Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
easier still to be a yes man.

There's zero bravery involved in decrying Chiarelli's actions from behind a keyboard. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

It is amusing watching you move the goalposts. In the last thread PJ starting was NBD because he was just a fill in till Versteeg came back...only now the stop gap suddenly looks a lot more permanent.

Chiarelli was very clear in stating on Oilers Now that if Puljujarvi didn't work out, he'd be sent down. You're arguing against something that is a non-issue. Whether his replacement is Versteeg or Parenteau or another vet fill-in, those players are a dime-a-dozen in this league.

Again, in his words- these of an actual NHL GM who knows the market- wingers can be found everywhere. Hell, you just saw it happen with Parenteau. Unless you believe that was an event rather than Halley's Comet, Chiarelli will have another opportunity.

Faced with that, rather than admit that gee, maybe some back up depth wouldn't be a bad idea so as not to start what is a fairly important campaign with a bunch of rookies and guys playing out of position, you bust out the strawman about the playoffs. Quite sad actually.

But you have to actually believe that Versteeg/other would be a marked improvement over Puljujarvi/other to be this upset. We're essentially debating the merits of 30-point third line wingers here. That by itself will not dictate whether or not this team takes the next step in what you yourself just called a "fairly important campaign"- unless, well, you think it does. It's on you to show how if that's the case.

The same goes for D; who exactly was 100% available as a sure-fire top four RHD? Who did Chiarelli miss on? For someone who has no shortage of critiques for the man, this should be an easy question for you to answer.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I just hope that Pulju/Slepy can take the reins, otherwise we might be seeing Kassian on the third line RW which isn't a very attractive situation.

Not the end of the world. That 3rd line will probably be limited minutes, and with Maroon or Poo on the other wing, is not the worst situation to bring Caggulia along. Two big bodies with experience on either side.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It just makes so much more sense to put Caggiula on the RW and Draisaitl at 3C, though. I'm not saying Drake can't play center, I'm saying I'd rather see Draisaitl play center.

Draisaitl will still play center this year, just like when McLellan had centers on the wing in San Jose. We even did play Drai at center in preseason as well as on the wing, and it would seem that McLellan liked what RNH and Drai could do together in a top six role, and he also liked Caggiula at center. So.. what's the problem? This is what camp and preseason is for. I know a lot of fans had our roster figured out on paper before anyone skated on the ice, but hockey isn't played on paper.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
You just used a list of 4 positives to prove your point.

Which of those are the positive ones?

Signing declining Lucic on a 7 year deal?

Trading Hall for a #3?

Trading Yakupov for scraps?

Wasting 2 good picks for a bust?

Overpaying Russell?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Trading Hall for a #3?

Overpaying Russell?

Don't you belong on the main boards? You'll probably be really popular there.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Haha. Chiaturd at it again. Let's trade Yak for scraps and hey, did you think that we would get a "replacement" in Versteeg?

Ummm no. Lets overpay Russel. Omfg.

Man your out to lunch if you actually thought Yak would get more than scraps. Overpay for Russell?.....care to explain with your wisdom how that's the case considering it's a one year deal and doesn't put the team in any sort of cap troubles at all.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Trading Hall for a #3?

Overpaying Russell?

Bolded is the only bad thing.

Overpaying for Russell? It's for one year and makes the team better and lets us play our prospects in the AHL this year.

And Larsson is much more than a #3 and proved it last year in New Jersey, Where on Lucic' stats show that he is declining?

And would you rather have Yak here doing absolutely nothing?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Trading Hall for a #3?

Overpaying Russell?

Lucic isn't declining
Larsson isn't a #3
Yak is worse than scraps at hockey
2 picks haven't done anything and Griff isn't a bust...yet
What's the he going price for a #4/5 Dman in UFA.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can't believe some are upset by the Kris Russel signing. A few months ago this guy returned a 2nd + Pollack and Jokipakka at the deadline.

Defenders like him are always in demand at the deadline and if he isn't in the long term plans no doubt we could flip him at the deadline for a decent package.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He wasn't going to play 2nd line here.

3rd line in Edmonton vs 1st/2nd in Calgary

He could fit on the 2nd line just fine

It would require the Oilers abandoning their fixation on Drai playing the wing, shoehorning Puljujarvi making the NHL lineup, and an undersized rookie as the third line center.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Don't you belong on the main boards? You'll probably be really popular there.

No doubt, He's just pulling at everything and claiming it as fact when it is an Opinion.

And his Opinion on Chia is clearly made up already.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This article about sums up my thoughts.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Henderson/And-Nero-Fiddled/191/79827

It’s OK if the Oilers had a plan. Surely there was a plan! Edmonton couldn’t possibly want two rookies on the 3rd line when it would be so easy to find an NHL caliber RW. And if they did pass up on those waiver wire players then it’s because they could get someone else.

Maybe Kris Versteeg was that plan! That had to it, right?

Wrong. While Pete was playing that fiddle he wasn’t just ignoring the waiver wire. He was neglecting the relationship he had with Kris Versteeg. It turns out that Versteeg did not appreciate the Oilers gifting Jesse Puljujarvi a top 9 spot he didn’t deserve and opted to sign in Calgary because of it.

This morning the Oilers could only watch as Versteeg signed a 1 year deal for less than 1 million dollars with the Calgary Flames. Now this team is left in a position where they have no RW depth at all.

Just to be clear, the weekend saw the Oilers send away their 3RW Yakupov for nothing, refuse to acquire one of several suitable replacements for free, decide that a teenager who performed poorly in camp earned a job, then fail to sign a no-brainer option at RW who skated with the team all preseason.

Edmonton decimated their depth on the right side and gained nothing from it. Nothing.

What this management group has done over the last 24 hours in particular are most damning. There is no plan. There is no urgency to get better…unless we’re talking about all that fiddle practice.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He could fit on the 2nd line just fine

It would require the Oilers abandoning their fixation on Drai playing the wing, shoehorning Puljujarvi making the NHL lineup, and an undersized rookie as the third line center.

Or he just said "I'd rather play with Gaudreau and Monahan".

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Yes.

Trading Hall for a #3?

For Adam Larsson, a player that was very much needed, yes.

Yes.

No.

Overpaying Russell?

Signing Russell, yes. Overpaid, no, because it's one season, so who cares?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Especially love the complaints about the Yak and Russell deals. Yak is crap and Russell is here for a single year.

Same posters would be complaining about the same five moves if the weren't made.

Didn't sign Lucic, no one to protect Connor and make us tough to play against

Didmt acquire a top young RHD

Didn't get rid of the Yak distraction

Drafted more small forwards when we needed young D who were close to NHL ready to step in and help

Should have signed Russell as he is a decent #4/5 Alberta boy. No risk one year deal.

Seriously it's like being on the mains where every move gets mocked no matter what.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Fan of both but I would prefer start on the farm for both. I have been pumping slepyshevs tires for two years but he is not ready

Same here, but there's no chance now. I think its pretty clear now that TMac and Chia are content on starting at least one of Slepy/Pulju in the NHL. I just hope it is Slepy as it has been pretty apparent that Jesse still needs to adjust to the NA game.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Ok, since we're all thinking it, I'll be the first one to say it...

Who the **** is Matt Henderson?

Who wrote it doesn't matter when its a bang on representation of the events.

Or would you rather I post some terrible article by Staples or someone who doesn't have a clue?

At the end of the day we now have 0 depth on the RW. Playing Drai on the RW is terrible, but almost a necessity now. JP isn't ready for the NHL and has shown that in preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad