Swayman Vs The Bruins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
If the rumour of $8M a year is true, the Bruins offer is more than generous and they shouldn't give in.

Swayman is a good goalie, but he hasn't even been a full-time starter who has shown he can play 55-60 games.. his career high is 44 games.
But that is the old NHL, riding a goalie to the ground. Nowadays teams are using both goalies.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Here's where I stand

1. Lewis Gross is an antagonistic and inflexible agent who had an axe to grind against the Bruins after the Krug negotiations in 2020 and is probably the biggest factor driving a wedge between both parties

2. Swayman is a baby with regard to last year's arbitration getting in his head. And while I generally support workers getting their fair market value, he's clearly looking out for himself and his wallet with little regard for his teammates or helping the team be competitive - and this is where he's losing the fans

3. The Bruins were being fair with their negotiations until Neely let frustration get to him and let the $64 million reasons comment slip, and I believe that was the point of no return

This is the most acrimonious relationship we've seen in the Bruins organization since Bill Guerin walked out in 2002. I don't see it recovering.
Regarding #2.

You asked your boss for a raise and they said no and gave you a list of all the things you need to do to improve in order to get the raise.

A year later you've checked off everything on your bosses list, so you ask for the raise again. Your boss says no, but counters with an offer lower than your ask.

That's when it's time to find a new job.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I can’t get over a guy becoming offended at a process THAT HE ELECTED FOR.

Go to a comedy club where the comedians roast the crowd if you’re easily offended.
This whole saga reminds of of that scene in The Godfather 2...Bruins brass being Michael, and the Swayman group being poor Fredo.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Subban is a guy who, in the last few years of his career, was top 5 most paid defenseman but played like ass and looked like his summer training was going into as many all-you-can eat buffets as he could find.

His plea in favour of Swayman getting paid makes me even more sympathetic to the Bruins, not less.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Subban is a guy who, in the last few years of his career, was top 5 most paid defenseman but played like ass and looked like his summer training was going into as many all-you-can eat buffets as he could find.

His plea in favour of Swayman getting paid makes me even more sympathetic to the Bruins, not less.
Yeah no doubt

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Knowing Jeremy Jacobs... are we really shocked?
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Boston spent at, or near the cap for the past 10 plus years?

And how convenient of leaving out the fact that Bizz and Spitting Chiclets have been getting info (accurate or not) from a source that's likely close to the Swayman camp.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
If Swayman is this thin-skinned to not realize that's all part of negotiations, maybe the B's are right to not cave to his outrageous demands.

Everyday he just comes off like a bigger whiner.
Yea I don't have a problem with a player taking it personal. It sounds more like he used it a motivation, than he's whining.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It's certainly been an ugly process so far, with both sides using some dirty/unprofessional tactics in the media.

But where we're at right now the Bruins have a more than reasonable offer of 8x$8M on the table for Swayman and by most reports its seems he still wants close to or over a million per year more.

In a certain way, I can see this going all the way to Dec 1, like how the same agent with Nylander held out with the Leafs back in 2018. All they need is the Bruins to budge a little more, and a little more to make it seem worth it. And I'm not sure if the Bruins will budge again like Dubas did at the end, especially with them looking like they're in the more reasonable position right now.

Reactions: PB37

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yea I don't have a problem with a player taking it personal. It sounds more like he used it a motivation, than he's whining.
From the looks of things - by taking it personal - he's not using his head here with the negotiations...Swayman chose to file arbitration - feelings got hurt - now he wants revenge and uses social media - Bruins brass fires back - Swayman feelings MORE HURT!

Reactions: Danarqhy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
At this point it looks like a short term bridge or trade is the only way forward. Shame, because it seems like Swayman really has no end goal and doesn’t care about the team at all. He just wants his bag at all costs. Seeing how Bruins have handled these situations in the past, even if a contract is signed, the long term damage is done after this tweet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Regarding #2.

You asked your boss for a raise and they said no and gave you a list of all the things you need to do to improve in order to get the raise.

A year later you've checked off everything on your bosses list, so you ask for the raise again. Your boss says no, but counters with an offer lower than your ask.

That's when it's time to find a new job.
He isn't asking for the raise again, he's asking for a completely different raise.

Reactions: McGarnagle

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Adin Hill is more proven than Swayman is and he got $5M per. And that's with him taking his team to a cup.

Swayman is living off of last playoffs once in a lifetime fluke performance. If he repeats that this playoffs, then he can up his value.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I hope Swayman gets 10M OR the Bruins trade him and can't find another starting goalie for a decade while Sway goes on to become a top 3 goalie in the league winning multiple cups and throwing shade at the Bruins

Reactions: Takurcitee

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't blame the Bruins for not wanting to go long term big money as goalies are a crap shoot most of the time and Swayman has never had an actual starters workload. His numbers are great, but adding 15-20 games a year can make or break some goalies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Swayman will be traded, Bruins have botched this about as badly as possible.

There will be those calling Swayman/players selfish, ignoring that the game is always in favor of the billionaire owners. That 64 mil woulda been plenty, imo, had they not offered it the way they did.

Oh, and I don’t think Swayman should take the arbitration so seriously (if that isn’t just a gambit)- it’s possible for both parties to be wrong to some degree, but Bruins seem far more at fault.
The way this shit has spilled out like a high school break up makes me think the top is what happens and can't really see an alternative that would actually make sense.

Then again, millions can help me forget things said to/about me, so..

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That’s great to use as motivation but arbitration is part of the sport, you can’t be that sensitive.
This is one of those things that fans just repeat over and over wanting it to be true, but it really isn’t. How an organization conducts itself in any negotiation is it’s own choice, and to assume that certain ways won’t have mid- or long-term consequences is naive and, as far as the executives are concerned, being bad at your job.

RogerRogerr

May 11, 2011
Toronto
If you are so out of touch with your player that you alienate him during arbitration, that's on you. Maybe Swayman should have a ticker skin, but he doesn't and that's how you have to deal with him. Being a hardass works a lot of the time, but at other times it doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad