Swayman Vs The Bruins

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He himself said he wish he was back to playing sooner. That missing out on playing until December and never catching up that year wasn’t worth it over a few hundred K.
And yet I bet he doesn't wish he missed out on those few hundred K.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is the definition of f*** around and find out. The teams f*** around by tearing down their players trying just to get a discount on the contracts. Now they're finding out after the player outperformed that contract and isn't about to sign a team friendly deal. Good on Swayman

8x8 is very player friendly deal

Nobody is going to give him McAvoy money that’s ridiculous

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think the Bruins are botching this big time, but I sure hope it doesn't come out this is Swaymans agent poorly advising him, ala Klingberg with the same result.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Taking what's said in an arbitration hearing personally is wild.

It's the team's job to get as good of a deal as possible for the team, just like it's your agent's job to talk you up as best they can to get you as good of a deal as possible.

... And he's the one who elected for arbitration.
By the way, his agent should have prepared him for what was coming in the hearing.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Skimming through this thread while not quite sitting on the fence as far as who’s in the right…..I can see both sides of the argument to varying extents.

The tl;dr is that this looks like Swayman is an A-tier “tandem deployment” goalie trying to get paid like the bonafide #1 he hasn’t yet proven himself to be in the “games played” column.

At the end of the day, numbers don’t lie. This means there’s justification behind Swayman’s assessment of his value and position as a guy the Bruins may not afford losing so cleanly. This also means that the Bruins are in the right to point out their current cap situation, the total number of games that Swayman has handled in a season, and the amount/rate the cap could increase by in just one year.

Sure, slipping the 64M comment out there looks like a poor move, but it also laid the offer bare where Swayman sees both the exasperation and sum of the contract with less of an opportunity for Lewis Gross to do anything dodgy with how information is presented. Yesterday I thought it was frustration. Today, it looked like a guy holding a boombox over his head outside of the window of a girlfriend as an attempt to end a fight. Then you factor in how Gross’ negotiations went with Krug & Nylander…..

I may just be slightly more with Neely on this one. It sounds like Lewis Gross is content to be the bug biting the bear’s ass. He’s already a spanner in the works of negotiations, and it looks like he’s a noticeable portion of the influence behind Swayman over-appraising his own value against his max number of games played.

If Swayman had a few seasons where he took 50+ starts, Cam Neely would look stubborn as hell. As it stands, IMO he looks cutthroat…..and absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt the Bruins win a ton without Swayman. If they start slow out of the gate how fast do they bow to his demands?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I think Swayman should take the offer and go play hockey. It's a very fair number. He is being a bit unrealistic but its a free market after all and maybe somebody will give him what he wants.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure there are any other teams that would be willing to pony up anything more than $64m on an eight year contract.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I doubt the Bruins win a ton without Swayman. If they start slow out of the gate how fast do they bow to his demands?

It’s also the Bruins. Someone could pull a Poitras, but in net.

The chances that Korpisalo’s game improves in a more stable and higher performing team, Patera glows up getting more reps without being as pinched on the depth chart as he was in Vegas, or of Bussi getting the nod and being a welcome surprise in Boston separately are all uncomfortably close to 50%, but still over 50%.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I would have done the same thing as Neely, but it is an escalation that could backfire. Regardless, if the Bruins took a no-Gross policy in the future, I wouldn’t complain.

By saying you would have done the same thing as Neely do you mean you would have;

1) Publicly said you offered 64 million dollars (and you did)
or
2) Lied about there being an offer of 64 million on the table

Because we don't know which is the truth at this point.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Also, Swayman is still holding a grudge from his arbitration hearing. Saying he used it as motivation. That’s great to use as motivation but arbitration is part of the sport, you can’t be that sensitive. If you’re holding grudges then just request a trade. This whole saga is interesting.
lol.

Have you ever sat as a manager across from a union steward during a negotiation where you basically sit silent while the bigger bosses and HR are explaining all the reasons why the union guys are not worth what they are asking for?

Its pretty uncomfortable and gets VERY petty on both sides and I can tell you from experience both the union and the higher ups hold grudges over those meetings even though they eventually came to agreement.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
lol.

Have you ever sat as a manager across from a union steward during a negotiation where you basically sit silent while the bigger bosses and HR are explaining all the reasons why the union guys are not worth what they are asking for?

Its pretty uncomfortable and gets VERY petty on both sides and I can tell you from experience both the union and the higher ups hold grudges over those meetings even though they eventually came to agreement.
So you’re saying it’s part of negotiations? I agree.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
So you’re saying it’s part of negotiations? I agree.
Im that guy who gets caught in the middle. Its my department and my friends I am the boss of, but only the higher ups can take the details to the board of directors and that's above my paygrade. I had no say. I just had to deal with the fallout from both sides and sit there while upper management tried to tell my department they were easily replaceable grunts.

Mind you hockey is totally different a union than what I do for a living. In hockey personal performance still dictates salary offers. But trust me when I say after negotiations, both sides resent each other a long time. Years.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Not sure there are any other teams that would be willing to pony up anything more than $64m on an eight year contract.
1727999266698.jpeg

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Trading him is a last resort but the longer it goes it seems like they might get to that point. I don’t really pick any sides in this. I think bruins have botched this, but I’m not on the stand your ground team Swayman as well. Him and his agent have come across as looking really hard to deal with.

Swayman wants to get paid and I get that as that’s why he has agent, but Its starting to look like he’s making it difficult and personal now due to last years arbitration. Usually when two sides are flawed in a situation like this, you get a giant ass mess…

I can’t remember a contract dispute like this with a player and team in quite a while. Usually it’s kept behind close doors with just a few rumors here and there. This has gotten so bad that it reminds me of an owner vs players lockout public negotiations.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
He wasn't whinning, he made a list of what they said and checked the items off, so now they have no items to say No. Any teams that can afford him and be competitive? Whsat kind of trade does Boston make?

Ben Grimm

Can't buy me glove 🏒
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The thread title should be Neely vs the Bruins. Anyone with an average intellect would have signed Swayman before trading Ullmark. There are dolphins smarter than the non-deserving HHoFer Cam. Apologies to dolphins for the comparison.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Trading him is a last resort but the longer it goes it seems like they might get to that point. I don’t really pick any sides in this. I think bruins have botched this, but I’m not on the stand your ground team Swayman as well. Him and his agent have come across as looking really hard to deal with. Usually when two sides are flawed in a situation like this, you get a giant ass mess…

I can’t remember a contract dispute like this with a player and team in quite a while. Usually it’s kept behind close doors with just a few rumors here and there. This has gotten so bad that it reminds me of an owner vs players lockout public negotiations.
I don't think there is a point to counting the days. It's all about deadlines and how that pressures things. The next time to care is when the regular season starts.

Even after that, it's not unheard of for a player to let the season play out a bit. I can't recall offhand of a specific case aside from Nylander that one time but part of this dance is the fans bashing the team and/or the player until a deal is made. After that all is forgiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad