Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'd love a list. I'd also love to see the proof that sending Gagner back to trounce the OHL or Nugent-Hopkins the WHL would have made them better hockey players in the NHL.

we rushed them--they were not ready--keeping then onb the roster stunted their growth

but you know--you right--let keep repeating the same mistakes we have been making--double digit wasted prospects--all the fault of the player

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
we rushed them--they were not ready--keeping then onb the roster stunted their growth

but you know--you right--let keep repeating the same mistakes we have been making--double digit wasted prospects--all the fault of the player

Prove it. That's what I'm asking you to do. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying there's no way for you to know.

We all knew at the time that sending Nugent-Hopkins back to the WHL wouldn't benefit him in the slightest.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To pull a projected Flames roster from the Versteeg signing thread:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson

Unless I'm missing something, I count ONE rookie in that starting lineup. So basically the Flames decided it was a bad idea to throw multiple rookies (one of which has never played centre before...) to fill spots.

The cup-winning Penguins will likely be running at most 1 rookie to fill in temporarily on the 4th line with Crosby out.

Looking at Dallas, I don't see any rookies:
Benn-Seguin-Eaves
Hudler-Spezza-Sharp
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie
McKenzie-Korpikoski-Shore-Cracknell

Faksa? I thought he played on the big club last year, but even if not, that's one rookie.

I'm not going to go through every other team, but there you have 3 teams that play systems similar to what I'd hope Edmonton is running since they have McDavid. Each team is at a different stage of maturity/winning, but they all have one thing in common: they're not relying on rookies to save the day. Yet somehow Edmonton is doing this YET AGAIN.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Versteeg made a choice to play in Calgary. Not sure that makes the Oilers look good at all.

It could be as simple as "Well Calgary has less depth on the RW so I have a better chance of playing there than with Edmonton". Doesn't mean we didn't treat him fairly, just a numbers game. Add in the fact that we probably had a contract for him ready to go but Chia might have wanted to wait until his injury was settled but since the Flames said they would sign him regardless of injury, he jumped.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ok, but you realize not every rookie "develops properly" in the AHL, right? That some may benefit from getting fewer minutes in a tougher league? It's a player-by-player situation.

So having a rookie who has proven he can play very well in a league likely better than the AHL on the opening roster (which doesn't mean anything anyway) doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.

Is there a permanence I'm missing here?

The ones who develop in the NHL are exception to the rule not the norm. McDavid for example is an exception. Not many guys like him are around.

How many times we asked ourselves, imagine RNH, Hall, Yak, Schultz had more AHL time to develop their game. There's a good chances their game would have been better long term. Caggiula and Pulju should not be any different.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good thing we passed on PAP hey guys? Could never imagine a situation where we might need some extra depth. No way.

There's a reason the Avs had to add a 5th round pick to move Parenteau for Briere, who at that point in his career was a 4th line player. PAP just isn't very good and he's a massive floater.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Flames have poor wing depth. Not surprised that he chose to sign there and play top 6 instead of bottom six here. He didn't have a very good preseason and is hurt. Not a big loss at all.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well looks like we got cuckolded by our Cowtown neighbors again

yay they won the Versteeg sweepstakes. Woopdeedoo

Just to put this in perspective, I don't blame Versteeg since there's a good chance he will see top six time in Calgary. That's how deep we are on the wings.

North

Jun 25, 2009

This will shut the people up with the "Chia is the worst GM in the league because he can't sign Versteeg" crap.

Chances are he saw what was abundantly clear: he'd have a better opportunity to play top 6 minutes on the Flames.

With the Oilers he would have probably been playing on the third line.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Unless I'm missing something, I count ONE rookie in that starting lineup. So basically the Flames decided it was a bad idea to throw multiple rookies (one of which has never played centre before...) to fill spots.

The cup-winning Penguins will likely be running at most 1 rookie to fill in temporarily on the 4th line with Crosby out.

Benn-Seguin-Eaves
Hudler-Spezza-Sharp
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie

Faksa? I thought he played on the big club last year, but even if not, that's one rookie.

I'm not going to go through every other team, but there you have 3 teams that play systems similar to what I'd hope Edmonton is running since they have McDavid. Each team is at a different stage of maturity/winning, but they all have one thing in common: they're not relying on rookies to save the day. Yet somehow Edmonton is doing this YET AGAIN.

Cup winning Pens ran with a rookie goalie in the playoffs. A guy who had 13 regular season games under his belt....and yes Fleury was injured for a bit, but they stuck it out with Murray.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Ouch. Versteeg played us. He's a solid 3rd liner, I wanted the Oilers to sign him. He's probably not the difference between playoffs or not, but I do think it was a missed opportunity. I'm curious if the Oil offered him a deal as well, and he had a choice, or if Edmonton chose not to.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Versteeg made a choice to play in Calgary. Not sure that makes the Oilers look good at all.

Not really surprising. Versteeg wanted to play near his home(Lethbridge). Stupid Calgary.

Don't think it really has any statement on the Oilers at all, except that they didn't offer enough above the Flames offer to finish the deal.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016

Benn-Seguin-Eaves
Hudler-Spezza-Sharp
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie

How many rookies did Pittsburgh start last year?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Cup winning Pens ran with a rookie goalie in the playoffs. A guy who had 13 regular season games under his belt.

And they had Fleury ready to go in case he faltered. We have Talbot and basically nobody given the Monster's track record the last few years. What's our backup plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad