Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
Silly? Aside form the defence RW is the weakest part of this team.

The depth is as follows....

Eberle
Draisaitl (20 year old player playing out of position)
Puljujarvi (an 18 year old that has virtually no experience on NA ice)
Zack Kassian (not good enough to be a consistent top 9 player)
Tyler Pitlick ( a 24 year old career AHL'er)

Perplexing how so many posters are fine with this.

career ahler at 24...okay
kassian will be starting with a full trainging camp and is actually sober now. he could easily be back in the top 9 for all you or i know
puljujarvi could surprise if sheltered, but i would prefer him in the a and sleeepy try make it more than 15 games

Last edited by a moderator:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
kassian will be starting with a full trainging camp and is actually sober now. he could easily be back in the top 9 for all you or i know
puljujarvi could surprise if sheltered, but i would prefer him in the a and sleeepy try make it more than 15 games
if you have doubts about drai, youre just lacking in hockey IQ

Right. I completely forgot Sleepy as well. So there you have it. Not the end of the world.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No crying...just stating the obvious.

An obvious lack of experience on RW and an obvious willingness to 'hope for the best' that the young inexperienced players 'work out'.

In terms of this silly baseless experiment...meet the new boss...just like the old boss.

Here's the big difference between the inexperience problem now and the way it was in the past: Our prominent roles are all taken by experienced NHL players. Hall, Eberle and RNH were inexperienced in the early rebuild, and were expected to carry our team. That's not what JP, Caggiula, Slepyshev, or Pitlick are coming in to do. That is a night and day difference.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Never mind...moving on.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So uh, we trade away Yakupov, don't pick up PAP on waivers and then have Versteeg sign somewhere else. Great. Just when it was looking like we'd go into a season with some depth for once.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
It was a relative thing, in that he was trying to say that if Pulju didn't work out, we had no backup plan. Now, that is scary, but I do recognize that it's not all that hard to find a 3RW. I was just trying to say, that's the scariest thing. Not actually that scary.

I think Pulju has it a lot better off this year than other top picks from years prior. Hall, RNH and company were thrown into top 6 right off the bat and having to go against the other teams top lines. If you can get Pulju in for 9 games on the 3rd line i don't think it can be any more ideal a spot for him. Better matchups and less pressure to produce. If he's still having difficulty, we just send him down at the 9 game mark and he gets more experience at the AHL level and then heads over to the WJC's where he gets another chance to dominate.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think Pulju has it a lot better off this year than other top picks from years prior. Hall, RNH and company were thrown into top 6 right off the bat and having to go against the other teams top lines. If you can get Pulju in for 9 games on the 3rd line i don't think it can be any more ideal a spot for him. Better matchups and less pressure to produce. If he's still having difficulty, we just send him down at the 9 game mark and he gets more experience at the AHL level and then heads over to the WJC's where he gets another chance to dominate.

Agreed. He has to adjust to the size of the playing surface though, which the others didn't (they all played junior in NA)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here's the big difference between the inexperience problem now and the way it was in the past: Our prominent roles are all taken by experienced NHL players. Hall, Eberle and RNH were inexperienced in the early rebuild, and were expected to carry our team. That's not what JP, Caggiula, Slepyshev, or Pitlick are coming in to do. That is a night and day difference.

Again...the RW depth is a major issue. Do you disagree?

North

Jun 25, 2009

This.

None of these players are expected to carry the mail, JP included.

They have a stronger supporting cast.

Versteeg is not a huge loss and passing on Parenteau is no big deal.

A team that needed Parenteau more than us waived him. What does that say?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You realize he has 1 more year of experience, and is actually going to have a smaller role this year, right?

lol the dude said you have no IQ if you think there is concerns about Drai. There is legit concerns with him because he HAS NOT proven he can play a full 82 games at a high level. Odds are he can and will but he has not to shown that yet so to imply someone has no idea what they are talking about just makes the poster look stupid.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
lol the dude said you have no IQ if you think there is concerns about Drai. There is legit concerns with him because he HAS NOT proven he can play a full 82 games at a high level. Odds are he can and will but he has not to shown that yet so to imply someone has no idea what they are talking about just makes the poster look stupid.

Thank you.

There are even more troublesome concerns with Puljujarvi as well.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Agreed. He has to adjust to the size of the playing surface though, which the others didn't (they all played junior in NA)

Ice surface isn't as different in finland as it is in the rest of Europe.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You don't need to go back nearly that far to find Barkov.

Barkov got a lot of sheltering his first season and struggled a lot, and I would argue he was a more NHL ready prospect than Pulju was. Is a ~20 point season worth wasting one of Pulju's ELC years on? I'd prefer he learn the NA game in the AHL, with the bonus that we don't have to deal with another high profile contract renewal right after McDavid gets his massive payday.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007

so he cant play 82 games because he started in the a last season? please explain that logic

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the best part about HFOil is i completely disagreed with most of what guymez was posting all afternoon and now i am arguing from his point of view. lol

North

Jun 25, 2009
Again...the RW depth is a major issue. Do you disagree?

They are trying to address it a different way.

By trading Fayne, so they can then call up Gryba to be the 7 d man.

The 50 man list is an issue too and teams like to have some breathing room.

Versteeg chose Calgary. It is what it is.

NYI, who needs Parenteau more than Edmonton, waived him. If he's not top 6, he's not that effective.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ice surface isn't as different in finland as it is in the rest of Europe.

Yeah, but RNH, Ebs, Hall, Yak, Schultz, etc played in NA which is the best case scenario in terms of ice surface. I still think JP will be fine, just a minor concern that some may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad