Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He had 21 points in 49 games in the AHL last season. Projecting him to be NHL ready is silly.

You don't watch hockey or fully understand development of players. You're really going to base his game on ahl stats? :dunno:

Slepyshev has only improved his game in North America, now he'll have the opportunity soon to excel with nhl talent when the time comes for him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
He had 21 points in 49 games in the AHL last season. Projecting him to be NHL ready is silly.

And Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 AHL games last season, then went on the have a 50+ season in the NHL.

"Ripping up the AHL" isn't a prerequisite to becoming ready for the NHL. It's nice to see, but it's not a must.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Haha. Chiaturd at it again. Let's trade Yak for scraps and hey, did you think that we would get a "replacement" in Versteeg?

Ummm no. Lets overpay Russel. Omfg.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't actually think the Oilers will be worse this year. I do think they will be better. But I don't think it will be by a meaningful amount. I don't think they will realistically compete for a playoff and to me that's just not exceptable anymore.

The West is immensely deep. The Oilers would have to align the planets to compete. People don't realize how bad this team really was and got a hard dose of reality last season.

The only team that might fall out of the playoff picture from last year is the Wild and even that's a maybe. The Avs could pass them.

As much as it sucks the Oilers won't be able to compete this year. If the team showed any signs of improvement last year we're probably not talking about this. But they didn't.

Jun 9, 2011
Dont like Chia. But I agree we dont need to use a roster spot on versteeg. We have pak, slepy,khaira and pitlick to move around the wings, all bigger and younger.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's quite amazing. The Oilers finally look like they might be going into the season with some veteran depth while not throwing rookies(and the season) into the gutter by over-relying on them in important roles, yet the day before the season starts the Oilers somehow manage to completely abandon that plan. Now they are starting the season with their second best center out of position on the wing, an undersized rookie who just missed a significant portion of training camp playing out of position as the 3rd line center, and an 18 year old rookie who doesn't even remotely look ready for the NHL making the roster against all common sense.

It's like groundhog day around here. Did Mclellan get kidnapped and replaced by Dallas Eakins or something? :laugh:

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Why do we keep doing this? What is wrong with having proven, veteran, skill depth? I really don't get it.

You don't watch hockey or fully understand development of players. You're really going to base his game on ahl stats? :dunno:
Well, I watched him play too. He's not ready for the NHL, never mind the top 9.

And Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 AHL games last season, then went on the have a 50+ season in the NHL.

"Ripping up the AHL" isn't a prerequisite to becoming ready for the NHL. It's nice to see, but it's not a must.
Draisaitl created a ton in the few games he played, they just couldn't finish.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
like what? Bringing in a RW?
He's recapping but seems to be a lot of saliva in his mouth. Live shot:

Andrew-Luck-spitting-everywhere.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The d-core improved quite a bit and if you can't see that then I'm not sure what to tell you. You can't complain about having the worst d-core in the league and then whine when it gets improved when there were no other options available. We all would've loved Subban in Oiler silks but that deal was never even close to happening. There is depth on D too, hence Russell which pushes Nurse down the lineup (and hopefully into the AHL where he belongs). You complain about the D being bad and then complain when players are added to said defense? What do you want? Defensemen are a very prized commodity. The Oilers have little depth on the RW side. ...And? So what? They have good center depth and LW depth. But oh no it's bad on the right side so who's first overall?

Should've kept Hall to ensure the d-core stays the worst in the league then. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I will make one post about this because believe it or not, I am actually sick of the endless arguing over the Hall trade too. I do not think that the D is significantly improved, and our forward corps is now significantly worse at scoring in my eyes on top of it. And also somehow has the same crappy depth.

I expect Russell to be basically Nikitin 2.0. He'll have a few games where he's alright, but from what I saw with Dallas, my expectations are that this is a total waste of a signing. So that just adds Larsson to the defence, which absolutely helps, but I'm not nearly as sold on him as some people seem to be. He's going to have to exceed his previous play (or Klefbom is going to have to take a huge step forward) for our defence to be "significantly improved".

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Haha. Chiaturd at it again. Let's trade Yak for scraps and hey, did you think that we would get a "replacement" in Versteeg?

Ummm no. Lets overpay Russel. Omfg.

Lol, if you are complaining about overpaying for Russell on a 1 yr deal, then you are really digging for things to complain about. Second best shot blocker last season.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well, I watched him play too. He's not ready for the NHL, never mind the top 9.

our opinions definitely differ, I respect your opinion and believe once you see him get more time in the nhl this season you'll warm up on him. He's going to definitely get in 25+ games in due to injuries or his game heating up in the ahl.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Chia says the Oilers offered Versteeg a contract but he chose to go to Calgary.

Can someone please change the title of this thread so that people can stop ****ing *****ing about this already? Acting like Chiarelli is the second coming of Satan for "letting Versteeg, the king of depth, go."

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I will make one post about this because believe it or not, I am actually sick of the endless arguing over the Hall trade too. I do not think that the D is significantly improved, and our forward corps is now significantly worse at scoring in my eyes on top of it. And also somehow has the same crappy depth.

I expect Russell to be basically Nikitin 2.0. He'll have a few games where he's alright, but from what I saw with Dallas, my expectations are that this is a total waste of a signing. So that just adds Larsson to the defence, which absolutely helps, but I'm not nearly as sold on him as some people seem to be. He's going to have to exceed his previous play (or Klefbom is going to have to take a huge step forward) for our defence to be "significantly improved".

So then you keep Hall and finish 29th again. If there's a better solution to the defense problem I'm not seeing it. We'd all like for a Subban to land in our laps but it just isn't happening.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Can someone please change the title of this thread so that people can stop ****ing *****ing about this already? Acting like Chiarelli is the second coming of Satan for "letting Versteeg, the king of depth, go."

You must be new here. Thinking changing the title will silence the constant bickering... :laugh:

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
PC on CHED Summary:

- Versteeg chose Calgary, Oilers offered a contract but wouldn't go past a certain threshold.

- Agreed in principle to a deal with Eric Gryba, will start in AHL if he clears waivers.

- Not easy to trade Yakupov, but both sides wanted a fresh start.

- Kris Russell talks since end of June, needed to overcome salary and roster obstacles before signing. Feel he's a tremendous skater, good puck mover, good transition, checks lots of boxes. Russell wanted more term but Oilers wouldn't give more than one year.

- Since taking over, PC feels goal has improved, defence has improved, team is stronger, bigger and faster up front. Heading in the right direction despite collateral damage of Hall/Yakupov trades.

- Analytics for D-men is tough, but Russell was 2nd in league for offensive entries. PK puck retrieval is elite.

- Comfortable with winger depth. Will look at JP (Sounds like they might give him 9 games then re-evaluate), will try Draisatl at wing to start. Confident that there will be players out there available if more depth is needed.

- Rogers Place, great for fans, great for recruitment, helped in Lucic's case as well as Caggiula and Bennig.

- Health of Klefbom and McDavid, both are healthy, Klefbom and Larsson are great together, compliment each other well.

Last edited:

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Lol, if you are complaining about overpaying for Russell on a 1 yr deal, then you are really digging for things to complain about. Second best shot blocker last season.

Reinbust trade
Hall trade
Yakupov trade
Lucic signing
Russell signing

Yeah.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
PC on CHED Summary:

- Versteeg chose Calgary, Oilers offered a contract but wouldn't go past a certain threshold.

- Agreed in principle to a deal with Eric Gryba, will start in AHL if he clears waivers.

- Not easy to trade Yakupov, but both sides wanted a fresh start.

- Kris Russell talks since end of June, needed to overcome salary and roster obstacles before signing. Feel he's a tremendous skater, good puck mover, good transition, checks lots of boxes. Russell wanted more term but Oilers wouldn't give more than one year.

Thanks,
too bad, I hoped we'd learn something new (and positive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad