak.

BTW, Nurse for Trouba please. Nurse will break a lot of hearts in this town, trading for Trouba gets us a better player and fixes a glaring hole.

The Jets aren't trading Trouba for our AHLer.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
we are now into double digits of top picks and prospects who were rushed and failed to live up to expectations--go through the last ten years of top picks and prospects that we rushed instead of developing

we are now double digits

I'd love a list. I'd also love to see the proof that sending Gagner back to trounce the OHL or Nugent-Hopkins the WHL would have made them better hockey players in the NHL.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good thing we passed on PAP hey guys? Could never imagine a situation where we might need some extra depth. No way.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just the dumb ones, which keep piling up.

Looking like we're breaking camp with

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi
Pitlick-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Davidson

So two rookies in the top 9, Drai and Drake out of position, Russell in the top four and playing on his off side and Nurse with the big team despite a middling camp. Craig Chia is on it.

Nurse had a strong camp outside of one period paired with Fayne. Also both Drai and Drake are playing positions that they play. Moving Drai to left wing or Drake to RW would be playing them out of position.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope. I'm glad Slepyshev makes the team instead of Versteeg.

Slepyshev is far bigger, faster, and a much more tenacious checker. He's much better suited to the 3rd line over the longer term. He's also got some nice skills for a checking line player.

Slepyshev is badly underrated by Oilers fans, but it's pretty obvious that Mclellan likes him.

I don't disagree with this. Versteeg lost just about every puck battle he was involved in during preseason and was sat on his ass numerous times. He's essentially a small skilled winger, who isn't skilled enough for our top 6. Sure he's a vet and brings sound positional play, but he's not a great 2 way player by any means, and he certainly can't manufacture offence on his own without skilled top 6 players.

He wouldn't hurt as depth, but this is far from a significant loss. Is he even healthy enough to play right now?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That is not what I asked. Look at the rosters across the NHL. Almost all them are starting the 2016-17 season with numerous rookies in the line-up.

I understood your question. I didn't see a point in doing so. This is the Oilers. We can't worry about 2 rookies when he have other holes to worry about. Bringing in vets like Versteeg and Parenteau will minimize those holes. It's not like I think they are world beaters either. But it's about protecting our assets. Caggiula and Pulju are our long term assets.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Welp. This isn't gonna go well.

Yikes at that forward group. Yikes at that D.

At least we have a goalie.

6God*

The stupidity of this organization blows my mind every year.

Sign Gryba. Let Versteg walk....WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad