Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't expect playoffs for this team. I think they'll improve since the necessary steps have finally been taken.

We're sitting here in October crying about waiver pickups and PTOs. What happened to crying about UFAs in July?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Different topic, same result on the board, and likely same result in the standings. In my eyes, our entire season rests on our shiny new captain. If he can't carry this sorry team, we're bound for another bottom 5 finish.

We were just lucky enough to get a player that might be able to do that. I can't speak for Spawn, but I know that's the only reason I'm even bothering to stick around.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How was this off-season the same thing? Please do inform us.

Going into the season with players who don't belong and expecting them to succeed? Check
Going into the season with one of the worst d-cores in the league? Check
Zero depth anywhere in the organization in case of the liklihood of injuries? Check

If you can't see it you never will.

The only hope this team has is as Aerrol says right above me. McDavid is going to need to be the best player in the world or this team doesn't have a hope in hell.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
After 10 years of the exact same thing every year what do you expect? Forgive me if I don't buy that this time around will be any different.
I guess but it's been 30+ years since we've had the best player in the NHL playing for us as well. If you can't find any positives about this team then you probably never will.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yeah, I agree. I think Pitlick is ready for the full-time gig too.

and unlike Yak, Slepyshev and Pitlick can be an impact on the bottom 6. Even with Pakarinen injured there's reliable depth in the system today who can step in when needed.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Slepshev is nhl ready.

(1) Lander was the leader in points after preseason last year.

(2) Depth is a good thing, because if there's one thing the Oilers are good at, it's getting injured.

Wasting roster spots on guys like Mark Fraser are part of what prevents us from picking up RW depth when it becomes available.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Different topic, same result on the board, and likely same result in the standings. In my eyes, our entire season rests on our shiny new captain. If he can't carry this sorry team, we're bound for another bottom 5 finish.

We were just lucky enough to get a player that might be able to do that. I can't speak for Spawn, but I know that's the only reason I'm even bothering to stick around.

This about sums it up for the year.

Its ride or die with McDavid.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The season starts tomorrow. Players have all hit and cleared waivers. This is the team we've got. Piss poor defensive depth, piss poor forward depth, and piss poor goaltending depth. What a sham this organization is.

But this is still a clear upgrade to previous seasons where we were concerned with actual talent, not just depth. Our current forward lines should be able to handle what they need to for offense, grit and a decent amount of defensive awareness when Hendo gets back from injury. Our defense has improved. Our goal-tending situation hasn't improved from last year, but in actuality we have more depth than before (Talbot, Gustavsson, Brossoit).

I understand that the Oilers still aren't a lock for playoffs now, and even in the next few years, but I will be utterly shocked if the best line up we've been able to manufacture in over a decade isn't fighting for a spot in the next couple, which is a marked improvement on what we've seen recently.

Not everything can get fixed in an off-season or two. You can give Chia some wiggle room for last off-season as he wanted to see what we had, and he made some decent pick ups on the cheap in Kassian and Maroon to address toughness, has improved our defense without too much damage to our offense (I'm a firm believer that Lucic + Larsson will bring a net positive return to the team than Hall, and I don't believe Chia would have signed Lucic if we still had Hall). He has addressed a bit of goalie depth this year (clearly he wants Brossoit to get as much ice time as possible so he signed a backup for the big team, albeit a bad one), he got rid of some baggage in Yakupov without retaining and I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that we get a second out of the deal, has improved our D with a couple of moves. Are there still holes? Hell ya. But is this worth some of the negativity you are bringing? I don't think so.

I'm not saying all of this to tell you what you can or can't believe. Believe we are worse this year until we see hard facts - I'm a very logical, hard facts kind of person myself, so no judgement there. I'm a bit of an optimist when it comes to this team, historically, but I think this year we finally have the right mix to move up in the standings. But saying that nothing has improved, or that we are just as bad as previous years without waiting for some actual facts to back it up is premature. On paper the Oilers are a better team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That sounds better to me than "you'll either be (likely) bitterly disappointed or get to be right".

I actually meant pleasantly surprised, Spawn has decided that the season is over, so if the Oilers over achieve by his merger standards for them, he can be surprised.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
there's no indication that that will be the case. If you recall, Drai getting sent down was tough because it was to the CHL, and we wanted his team to trade his rights to a team like Kelowna. If JP shows to be a liability, he will be sent to the AHL as quickly as Slepyshev was sent down last year.

I'm choosing Stauffer comments as the #1 indication :) Since he's been on the money lately. Pulju being our 2nd best RW by season end like Stauffer insists should require letting him develop at the NHL level and hoping he can excel.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
To quote Bart Simpson
"You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't."

Trade for one of the better, young RHD in the game and sign a legit LHD veteran NHL player, same person hates both moves but then say we didn't address the depth issue on D at all.

And re-signed a decent 6/7 RHD, who may be sent down because of the lack of depth.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
[: is ready to feast
jesse-puljujarvi.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But this is still a clear upgrade to previous seasons where we were concerned with actual talent, not just depth. Our current forward lines should be able to handle what they need to for offense, grit and a decent amount of defensive awareness when Hendo gets back from injury. Our defense has improved. Our goal-tending situation hasn't improved from last year, but in actuality we have more depth than before (Talbot, Gustavsson, Brossoit).

I understand that the Oilers still aren't a lock for playoffs now, and even in the next few years, but I will be utterly shocked if the best line up we've been able to manufacture in over a decade isn't fighting for a spot in the next couple, which is a marked improvement on what we've seen recently.

Not everything can get fixed in an off-season or two. You can give Chia some wiggle room for last off-season as he wanted to see what we had, and he made some decent pick ups on the cheap in Kassian and Maroon to address toughness, has improved our defense without too much damage to our offense (I'm a firm believer that Lucic + Larsson will bring a net positive return to the team than Hall, and I don't believe Chia would have signed Lucic if we still had Hall). He has addressed a bit of goalie depth this year (clearly he wants Brossoit to get as much ice time as possible so he signed a backup for the big team, albeit a bad one), he got rid of some baggage in Yakupov without retaining and I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that we get a second out of the deal, has improved our D with a couple of moves. Are there still holes? Hell ya. But is this worth some of the negativity you are bringing? I don't think so.

I'm not saying all of this to tell you what you can or can't believe. Believe we are worse this year until we see hard facts - I'm a very logical, hard facts kind of person myself, so no judgement there. I'm a bit of an optimist when it comes to this team, historically, but I think this year we finally have the right mix to move up in the standings. But saying that nothing has improved, or that we are just as bad as previous years without waiting for some actual facts to back it up is premature. On paper the Oilers are a better team.

I don't actually think the Oilers will be worse this year. I do think they will be better. But I don't think it will be by a meaningful amount. I don't think they will realistically compete for a playoff and to me that's just not exceptable anymore.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
and unlike Yak, Slepyshev and Pitlick can be an impact on the bottom 6. Even with Pakarinen injured there's reliable depth in the system today who can step in when needed.

Weren't you the biggest "Fail for Nail" advocator on HFoil?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Going into the season with players who don't belong and expecting them to succeed? Check
Going into the season with one of the worst d-cores in the league? Check
Zero depth anywhere in the organization in case of the liklihood of injuries? Check

If you can't see it you never will.

The only hope this team has is as Aerrol says right above me. McDavid is going to need to be the best player in the world or this team doesn't have a hope in hell.

The d-core improved quite a bit and if you can't see that then I'm not sure what to tell you. You can't complain about having the worst d-core in the league and then whine when it gets improved when there were no other options available. We all would've loved Subban in Oiler silks but that deal was never even close to happening. There is depth on D too, hence Russell which pushes Nurse down the lineup (and hopefully into the AHL where he belongs). You complain about the D being bad and then complain when players are added to said defense? What do you want? Defensemen are a very prized commodity. The Oilers have little depth on the RW side. ...And? So what? They have good center depth and LW depth. But oh no it's bad on the right side so who's first overall?

Should've kept Hall to ensure the d-core stays the worst in the league then. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad