Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Look, you give him his 9 games...if he's not performing, you send him down. People act like he can't go down now that he's on the opening day roster.

Having Versteeg would have made sending him down a lot easier.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
If you can't see the difference between a rookie forcing their way onto the roster and making a rookie your go-to plan from day 1, I don't have anything else to discuss with you.

He's going to play on the 3rd line. You act like Puljujarvi is going to slot in at #1 RW.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yeah this is Versteeg we're talking about. They can have him!
I don't think there's a big drop off (if any) from Versteeg to Slepeshev. No one to blame here. Calgary is the team closer to winning this year. If you're Versteeg you want to go where you can win.

Am I the only one who sees us getting more use out of Slepyshev than I do Versteeg?

Especially in the roles where we need them to play.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Mclellans decision to play Drai on the wing basically means the third line is going to be super sheltered. The top 6 forwards will all likely be playing close to 20 min a night, and the 4th line will be taking the tough defensive assignments. If the team falters again this year it's because of the top 6, not because of putting a rookie on the third line(one who has already played two years of pro hockey against men).

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yak, Gagner, Cogs, MPS etc. What did NHL experience from the get go do for them?

I'm not sure if you're actually serious about Cogliano, but what would more OHL time have done for Gagner? Yakupov was a first overall pick, and while it didn't happen, of course they were waiting for him to explode - we don't know that AHL time would have changed that at all. Paajarvi played just as many AHL games as NHL in his first three seasons.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
uggg.... what a stupid decision

hopefully its just a temporary thing until pak/hendricks comes back from injury, and then pulj is in the AHL for the rest of the year.... still though, signing versteeg made WAAAAAY more sense

Seems odd. I can't believe they want to keep JP up. He did not kill it by any means. Everything points to sending him to Bakersfield as the best course of action and yet they seem to be clearing a path for him.

I can't see a single good reason for Pulj to start the season in the NHL.

This is weird

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree that their forward lineup is unimpressive, but I'd probably wait to mock the Flames until after we've actually proven we're not somehow crappier than them.

Yet again. Despite starting our rebuild years before them.

Both teams will be golfing in April. They're relying on Brian Elliott to save them. I don't think the Oilers will pass the Flames in the standings but they're not that much better than we are.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Another reason why McLellan and Chia didn't sign Versteeg immediately. They were probably worried he was going to be injured still. How would you guys feel about signing Versteeg only to find out he can't play the first few games of the season? I bet you Calgary didn't even look at the medical part of him and just went out and signed him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yup, Stauffer is right on the money. And all his ranting about how Pulju would be our 2nd best RW by the end of the season was a solid indication of how management feels about rushing him. Looks like Pulju is here to stay and that has been the plan all along. Shades of Drai's rookie year, he's gonna have to do very poorly for an extended period to finally get sent down.

there's no indication that that will be the case. If you recall, Drai getting sent down was tough because it was to the CHL, and we wanted his team to trade his rights to a team like Kelowna. If JP shows to be a liability, he will be sent to the AHL as quickly as Slepyshev was sent down last year.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah this is Versteeg we're talking about. They can have him!
I don't think there's a big drop off (if any) from Versteeg to Slepeshev. No one to blame here. Calgary is the team closer to winning this year. If you're Versteeg you want to go where you can win.

Agreed also Calgary does not have much forward depth, way easier for versteeg to stick there, probably plays top 6 as well. I would have liked the veteran proven player in our bottom 6, but the difference between versteeg and slepyshev is not a playoff spot

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yup need more floaters who are allergic to physical play and defence.

We need more NHL players. That's what PAP is. Not rookies playing out of position (Caggiula) or who are obviously not NHL ready (Puljujarvi). I don't know whats worse. The organization who year after year tries the same thing and expects something different, or the fans who continually believe the team that it'll be different.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We need more NHL players. That's what PAP is. Not rookies playing out of position (Caggiula) or who are obviously not NHL ready (Puljujarvi). I don't know whats worse. The organization who year after year tries the same thing and expects something different, or the fans who continually believe the team that it'll be different.

Versteeg wanted to play on Calgary's top line. The Oilers could not (and should not) offer that.

That's the end of the story.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Seems odd. I can't believe they want to keep JP up. He did not kill it by any means. Everything points to sending him to Bakersfield as the best course of action and yet they seem to be clearing a path for him.

I can't see a single good reason for Pulj to start the season in the NHL.

This is weird

Also still have Kassian floating around. Not a world beater, but a vet, and he and Maroon would decent wings for Drake on a sheltered 3rd line.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not sure what this means. What's anyone's backup plan? Not every team has a young AHL superstar waiting in the wings.

The ones that don't have a potential superstar prospect tend to pick up a better backup than Jonas Gustavsson. But not the Oilers. Our goaltending is a clear weakness. Our depth is a clear weakness now too. The point is that most other organizations, certainly those that are run half decently and not tanking, always have multiple depth options, especially where rookies are concerned. They almost never, ever, go into a season expecting 2/3 of a line to be rookies with no competition for the spot. The Oilers on the other hand do this every season and somehow expect new results.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I was someone in favour of acquiring PA Parenteau but the backlash for not get Versteeg signed is ridiculous.

Since this is the rumours and proposals thread how about more of that?

With the Kucherov deal in Tampa does that shake anyone else loose?
Could we pry Rackell out of Anaheim?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Am I the only one who sees us getting more use out of Slepyshev than I do Versteeg?

Especially in the roles where we need them to play.

If this is about giving the job to Slepy because they feel he is just as good or better then Versteeg, then I'm ok with it.

I just don't want to see Pulj gifted a spot.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't think people realize that Parenteau and Versteeg may not be good but they are still better than breaking in 2 rookies. That's where the frustration is coming from.

exactly, nobody is saying that versteeg was a great player or anything, rather that he is a much superior option over pulj, who is an 18 year old who is clearly not ready for the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad