Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
I think Kassian has been decent. He plays physical. I think his passing his actually underrated. Seems like he has decent vision on the ice. I think his biggest fault is taking bad penalties.

I just dont think Kassian being on the third or fourth line hurts this team whatsoever. The oilers are in the bottom 5 this league its not because of the players on the third and fourth line.

His biggest fault is being who he is, Alot of the call's against him last year were completely embarrassing and was quite obvious the officials were picking on him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So, based on Versteeg's comments, it certainly sounds like the Oilers expect Pulju to stick in the lineup. Hope it works out for everyone's sake. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Pulju to be the first guy out of Fin/Sweden leagues in over a decade+ to just jump into the NHL out of the draft and be an effective NHLer.

You don't need to go back nearly that far to find Barkov.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
His biggest fault is being who he is, Alot of the call's against him last year were completely embarrassing and was quite obvious the officials were picking on him.

You definitely have a point. Happened a lot with the oilers last year in regards to officiating.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Nor are there any points for sticking up for him. Not sure why you even bring this up.

Referring to those who don't find anything wrong with Puljujarvi getting a taste of NHL action as "yes men" isn't brave, constructive or intellectually honest. It's a singular roster decision in isolation that means very little.

However, it's the way you roll as evidenced later in your post.

It makes sense to me to have a possible replacement lineup instead of having to scramble to find one.

Again, an actual NHL GM said it's easy to do so; the waiver wire in previous years has proven that to be true. Are you going to claim he and history are wrong?

That's what the word "depth" means. Chia's now whiffed on a handful of these "dime a dozen" replacement players at a time when they are most plentiful, what makes you think he'll get his man when the chips are down?

He has? Which ones? Gryba was depth; Maroon was depth. Kassian depth. How did he whiff on those?

The issue is the philosophy of the team which continues to treat balance and depth as if they were dirty words.

They haven't. In fact, Chiarelli was very clear that he felt the depth was such that they didn't need a Versteeg right now. With multiple options (Puljujarvi, Pitlick, Pakarinen, Slepyshev) who look to be about replacement level in the bottom six today, it would make sense to try those players first if you felt that way.

It's about a team seemingly unwilling to build roster redundancy and that continues to hand jobs to players who haven't earned them yet.

I would argue Versteeg didn't earn anything here either. He was riding off last year's point totals, and wasn't clearly a better option based on his play than what was already here. More experienced? Sure. Better? That's to be seen.

Lots of people seem troubled by this, but I guess we've been so successful with this strategy before that it's easy for you to be nonplussed.

There are two things to unpack here: whether the few loud voices are right merely because they're loud, and whether this is the same strategy. I'd say neither is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You don't need to go back nearly that far to find Barkov.

Barkov looked like a bust in his rookie year. He recovered. But that's not something you want to risk on a high profile player like Pulju and to a lesser extend Caggiula

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Didn't realize you had a direct access to Versteeg's brain :sarcasm:

You can keep repeating that line of reasoning all you want, it won't become less senseless with repetition.

Very true.

Keep in mind though that anyone debating it will become seriously fatigued by having to type responses over and over again. :D

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Barkov looked like a bust in his rookie year. He recovered. But that's not something you want to risk on a high profile player like Pulju and to a lesser extend Caggiula

Cagguila is a much more mature player than someone coming in at 18 though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

He didn't "recover". People jumped to ridiculous conclusions about his entire career 54 games in. Those people who suddenly changed their tune and realized it might not be wise to judge an 18 year old on his first few NHL games were the ones who "recovered".

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Very true.

Keep in mind though that anyone debating it will become seriously fatigued by having to type responses over and over again. :D

Maybe he wouldn't have to type it more than once if you didn't instantly discredit his argument.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Fayne for an overpaid top 9 winger makes sense. I would assume it would be for a player with the same 2 year term left.

Bozak fits the bill. Right handed, versatile player who can play a shutdown role or in the top 6 for spells. Two years left and he makes more than Fayne. Have the Leafs young centers played well enough that they would want to move Bozak?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just dont see the point of running down JP at this time. I think people are going off a bit too much.

I would agree that JP doesnt look ready. You can tell that he looks physically ready and he thinks the game pretty well(you can tell he roughly knows where hes suppose to be) but his timing is a bit off and he just seems indecisive with the puck (jumps around on him).

It could just be nerves I dunno. It took McDavid a few games to get going. If JP is still playing this way after 9 games and the Oilers keep him up, then its time to get out the pitchforks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He didn't "recover". People jumped to ridiculous conclusions about his entire career 54 games in. Those people who suddenly changed their tune and realized it might not be wise to judge an 18 year old on his first few NHL games were the ones who "recovered".

Many posters are convinced that Caggiula is an NHL player based on 3 pre-season games against predominantly AHL players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Many posters are convinced that Caggiula is an NHL player based on 3 pre-season games against predominantly AHL players.

Well, we're not convinced that he's not. You somehow seem to be. I just think we let him play, see how it goes, then reach conclusions.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

And? If he's playing in the NHL, I guess the needle would lean toward "NHL player". But he's played zero games, so those guaranteeing and NHL career are just as silly as those who say he won't be.

The point is, the impatience is silly.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I just dont see the point of running down JP at this time. I think people are going off a bit too much.

I would agree that JP doesnt look ready. You can tell that he looks physically ready and he thinks the game pretty well(you can tell he roughly knows where hes suppose to be) but his timing is a bit off and he just seems indecisive with the puck (jumps around on him).

It could just be nerves I dunno. It took McDavid a few games to get going. If JP is still playing this way after 9 games and the Oilers keep him up, then its time to get out the pitchforks.
I completely agree. I think the verdict is still out on :]. He could end up an integral piece of our RW depth. He has more tools in his toolbox than any player not named McDavid. A 9-game trial is the right thing to do with him.
That would depend on what's coming back. That type of a deal though does make sense.
Yeah, I'd rather they didn't flip him for another bad contract. Toss in a pick and you could get a quality forward for that price.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe he wouldn't have to type it more than once if you didn't instantly discredit his argument.

I did discredit his argument. Thanks for noticing.

It is very clear that the Oilers value inexperience over experience and therefore it limited the opportunities for Versteeg on this team.

Perplexing how that was left out of GK's narrative.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

As of now, how else is one supposed to find out besides playing him in the actual regular season? Until that point it remains pure speculation no matter what he (or any other player) has done outside the NHL.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I completely agree. I think the verdict is still out on :]. He could end up an integral piece of our RW depth. He has more tools in his toolbox than any player not named McDavid. A 9-game trial is the right thing to do with him.

Yeah, I'd rather they didn't flip him for another bad contract. Toss in a pick and you could get a quality forward for that price.

That's up for debate, but I otherwise agree. I would make a case for RNH having more tools than JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad