Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
One thing to consider with Versteeg is that I seem to remember he is from Lethbridge. He said in the preseaon he was looking forward to family coming for games. Hell of a lot easier to drive to Calgary then Edmonton. Unfortunately everything kind of lined up better in Calgary. Oh well....I want my Pinner..:yo:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
weird stat but good to hear

Chia made a point of mentioning it's not a stat people outside of the business would have as it's a part of their analytics suite. Only a couple of other teams track it, and that information- along with the much-ballyhooed shot blocking and shot suppression totals- are all part of the big picture they look at.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Bingo. Although this is a reflection of the coach, not the GM. It amazes me how McLellan gets a free pass while Chia takes all the grief.

You don't know when the contract was offered to Versteeg.

From Calgary? Either sometime this week or as late as today? They had plenty of time to sign him for the same.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
From Calgary? Either sometime this week or as late as today? They had plenty of time to sign him for the same.

Unless of course he didn't want to and was waiting to see what his options were. Lo and behold a better one came up. Just because you sign a player to a PTO doesn't mean other teams can't sign them.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
PC on CHED Summary:

- Versteeg chose Calgary, Oilers offered a contract but wouldn't go past a certain threshold.

- Agreed in principle to a deal with Eric Gryba, will start in AHL if he clears waivers.

- Not easy to trade Yakupov, but both sides wanted a fresh start.

- Kris Russell talks since end of June, needed to overcome salary and roster obstacles before signing. Feel he's a tremendous skater, good puck mover, good transition, checks lots of boxes. Russell wanted more term but Oilers wouldn't give more than one year.

- Since taking over, PC feels goal has improved, defence has improved, team is stronger, bigger and faster up front. Heading in the right direction despite collateral damage of Hall/Yakupov trades.

- Analytics for D-men is tough, but Russell was 2nd in league for offensive entries. PK puck retrieval is elite.

- Comfortable with winger depth. Will look at JP (Sounds like they might give him 9 games then re-evaluate), will try Draisatl at wing to start. Confident that there will be players out there available if more depth is needed.

- Rogers Place, great for fans, great for recruitment, helped in Lucic's case as well as Caggiula and Bennig.

- Health of Klefbom and McDavid, both are healthy, Klefbom and Larsson are great together, compliment each other well.

nice summary thanks Mowzie! :yo:

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I just hope that Pulju/Slepy can take the reins, otherwise we might be seeing Kassian on the third line RW which isn't a very attractive situation.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

And maybe he didn't want to sign for that much?

You do know the player isnt forced to sign a contract right? This isnt NHL 17.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Bingo. Although this is a reflection of the coach, not the GM. It amazes me how McLellan gets a free pass while Chia takes all the grief.

You don't know when the contract was offered to Versteeg.

And yet, another poster put in factual assessments compared to what people are wanting to see:

You keep saying this, but Caggiula played 14 years of his life as a centre, and about 20% of his college career at centre. Him moving to centre has nothing to do with us picking up PAP or Versteeg. It has everything to do with them wanting Draisaitl in the top 6. Guess what? Even if we had PAP or Versteeg, Caggiula would still be playing 3rd line C to start the year.

Why does everyone assume one player ONLY knows how to play ONE position? :shakehead

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You are jumping to conclusions without an ounce of inside knowledge.

Perfect. Lovely how this is trotted out now yet not in any other arguments regarding other player signings. The "insider knowledge" is a moot point... What reason would he have not to sign here without money being an issue? All they needed to do was throw some more money at him. I can't be convinced that he wouldn't be a top 6 RW on this team.

I've been very pleased with most of Chia's moves and signings (not sure on Reinhart but I wouldn't doubt the claims that it wasn't much his move as OBC), but this is just silly. Pony up the cash.

Edit: The only reason I can think Chia didn't care to pass on his demands was that they aren't comfortable having Drai play outside the top 6. Which is understandable.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
And yet, another poster put in factual assessments compared to what people are wanting to see:

Why does everyone assume one player ONLY knows how to play ONE position? :shakehead
Too used to watching Yakupov know how to play ZERO positions.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

It just makes so much more sense to put Caggiula on the RW and Draisaitl at 3C, though. I'm not saying Drake can't play center, I'm saying I'd rather see Draisaitl play center.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Perfect. Lovely how this is trotted out now yet not in any other arguments regarding other player signings. The "insider knowledge" is a moot point... What reason would he have not to sign here without money being an issue? All they needed to do was throw some more money at him. I can't be convinced that he wouldn't be a top 6 RW on this team.

I've been very pleased with most of Chia's moves and signings (not sure on Reinhart but I wouldn't doubt the claims that it wasn't much his move as OBC), but this is just silly. Pony up the cash.

The fact that he is most likely trying to set himself up for another nice contract, and playing on the top line in Calgary will likely help that?

Or does that not fit your narrative.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Probably chasing more minutes and a more prominent role

His contract was going to be a "show me" contract on a one year. so he picked the situation where he could get the most minutes and chance to hit big figures next year.

thats my educated guess and i dont feel i am wrong.

he looked at our top 6 and left. maroon and poo are going to have great years IMHO. Looch and Eberle with McDavid i think are locks. Drais and Nuge are the top end talent under McD. so...those are the guys who will be gett
ing those key minutes + 1.

Versteeg did the Math.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It's not about this contract, it's about the next one. Think which opportunity will give him a better future contract: Playing in the Oilers bottom 6 or playing in the Flames top 6?

No-brainer he picks the Flames.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The fact that he is most likely trying to set himself up for another nice contract, and playing on the top line in Calgary will likely help that?

Or does that not fit your narrative.

There must be a huge difference between first and second lines in today's NHL in your narrative.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It's not about this contract, it's about the next one. Think which opportunity will give him a better future contract: Playing in the Oilers bottom 6 or playing in the Flames top 6?

No-brainer he picks the Flames.

I totally understand this, but he shouldn't be playing in our bottom 6 anyhow.

If this was the logic, why pass on PAP when he could have fit the bill for depth also.

First RW to go down this season and Kassian is in the top 6. Not that there is a problem with that short-term but it isn't an ideal set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad