Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I totally understand this, but he shouldn't be playing in our bottom 6 anyhow.

If this was the logic, why pass on PAP when he could have fit the bill for depth also.

First RW to go down this season and Kassian is in the top 6. Not that there is a problem with that short-term but it isn't an ideal set up.

PAP should not be in the bottom 6 either. The guy floats. He is not capable of killing penalties either, which I'm sure is a skill the Oilers are looking for if they pick up another forward.

Kassian is getting underrated too. He can play on the 3rd line or in the top 6 with the right mix of linemates. Kassian can score at even strength. Only Eberle and McDavid score goals at a higher rate than Kassian the last 4 years combined of Oilers forwards.

dangerb0y

Jun 29, 2016
versteeg deserves a beatdown for signing in cowtown! what a dick move to sign a pto, go thru a full camp, be offered a contract, and then bail out last minute to the team down the road...
and for what? maybe he'll play a couple more minutes a night? top of the bottom 6 in calgary? the flames??
truth is, he's no changer.. and his diminishing value wont be missed...
simple as ABC... anybody but calgary!
crush versteeg

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
PAP should not be in the bottom 6 either. The guy floats. He is not capable of killing penalties either, which I'm sure is a skill the Oilers are looking for if they pick up another forward.

Kassian is getting underrated too. He can play on the 3rd line or in the top 6 with the right mix of linemates. Kassian can score at even strength. Only Eberle and McDavid score goals at a higher rate than Kassian the last 4 years combined of Oilers forwards.

Please, stop talking sense. Know where you are..

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Chia just said that they had a price point in mind and wouldn't go beyond that, he signed for a grand total of 950k

if the Oilers had really wanted him, they could have had him.

It's pretty clear that was the price point and at that same point he chose Calgary over Edmonton. Interestingly enough that is the amount of salary you can hide in the minors on a contract which tells you exactly how much they thought of Versteeg. They were worried he'd spend time in the minors.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You win some, you lose some. Can't expect Chia to win them all. At the same time, can't criticize Chia without getting jumped on HFoil.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not looking good for the Oilers.

Between the roster decisions, and a veteran player choosing ice time over sitting for rookies, this is looking bad more on Mclellan than Chiarelli at this point

Honestly think it just means the Oilers have better forwards. Versteeg is picking a team where can play more. I dont think you can fault him but I think its a bit greasy that the oilers put faith in him to come on a invite than he chooses their rival even though the contract was similar. Maybe theres a reasons why he only got a PTO in the first place, and has bounced around despite putting up decent numbers on various teams.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
versteeg deserves a beatdown for signing in cowtown! what a dick move to sign a pto, go thru a full camp, be offered a contract, and then bail out last minute to the team down the road...
and for what? maybe he'll play a couple more minutes a night? top of the bottom 6 in calgary? the flames??
crush versteeg

What?

He will be playing first line most likely in calgary.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
When the veteran is Kris Versteeg, rookies don't seem too unappealing. What were people expecting of this guy? He would have been a stop gap. Hence not being able to promise him his minutes.

And I don't begrudge the guy at all, even in rec dodgeball I like to play more minutes than I sit off, lol.

Versteeg had 38 points last year.

He would have been 5th in points and 5th in goals on the Oilers last year.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
crush versteeg

Actually, he's expected to play with Gaudreau and Monahan on the top line.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Honestly haven't seen a lot of PAP play recently but I wouldn't doubt he floats. A player gets waived for a reason.

I honestly love Kassian and the move to acquire him (who doesn't), just worried about consistency with what he's gone through. Seems like he's worked out his demons but still, a lot of uncertainty.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
This board since about 10am

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So, based on Versteeg's comments, it certainly sounds like the Oilers expect Pulju to stick in the lineup. Hope it works out for everyone's sake. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Pulju to be the first guy out of Fin/Sweden leagues in over a decade+ to just jump into the NHL out of the draft and be an effective NHLer.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly haven't seen a lot of PAP play recently but I wouldn't doubt he floats. A player gets waived for a reason.

I honestly love Kassian and the move to acquire him (who doesn't), just worried about consistency with what he's gone through. Seems like he's worked out his demons but still, a lot of uncertainty.

I think Kassian has been decent. He plays physical. I think his passing his actually underrated. Seems like he has decent vision on the ice. I think his biggest fault is taking bad penalties.

I just dont think Kassian being on the third or fourth line hurts this team whatsoever. If the oilers are in the bottom 5 this league its not because of the players on the third and fourth line.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Didn't realize you had a direct access to Versteeg's brain :sarcasm:

You can keep repeating that line of reasoning all you want, it won't become less senseless with repetition.

Obviously you haven't seen Calgary's (lack of) wing depth after Gaudreau. Frolik/Brouwer/Chiasson/Ferland/Bollig. Woof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad