Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We need more NHL players. That's what PAP is. Not rookies playing out of position (Caggiula) or who are obviously not NHL ready (Puljujarvi). I don't know whats worse. The organization who year after year tries the same thing and expects something different, or the fans who continually believe the team that it'll be different.

You keep saying this, but Caggiula played 14 years of his life as a centre, and about 20% of his college career at centre. Him moving to centre has nothing to do with us picking up PAP or Versteeg. It has everything to do with them wanting Draisaitl in the top 6. Guess what? Even if we had PAP or Versteeg, Caggiula would still be playing 3rd line C to start the year.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Oh man..
Full-on Meltdown Mode over Kris Freaking Versteeg. I knew there'd be a few Chia haters chompin' at the bit, but this is crazy.

Can't wait for some actual hockey talk, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

...Unless Versteeg scores on us, then I'm out. HFBoards break time. :nod:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The ones that don't have a potential superstar prospect tend to pick up a better backup than Jonas Gustavsson. But not the Oilers. Our goaltending is a clear weakness. Our depth is a clear weakness now too. The point is that most other organizations, certainly those that are run half decently and not tanking, always have multiple depth options, especially where rookies are concerned. They almost never, ever, go into a season expecting 2/3 of a line to be rookies with no competition for the spot. The Oilers on the other hand do this every season and somehow expect new results.

They do what? Sign a backup goalie you don't happen to like? Have a couple rookies in the bottom 6?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't realize that after today that teams can no longer make roster changes. Interesting.

The season starts tomorrow. Players have all hit and cleared waivers. This is the team we've got. Piss poor defensive depth, piss poor forward depth, and piss poor goaltending depth. What a sham this organization is.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I am not trying to defend the Oilers here but I think there are a few points that need to be acknowledged.

First, it is pretty clear if you look at the Flames wing depth that Versteeg has an immediate opportunity to go in and play some impact minutes. He simply would not have had that same opportunity here.
Way too many people are worried about how Puljujarvi and Caggiula are going to handle a role in the top 9. It is pretty much guaranteed that they are going to face softer minutes than pretty much any line due to the forward depth that has been created this summer. In fact, as I have seen many posters say, this is the very role in which many say Yakupov should have been utilized. JP will get an opportunity to see some pp minutes, while being brought along slowly and developed at the best level in the world, surrounded by strong leaders and veteran hockey players.

The culture and structure under Mclellan is not the same as it has been for previous years, and the oilers have a unique opportunity to use their lineup in a way the oilers have not been able to in many many years. This is far from rookies being brought in over their heads, playing way above where they should be. A veteran line of Hendricks(Pitlick) Letestu Kassian is able to handle some tough starts, combined with a very solid top 6 forward unit.

Second, a poster mentioned the oilers passed on Frk, how would that be better than what they already have? I keep hearing the word depth being mentioned without any consideration towards how Mclellan will implement his roster. Additionally, Chiarelli has shown one of his strengths is to be able to find players into the year to address forward roster spots. Adding a waiver wire player in October, which takes up a contract, could affect his ability to pick up a Kassian or Maroon later on in the year. I believe Oilers management feels it is important not to handcuff yourself to contracts so early in the year when the options in-house appear to be better. Of course, how the Oilers start will be indicative of whether Chiarelli and Mclellan put together a competitive roster, but the reasoning that has led to their decisions appears, at least to me, sound when considering how they will potentially use their lineup.
Can even one person explain Mark Fraser to me, we had him before and he sucked and he didn't get a single game of NHL time last year, why does this player get a contract spot. He's super questionable if he even deserves an AHL contract especially considering how jam packed to the gills we are with LHD on the farm. Being frugal with contracts when the player in question directly helps the NHL squad can't help, but feel a little hollow when we are gifting a contract spot to a player that should be thankful to even get an AHL contract from us. I also see Musil as someone who should of been restricted to an AHL only contract, his chances at an NHL job were basically non-existent and you can always try to upgrade them from an AHL contract to an NHL contract mid-season if they are really deserving, the drawback is another NHL team swooping in and signing them, but the risk is so low with someone like Musil I could care less.

Beetle

Mar 30, 2010
So much talk about how important the start of this season is with all the home games and somehow we make it more difficult on ourselves the day before the opener. Whiff on Versteeg, pass on veteran waiver depth and keep up a kid that's not ready so he can adjust to the NA game...essentially extending our training camp.

I don't understand the reasoning. I guess we have to trust that Chia knows what he's doing. I just hope Eberle/Draisaitl can stay healthy cause reinforcements aren't coming it seems.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If this is about giving the job to Slepy because they feel he is just as good or better then Versteeg, then I'm ok with it.

I just don't want to see Pulj gifted a spot.

I agree. But I mean, the role of the RW spot in my mind was between Slepy and Versteeg.

Slepy created a lot more then Versteeg, just didn't pot anything. Finishes his checks, is 10x better on the forecheck and back check and can play a heavy style.

I much prefer Slepy, and in my eye, deserves it.

Pitlick needs to take that spot from Pulju, as JP deserves nothing more than some time in the AHL to learn the NA game/speed/style.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The season starts tomorrow. Players have all hit and cleared waivers. This is the team we've got. Piss poor defensive depth, piss poor forward depth, and piss poor goaltending depth. What a sham this organization is.

Just done with it all, eh? Fair enough, better to get out before it's too late.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Start up the draft thread. Season's over. Nothing to see here.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

You said it yourself, the season starts tomorrow. But you're acting like it ends tomorrow. Because of P.A. Parenteau. While that sinks in, I guess I'll mention you're looking at a much different roster than I am, where the depth doesn't seem to be much worse than the spares that were on waivers.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

But Spawn, we're just sour grapes and this season is different! :laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does anyone else envision us having trouble getting secondary scoring?

We will have either Maroon or Pouliot on the third line, so I don't think it will be an issue. Having a puck moving defense also helps secondary scoring, and we're a lot better in that regard than last season.

If Puljujarvi has made the team, and will be on the third line, there's also some potential that he catches fire, especially if we shelter that line a lot (seems likely)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You said it yourself, the season starts tomorrow. But you're acting like it ends tomorrow. Because of P.A. Parenteau. While that sinks in, I guess I'll mention you're looking at a much different roster than I am, where the depth doesn't seem to be much worse than the spares that were on waivers.

I miss the days of striking out on Marian Hossa. Now we're whining about Versteeg and PAP. What progress we've made.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I wonder how much input McLellan, who seems like a pretty smart guy, has into these decisions, and if he's screaming inside today.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Does anyone else envision us having trouble getting secondary scoring?

I envision having issues with primary scoring..

We don't have much on the backend that's proven outside of Sekera, and upfront outside of McDavid it's literally, "(name here) needs to have a solid year."

That's worrying.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lmao. Once agian with this nonsense Jimmi. Keep on telling me I should quit being an Oiler fan, and keep on pretending that everything is fine with this team.

I mean you do have a choice. You've already decided that the season is over so why bother cheering?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Its almost like people don't realize that guys who get picked up on waivers almost always make a minimal impact on their new club. Its almost like they're on waivers for a reason.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I agree. But I mean, the role of the RW spot in my mind was between Slepy and Versteeg.

Slepy created a lot more then Versteeg, just didn't pot anything. Finishes his checks, is 10x better on the forecheck and back check and can play a heavy style.

I much prefer Slepy, and in my eye, deserves it.

Pitlick needs to take that spot from Pulju, as JP deserves nothing more than some time in the AHL to learn the NA game/speed/style.

And it's not even about deserve. It's just so obvious that the kid will benefit more starting in the minors. It's a nobrainer, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad