Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Unless this team undergoes some massive Kuhnian shift (which would probably be solely due to McDavid), I can't see any way it makes the playoffs this year.

The defence still isn't good enough, and the forward depth is weaker than it was 1 week ago.

At least they should beat the Flames?

calvinguy

Sep 12, 2010
Our opening day roster is terrible. My confidence in Chia is getting lower and lower. He is honestly the laughing stock of the league right now. First the Hall trade, then dealing Yakupov for a bag of pucks, next he lets Versteeg get stolen right under our noses.

People say the Versteeg situation is out of his control, but it's Chia's fault for not coming up with countermeasures (Parenteau) in case something like this happened. If Chia was on top of his game our right wing would not look like this.

If we lose these 2 opening games against Calgary, you can bet people will be polishing their pitchforks. Especially if Versteeg has any contribution towards those wins.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Who cares why Versteeg left. He's not here anymore and now the Oilers have that hole on their roster if the rookies can't handle it. Chia had a very easy no risk opportunity to address a lack of depth on waivers yesterday and chose not to. Now he's been burned by having Versteeg head down the highway and being left with no insurance should one of Caggiula or Puljujarvi struggle.

Versteeg leaving wasn't necessarily a forseeable outcome, but needing additional depth certainly was. Chia failed to do something so simple as pick up a 40 point winger for free and it already bit him a few hours later.

It's hard to blame Chiarelli for going into game 1 having one ACTUAL right winger in the top 9? Honestly?

There were a handful of people here yesterday saying that the Oilers should pick up Parenteau. And that's when we thought Versteeg was going to sign anyway.

Former first overall reclamation project for a conditional 3rd and a ECHL prospect would be looking like pretty good insurance for our RW situation right now. Just sayin'

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Our opening day roster is terrible. My confidence in Chia is getting lower and lower. He is honestly the laughing stock of the league right now. First the Hall trade, then dealing Yakupov for a bag of pucks, next he lets Versteeg get stolen right under our noses.

People say the Versteeg situation is out of his control, but it's Chia's fault for not coming up with countermeasures (Parenteau) in case something like this happened. If Chia was on top of his game our right wing would not look like this.

If we lose these 2 opening games against Calgary, you can bet people will be polishing their pitchforks. Especially if Versteeg has any contribution towards those wins.
And if the Oilers win the first two games are some of you going to calm the hell down?

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Dealing yak for a bag of pucks would of made this team better, the fact that he got a 3rd round pick is just gravy.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
tumblr_lkwlbxPN8Q1qgj47l.jpg

how about that one

"Opening night is Hawaiian shirt day. So go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, instead of your jersey. Thannnnks."

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not to be a downer or anything but Barzal and Beauvillier both made the Islanders.....:popcorn:...

Why is it a downer to provide another example of a team putting rookies into the NHL on their 3rd line? Chicago is doing too with Motte and Hartman. And yet the Oilers are the ones ruining their prospects by rushing them into a 3rd line, weak match-up situation to start their NHL careers?

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Oh please, Versteeg was a guy pretty much run out of the league and tried heading overseas for employment. He came here on a PTO. None of the other 29 teams even bothered giving him a contract come July 1st. As for PAP, here's a guy who the Islanders gave the boot to for a 19 yr old rookie. They go from trying him on the 1st line with Tavares to deciding they don't need him period, even at a 1.25m salary. Yeah NJ took, but 9 others teams in addition to the Oilers decided to pass on him.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yeah I have little confidence in that forward group right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Also versteeg can suck a big one

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Why is it a downer to provide another example of a team putting rookies into the NHL on their 3rd line? Chicago is doing too with Motte and Hartman. And yet the Oilers are the ones ruining their prospects by rushing them into a 3rd line, weak match-up situation to start their NHL careers?

That's the league in full reverse on edmonton being credible post mcdavid/arena. All the shame must be shone upon edmonton.

First yak for scraps, then versteeg to Cgy, now the reinhart sucks magnetomorph,

Bettman is just orchestratin the final coup d'etat when McDavid demands a trade to Smash Vegas.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Oh please, Versteeg was a guy pretty much run out of the league and tried heading overseas for employment. He came here on a PTO. None of the other 29 teams even bothered giving him a contract come July 1st. As for PAP, here's a guy who the Islanders gave the boot to for a 19 yr old rookie. They go from trying him on the 1st line with Tavares to deciding they don't need him period, even at a 1.25m salary. Yeah NJ took, but 9 others teams in addition to the Oilers decided to pass on him.

Good post

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Just another reminder of the Reinhart trade I guess. I don't have a problem with Pu on the third line. If he sucks we can rejigger the lines maybe make a deal. Would have been nice to keep Versteeg around but not the end of the world I suppose.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Can someone track the Edmonton journal game player ratings for versteeg? Seems to me he played his best vs ahl and rookies but , as the teams iced better lineups, he dropped off considerably.

I wish he would have signed but it was probably for a 4 th line role.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's hard to blame Chiarelli for going into game 1 having one ACTUAL right winger in the top 9? Honestly?

There were a handful of people here yesterday saying that the Oilers should pick up Parenteau. And that's when we thought Versteeg was going to sign anyway.

Where is this narrative coming from that Draisaitl can't play well on RW?

He himself has said that he's completely OK in either position, and from the admittedly few times I've seen him play the position both here and in the WHL he looks very natural coming down the wing. It actually suits him well IMO.

Maybe he's not an ACTUAL right winger in that he's not lived his entire life in that position, but I don't see why it should be assumed that he'll struggle with it. It's not like it is a harder position to perform at then being a C.

As for Parenteau, he's got his uses but I think there are some valid concerns about him losing a step and if he could give you production if he's not spoon feed top line minutes. And at the end of the day, if he's such a hot commodity then why couldn't he beat raw rookies Barzal and Ho-Sang? It's not like they're any more proven than Caggiula or even Puljujarvi for that matter.

I don't disagree the Oilers could use more depth at wing, but it looks like they're wanting someone with a different skillset than a slow, non-physical finesse winger.

Besides, I thought the biggest complaint around here for years, and the #1 reason why the Oilers had missed the playoffs for so long was because they had too many of the same type of player. I swear that was all that was said for an eternity...and now we want another small skilled winger with meh skating?

Versteeg I would've had time for because of his versatility, but Parenteau's a 33 yr old one trick pony at this point in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad