Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The Oilers were basically a last place team last year and people expect a huge leap in the standings.

We'll we better fricking move up the standings after trading two of our 1st overalls. If this management team can't improve the team doing that, then they don't deserve to be in the league.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Eberle was developed by Regina not the Oilers. Hall and RNH have both failed to meet expectations as #1 overalls. Have you ever wondered why the Oilers had the two worst 1st overall picks in over a decade back to back? You think it's just a coincidence? Or is it the fact that they can't develop players or scout them?

What?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's incomprehensible to me how some of you always seem to dwell on the same things and never let some things go.

I'd let things go if they were no longer involved and making decisions in regards to the operations of a team I love that they ran into the ground.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Almost every NHL team enters the season with hope for certain players filling roles. No team exists in its final state right now and that is the reason transaction occur throughout the season. Heck, the Blackhawks are relying on 6 rookies opening night.

Unlike Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Draisaitl rookie seasons, the Oilers are not relying on Caggiula or Puljujarvi to fill a top-6 role and face difficult match-ups. That represents progress for this team; as slow as it may be to recover from the dark ages of the Lowe/MacT/Eakins regime.

I appreciate the reasoned response.

My issue is really simple...stop using the NHL as a development League. Groom young players in the AHL and then bring them up into soft roles on the NHL roster until they can establish themsleves.

It takes depth to do that and thats what Versteeg represented to me.

If indeed Chiarelli is actively shopping for a proven RW then I am fine with this situation provided he resolves it in short order.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Look at the RW depth other teams in the Pacific division have.

Arizona- Doan, Reider, Vrbata, Richardson

Anaheim- Perry, Silfverberg, Sorenson, Boll

Calgary- Brouwer, Frolik, Versteeg, Chiasson

LA- Gaborik, Toffoli, Brown, Purcell

Vancouver- Eriksson, Hansen, Virtanen, Dorsett

Is Eberle, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Kassian the end of the world some are making it out to be? I prefer that group over most of the others listed.

You forgot SJS, but out of this list that you have, the only team I take ahead of the Oilers is LA and maybe Anaheim. SJS as well. But 3rd/4th isn't a bad spot to be, considering that I'd put our centres up against any other team's centres.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The worst part is even if they manage to pick up another RWer to start Pulju in the AHL, he'll be back in a week when Pitlick gets injured.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The worst part is even if they manage to pick up another RWer to start Pulju in the AHL, he'll be back in a week when Pitlick gets injured.

:handclap::handclap::handclap: Well done. Although I really hope he stays healthy. And in actuality Slepyshev would take the spot if Pitlick was injured. I could see Khaira get called up in that situation.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Keep in mind, MacLellan likes versatile forwards.

Ones who can play centre and wing.

Just because Drai and Caggiula are starting where they are doesn't mean they'll stay there forever.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You forgot SJS, but out of this list that you have, the only team I take ahead of the Oilers is LA and maybe Anaheim. SJS as well. But 3rd/4th isn't a bad spot to be, considering that I'd put our centres up against any other team's centres.

If you don't look long term and look at only this season the only team that were better then is Calgary. And now Draisaitl is a RW. I thought we took him to finally be the big center we've been missing since Arnott. Nope can't have that he needs to play the wing.

North

Jun 25, 2009

My issue is really simple...stop using the NHL as a development League. Groom young players in the AHL and then bring them up into soft roles on the NHL roster until they can establish themsleves.

If indeed Chiarelli is actively shopping for a proven RW then I am fine with this situation provided he resolves it in short order.

Ultimately, Puljujarvi has 9 games to prove he belongs.

If not, AHL for him.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
So, are we actually going to watch the games this year, or have we decided the outcome of the season already?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Ultimately, Puljujarvi has 9 games to prove he belongs.

If not, AHL for him.

So who plays in your top 9 at that point (bearing in mind that you're already playing one guy at RW who doesn't belong there)? If PJ falters and Chia picks up a experienced vet to fill the spot, fine. But there's no indication they can do it adequately from the current depth chart and there's no points for trying either.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The Oilers are always "trying" to fix the problem. MacT "tried" to fix the problem too. They never do. Trying is meaningless. Get results or go live in the sewers with MacT and Lowe.

This is great life advice. Can I share this with my kids?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I understand what you are saying, and we have to let go of what Lowe/MacT decided in the past and judge Chiarelli/McLellan based only on this year and last season. They inherited a huge mess with top picks having been developed poorly and huge roster holes existing. Chiarelli has been working at fixing the roster issues (with numerous hard, even painful decisions) and McLellan implementing a team structure that defines how every player will play on the Oilers.

To their credit did send down both Nurse and Draisaitl after last training camp. Eventually, injuries and the Oilers' poor roster depth (with no easy solution) forced both players back into the NHL probably earlier than was necessary. This year represents another step towards establishing better roster depth so that rookie players like Puljujarvi and Caggiula do not need to step into roles for which they are not ready. Obviously they feel that putting them on the 3rd line is not a significant risk that will expose them to top match-ups every game. If they prove not to be ready after a half-dozen games, then it will be up to Chiarelli to add veteran players that can fill those roles; however, we have witnessed that the price of a 3rd line player is not that expensive at this point in time. Overall, I believe these two players are being treated much more fairly and being put in a position to succeed than any of our other previous top-tier rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad