Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
it really is my favorite,

post - "we lack RW depth"

reaction "why do you hate xxxx and xxxx " then you get a whole argument about why xxxx is better than versteeg.

Yeah...I should know better than to start down that road in these parts. :laugh:

I agree about the depth. i disagree that versteeg is the answer and i think Chia will address this issue soon.

We do disagree on Versteeg...I think he still has a few years of quality hockey in him and he would have really helped this team. He will do very well in Calgary.
I would like to be as convinced as you are that Chiarelli thinks the RW situation is still an issue.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers are trying to address the RW position. They offered a contract to Versteeg, and they are looking at swapping Fayne with retention for a veteran RW'er.

The Oilers are always "trying" to fix the problem. MacT "tried" to fix the problem too. They never do. Trying is meaningless. Get results or go live in the sewers with MacT and Lowe.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
WTF did Pulju do in training camp to earn a spot? Same old Oilers ruining prospects. He should have been sent down, no reason to have him on the team this year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Didnt hear about the Fayne rumor. I cant imaging he has much value around the League especially at $3.5M.

Sounds to me like this may mean taking back a bad contract.

History suggests that trades aren't easy to make once the season starts so this lineup is likely to be what we have for at least 10-15 games.

Yeah, we'll see what happens. I think it was Stauffer who mentioned the Fayne thing. Hoping we can get a serviceable guy back, but we'll see.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
how are people getting hysterical over the loss of Versteeg?

Was he the saviour of this franchise?

really! really!!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Again...the RW depth is a major issue. Do you disagree?

In it's current state, it's very good. Eberle and Drai are both great in the top six. For the bottom six, I'm fine with Slepyshev, Kassian, Pakarinen, and Pitlick. I would prefer we don't put JP in the NHL right away, but I would not be surprised at all if he turned out to be great before long either. Imo something like Pouliot-Caggiula-Kassian will be very good. Pouliot-Caggiula-Puljujarvi could be incredible. If JP makes too many mistakes we'll just send him down.

And of course, if serious issues crop up, Chia will make trades. Finding a 3rd line quality RW shouldn't be difficult at all, and when the season starts going there will be some players around the league shaking loose

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yes but Benning and Lander have yet to be assigned and The Gryba deal still isn't official.
He says that's the lineup for tomorrow, so that's the 23-man roster. The Oilers will probably tweet something out soon.

McLellan said this morning they were waiting on injury updates.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The Oilers are always "trying" to fix the problem. MacT "tried" to fix the problem too. They never do. Trying is meaningless. Get results or go live in the sewers with MacT and Lowe.

This here's a reasonable post.

:laugh:

Chiarelli's fixed our goaltending, our defense for the most part, our size, and our grit. But because he hasn't fixed the 3rd line RW in one day he should be eating trash in the sewer.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah...I should know better than to start down that road in these parts. :laugh:

We do disagree on Versteeg...I think he still has a few years of quality hockey in him and he would have really helped this team. He will do very well in Calgary.
I would like to be as convinced as you are that Chiarelli thinks the RW situation is still an issue.

its only a gut feeling on no actual factual basis,......blind hope i guess lol

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not impressed on our GM. HE's about 50/50 in wining moves. Needs to b 80/20 with correct decisions.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So where do you think Drai should be. Not a rookie either.

I think Draisaitl should play at his natural position (centre) on the 3rd line.

I think that centre depth (next to a strong defence) is most important.

If they want to play him on the wing then playing an experienced winger ahead of him to eat some tougher minutes is also important.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
how are people getting hysterical over the loss of Versteeg?

Was he the saviour of this franchise?

really! really!!

It's not the loss of Versteeg. To me it's a clear indication that's the OBC is still pulling a few strings. This is straight up a MacT move.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's not the loss of Versteeg. To me it's a clear indication that's the OBC is still pulling a few strings. This is straight up a MacT move.
Oh hell. If the OBC were still pulling the strings, the guy in your avatar would be playing on the second pairing tomorrow.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Why do we never take advantage of our position on the waver wire to pick off good players that are let go? Why is PA P not here?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Caggiula = unproven
Daisaitl on RW = unproven

There is a theme here and its not very comforting.

You don't believe either of them in those positions? not even one?

Drai in the top 6 makes the top 6 stronger overall.

Caggiula fits the 3rd line, he needs to be sheltered on the 3rd line today. He's definitely capable of producing on the 3rd line today with his skating and I. q.

and don't be sleeping on the skill of Slepyshev.....whenever he gets called upon that is.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Chiarelli's fixed our goaltending, our defense for the most part, our size, and our grit. But because he hasn't fixed the 3rd line RW in one day he should be eating trash in the sewer.

Eat trash you a**hat Chia!!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Goaltending fixed, defense fixed. Forwards fixed. Man I can't wait for the playoffs. This team will be a shoe in! And to be fair, I don't care what he eats down there. He MacT and Lowe can order pizza Ninja Turtles style.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In it's current state, it's very good. Eberle and Drai are both great in the top six. For the bottom six, I'm fine with Slepyshev, Kassian, Pakarinen, and Pitlick. I would prefer we don't put JP in the NHL right away, but I would not be surprised at all if he turned out to be great before long either. Imo something like Pouliot-Caggiula-Kassian will be very good. Pouliot-Caggiula-Puljujarvi could be incredible. If JP makes too many mistakes we'll just send him down.

And of course, if serious issues crop up, Chia will make trades. Finding a 3rd line quality RW shouldn't be difficult at all, and when the season starts going there will be some players around the league shaking loose

We shall just have to disagree on this. Eberle is the only 'proven' top 9 RW on this team.
Draisaitl needs a lot of time on RW before we can all state that he is proven IMO.

Puljujarvi hasnt even played 10 games on NA ice at any level...he is about as unproven as it gets.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Goaltending fixed, defense fixed. Forwards fixed. Man I can't wait for the playoffs. This team will be a shoe in!

Man I can't believe this team isn't a playoff team after finishing in the basement for years!

It's like people have ignored how bad this team was and expect immediate results. :laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fair enough, however, last season they started Drai in the AHL, so I think the new regime has shown they aren't afraid to send guys down. And I think the comment about not having a concrete spot for Versteeg makes sense as well, why lie and guarantee it to him? Pulju could do just fine and then Versteeg is stuck as a 4th liner and blew his shot at CGYs first line. Between the Fayne rumblings and what the acquisition cost would be for another 3rw, I'm not too stressed.

Yeah, I am kinda grouping Lowe and Friends with Chia here which is not fair. He did good with Drai last year for sure. Guess we'll see how it all works out. Just hope he has a backup plan if Pulju doesn't end up ready.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You don't believe either of them in those positions? not even one?

Drai in the top 6 makes the top 6 stronger overall.

Caggiula fits the 3rd line, he needs to be sheltered on the 3rd line today. He's definitely capable of producing on the 3rd line today with his skating and I. q.

and don't be sleeping on the skill of Slepyshev.

I require evidence...hope isnt enough.
Sadly there is precious little evidence to support that Draisaitl is a proven RW or that Puljujarvi and Caggiula are NHL players at this point in time.

As for Slepyshev...I like the player but he has not shown that he is an NHL player yet either.

At some point in time the Oilers need to stop using the NHL as a development League.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair Pulju has already adjusted a fair bit.Compared to his first preseason game he already looks considerably better. Maybe the Oilers want to see if he'll hit a wall or keep improving since they have 9 games to make their decision.

I'm not that choked about Versteeg. I was wondering what other people saw in him before he got hurt since I found him pretty invisible. Wouldn't have minded him as a depth guy though. Stupid Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad