Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Stauffer said Oilers are looking for a trade and retention in Fayne to fetch them a veteran RW, only way I see this work is if this RW is at the final year of their contract, here are some guesses as to who this might be:

- Jarome Iginla
- Drew Stafford
- Patrick Sharp
- Justin Williams (my personal pick)
- Brian Gionta

If not on the final year, I can see Atkinson, Pominville, Filpulla, Burrows.

Only way that makes sense is if Oilers are eating a huge part of Fayne salary for next season. It makes no sense for the other team to have an additional year of Fayne while trading away an expiring contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
this is a mark against Chia since it does show that he didn't have a good handle on the Versteeg situation. He should have given Versteeg an ultimatum to sign before the chance to take PAP went away. I can't know what's going on behind the scenes exactly, and I don't want to impose an unfair hindsight analysis on him, but there must have been a better way to handle this.

This only makes sense if you assume Chiarelli wanted anything to do with Parenteau. It seems quite clear he didn't, no matter what happened. It almost seems like you think Versteeg signing with the Flames came as a surprise to him - that he didn't know about it this morning or yesterday. Which again, seems like a big assumption.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes, we was fine. He was on a 36 point pace with hiccups that everyone knows will happen with young players.

What exactly are your requirements for an 18 year old to have a successful rookie season? McDavid or nothing?

To put things into perspective, Barkov had a worst rookie season than Yak, Gagner, Cogs, Schultz. Expecting Pulju to have the same development as Barkov is silly and is a disaster in the making.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How did you reach this conclusion?

Facts helped me to reach this conclusion. Pitlick has played 196 games in the AHL and 27 games in the NHL. So far in his career he has been an AHL player at best.

BTW that's 5 players. Eberle is a fine 1RW. No reason to believe Drai can't get the job done at 2RW. Pulju is the wild card here, but if he doesn't work out this season, it's not hard to find a third line right winger. Kassian and Pitlick are competing for the 4th line spot. Both would be great 4th liners. So there you have it.

Hope is alive and well. Lets HOPE that Draisaitl can get the job done playing out of position because there is no evidence to support that fact that he can.

I will give you Kassian but Pitlick has shown that so far in his career is is anything but a potential 'great' 4th line player.

RW is a major problem for this team going into the season. It really couldn't be more obvious.

'Hope for the best' has been this teams mantra since 2007.
Maybe hoping for the best is good enough for you and others here but after 10 years of abject failure I think Oiler fans deserve a little more than being expected to once again 'hope for the best'.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Only way that makes sense is if Oilers are eating a huge part of Fayne salary for next season. It makes no sense for the other team to have an additional year of Fayne while trading away an expiring contract.

I approve of all of these. Benning, Ellis and Caggiula make using a second round pick a lot easier to stomach.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
To put things into perspective, Barkov had a worst rookie season than Yak, Gagner, Cogs, Schultz. Expecting Pulju to have the same development as Barkov is silly and is a disaster in the making.

1. A worse season offensively or what? Why do you insist on comparing him to other players? Why can't he be Barkov who had a perfectly successful rookie season as an 18 year old, and would likely be the first one to credit that year as a big reason behind his development?

2. Who said anything about Puljujarvi having the "same development" as Barkov? Why do they have to follow the same career path?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stauffer said Oilers are looking for a trade and retention in Fayne to fetch them a veteran RW, only way I see this work is if this RW is at the final year of their contract, here are some guesses as to who this might be:

- Jarome Iginla
- Drew Stafford
- Patrick Sharp
- Justin Williams (my personal pick)
- Brian Gionta

If not on the final year, I can see Atkinson, Pominville, Filpulla, Burrows.

Fayne isn't in his last year so it could very well be a guy with multiple years.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Facts helped me to reach this conclusion. Pitlick has played 196 games in the AHL and 27 games in the NHL. So far in his career he has been an AHL player at best.

Hope is alive and well. Lets HOPE that Draisaitl can get the job done playing out of position because there is no evidence to support that fact that he can.

I will give you Kassian but Pitlick has shown that so far in his career is is anything but a potential 'great' 4th line player.

'Hope for the best' has been this teams mantra since 2007.
Maybe hoping for the best is good enough for you and others here but after 10 years of abject failure I think Oiler fans deserve a little more than being expected to once again 'hope for the best'.

Remember that Draisaitl played 2C last year. playing RW is just going to take away some of the defensive responsibilities, especially with RNH on his line. If it doesn't work out, also remember that it's not the end of the world. Caggiula and Drai can switch spots quite easily.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Pulju starting in the NHL is the only scary thing I see...

Again, why is it so scary? You give him his 9 games and see how things go. Montreal is giving Sergachev his 9 games and that's on D. PLD is still up with CBJ, etc, etc.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's no what I said. I said nothing about "suggesting". Obviously time is needed, that's what I'm saying.

You're arguing against a sample size of 3 games like it means something either way.

Thats because it doesn mean something. It means that it isnt enough information from which to form an opinion.
Forming an opinion on Caggiula based on 3 games is a mistake IMO.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Again, why is it so scary? You give him his 9 games and see how things go. Montreal is giving Sergachev his 9 games and that's on D. PLD is still up with CBJ, etc, etc.

Barking up the wrong tree, man. I'm the one defending the way the team is.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Thats because it doesn mean something. It means that it isnt enough information from which to form an opinion.

So why are we arguing? The original comment, I believe, was about Puljujarvi.

It's fine to form an opinion after the pre-season. It's silly to declare success or failure on way or another.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
Remember that Draisaitl played 2C last year. playing RW is just going to take away some of the defensive responsibilities, especially with RNH on his line. If it doesn't work out, also remember that it's not the end of the world. Caggiula and Drai can switch spots quite easily.

that guy just needs to keep repeating that we lost all that experience of versteeg and now all is lost. not like we never added playoff experience in lucic and russell and that we have multiple players at that same age already.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Silly? Aside form the defence RW is the weakest part of this team.

The depth is as follows....

Eberle
Draisaitl (20 year old player playing out of position)
Puljujarvi (an 18 year old that has virtually no experience on NA ice)
Zack Kassian (not good enough to be a consistent top 9 player)
Tyler Pitlick ( a 24 year old career AHL'er)

Perplexing how so many posters are fine with this.

The "silly" part is that they VALUE inexperience...

I understand the worry about lack of depth in case Pulj struggles, but that can still be addressed later, IF it happens.

I still don't get the crying over losing a player that the best he could muster was a PTO on the worst team in the league.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I understand the worry about lack of depth in case Pulj struggles, but that can still be addressed later, IF it happens.

I still don't get the crying over losing a player that the best he could muster was a PTO on the worst team in the league.

This 100%. While Versteeg could've helped, he's not the be all end all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Cagguila...the player that has played 3 preseason games against AHL lineups.
That player will easily be able to switch spots with Draisaitl and move to the 2nd line quite easily?

The problem wit that line of thinking is that there is absolutely no useful evidence to support it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

There is a massive difference between Barkov and JP, and even Drai and JP. JP would be coming in for a depth role. The defense behind him would be much better than it was for Drai, and the team in general is better. Also, quite frankly he's a better prospect than Drai was. JP is also a winger, not a center, and center is a tougher gig. Barkov came into the league as a top six center immediately. That's way more stress than what JP would be asked to take on.

Lots of teams out there play players like JP immediately. Even this season, Matthews is playing from day 1, as well as Laine. I do think that JP's inconsistency thus far is cause for some alarm, but I don't want to over exaggerate that concern either. He had some blunders but was okay for the most part. If we do play JP immediately, I would be more hyped to see what he can do than worried that he's going to trip all over himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

No crying...just stating the obvious.

An obvious lack of experience on RW and an obvious willingness to 'hope for the best' that the young inexperienced players 'work out'.

In terms of this silly baseless experiment...meet the new boss...just like the old boss.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
This 100%. While Versteeg could've helped, he's not the be all end all.

Oilers have the cap space, it shouldn't be too hard to bring in a contract dump from some other team to replace the 3RW spot. Just look at how tight to the cap a lot of teams are right now. Also there will probably be a bunch of guys on waivers tomorrow....i know Jimbo Benning has already said that Etem is hitting the waiver wire for the Canucks tomorrow.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Oilers have the cap space, it shouldn't be too hard to bring in a contract dump from some other team to replace the 3RW spot. Just look at how tight to the cap a lot of teams are right now. Also there will probably be a bunch of guys on waivers tomorrow....i know Jimbo Benning has already said that Etem is hitting the waiver wire for the Canucks tomorrow.

Another reason is that maybe they want to move out a contract first or at the same time.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You may be defending them, but i was replying to your quote of how you said having Pulju are the opening roster was scary.

It was a relative thing, in that he was trying to say that if Pulju didn't work out, we had no backup plan. Now, that is scary, but I do recognize that it's not all that hard to find a 3RW. I was just trying to say, that's the scariest thing. Not actually that scary.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Cagguila...the player that has played 3 preseason games against AHL lineups.
That player will easily be able to switch spots with Draisaitl and move to the 2nd line quite easily?

The problem wit that line of thinking is that there is absolutely no useful evidence to support it.

And no evidence against it. So as we said earlier, let's wait and see. 3C isn't a really hard role to fill either way. You'll probably disagree, but I think Khaira is quite close to being able to temporarily fill that role if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad