Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Former first overall reclamation project for a conditional 3rd and a ECHL prospect would be looking like pretty good insurance for our RW situation right now. Just sayin'

Yep exactly! Does everyone really believe that Chia couldn't have gotten a cap dump that would help the team this year for Yakupov? Instead he dumped him for a 2nd /3rd round pick because the OBC lost one for hiring him.

If he can't even make the team somewhat competitive after trading Hall and Yakupov along with all the other assets he's moved over the past year and a half he should be fired. A monkey could do a better job.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Can someone track the Edmonton journal game player ratings for versteeg? Seems to me he played his best vs ahl and rookies but , as the teams iced better lineups, he dropped off considerably.
That was my feeling as well. On the other hand I thought Caggiula was the opposite. To my eye he was sloppy and sluggish in Penticton, but the minute he had some NHL players on his line he started looking like a guy who knows what to do out there.
Doesn't change the fact that he pulled a Glencross. **** that guy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep exactly! Does everyone really believe that Chia couldn't have gotten a cap dump that would help the team this year for Yakupov? Instead he dumped him for a 2nd /3rd round pick because the OBC lost one for hiring him.

If he can't even make the team somewhat competitive after trading Hall and Yakupov along with all the other assets he's moved over the past year and a half he should be fired. A monkey could do a better job.

Given that Yakupov has been shopped forever and had minimal value? This is such common knowledge that the Oilers would be lucky to get a mid-pick for him. He's junk. Negative value.

8 freaking goals from the so-called "number 1 overall pick". Maybe at the AHL draft.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I thought at the end of the year the main goal was to make our d better by getting a #1/2 and a #4.

When did the 3rd line become the most important thing on the agenda?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

What's the point of arguing something no one will ever know?

I mean, the only retort is "he likely tried for something, but he didn't have the offers" but then it's all theoretical and pointless.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought at the end of the year the main goal was to make our d better by getting a #1/2 and a #4.

When did the 3rd line become the most important thing on the agenda?

They didn't get a #4. They certainly didn't get a #1. Maybe they got a 2.

Now what looked like would be the one strength the Oilers had is starting to look dangerously thin.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

I mean, the only retort is "he likely tried for something, but he didn't have the offers" but then it's all theoretical and pointless.

not really theory when 2 of the best insiders in the business say Chia has been shopping Yak since March and no takers. It was said a long time ago that a 3rd or 4th was as good as Yaks value was ever going to get.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Given that Yakupov has been shopped forever and had minimal value? This is such common knowledge that the Oilers would be lucky to get a mid-pick for him. He's junk. Negative value.

8 freaking goals from the so-called "number 1 overall pick". Maybe at the AHL draft.

There's several players out there with negative value who would have improved the Oilers.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

There is no evidence Chia was ever offered any roster player for Yakupov. In fact, the media insiders who travel with and talk to management have all stated Yakupov had basically no trade value.

The only offer reported was a 4th or 5th round pick at the 2016 draft. Chia decided to keep Yakupov rather than deal him for such a paltry return.

Now, he managed to get a third, which could turn into a second.

For whatever reason, posters like to concoct stories that simply didn't happen. Chia was never offered anything useful for Yakupov despite shopping him for a year.

He had a player making public trade demands, and eventually decided just to move him for the best offer he could get, rather than start the season with a distraction.

He didn't have any good options here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not claiming PAP doesn't look good right now.

I still believe in this team, but man going from possibly Versteeg and PAP to neither sucks.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Now what looked like would be the one strength the Oilers had is starting to look dangerously thin.

It didn't look any better with Yakupov. The guy killed just about any line he was on, except for when he played with McDavid. I can see that argument, but I can also see the argument against putting a terrible player on a line with McDavid.

Hopefully Stauffer is right about the Oilers moving Fayne for a RWer, because they definitely need to shore it up now.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site

We also did receive a cap dump to help the team this season by signing Russell. The biggest advantage for him is it is only 1 year which opens up space again next season if he doesn't work out.

Cap space matters - if you can sign an asset for free, and work with their cap space, you've done a good job. Yakupov for a 2nd/3rd and Russell is about the best we could have hoped for, unfortunately.

Hall was traded for Larsson AND Lucic, because of the great cap hit Larsson is currently on. Lucic replaces Hall's cap hit. That cap hit is also what increases Larsson's value to that of Hall's.

I see Chiarelli operating much more like a business, not afraid to move pieces around to make the numbers work. I like it.

That said, I would have been into some of the waiver fodder that was out there (PAP/Pulk), but again, sometimes it's better not to add wasted roster and cap hits. We need to make sure we keep room for a top four RHD if one becomes available/we can make a move for them.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It didn't look any better with Yakupov. The guy killed just about any line he was on, except for when he played with McDavid. I can see that argument, but I can also see the argument against putting a terrible player on a line with McDavid.

Hopefully Stauffer is right about the Oilers moving Fayne for a RWer, because they definitely need to shore it up now.
How could that be true, he has negative trade value.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
On Versteeg, we once again see a pattern.

Calgary is constantly bringing in these journeymen, failing, players, who are trying to salvage their careers, and people on this board are constantly yapping about how awesome their management is for doing so.

Mason Raymond, Devin Setoguchi, Joe Colborne, and now Versteeg. I'm sure there's a couple more plugs who were even more insignificant (Blake Comeau).

These guys usually end up on waivers, and are gone fairly quickly. Calgary has a bunch of junk on their roster like Bouma, Bollig, Ferland, etc. So, in their case, Versteeg is likely an upgrade.

Personally, I think Pitlick and Slepyshev outplayed Versteeg in our camp. Especially for a two-way role on the third line. It wasn't close really.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Their RW depth is questionable at the moment. Whether you like him or not, it looks like they pulled the trigger on the Yak deal a tad early IMO. Unless he has something in his back pocket or one of the bubble guys steps up, Chiarelli looks unprepared.

It isn't the end of the world, but banking on a 20 year old natural center succeeding in a top six role on the wing just sounds a little hopeful.

If Draisaitl flops there it's 'Oh, I hope Jesse can stick.' Or it's 'Oh, maybe Tyler can step up.' 'Maybe Drake's up for the challenge.' Next thing you know our fourth line winger's in the top six again.

Natural RW depth

Eberle
Puljujarvi
Pitlick
Kassian
Slepyshev (technically a LW)
---------
Russell
Pakarinen
Salinen
Platzer

...not that impressive.

Personally, I think Pitlick and Slepyshev outplayed Versteeg in our camp. Especially for a two-way role on the third line. It wasn't close really.

I'm actually excited to see if Pitlick can pull a Davidson this year and grab a permanent spot after looking like he could've been on the outs. He had a great camp.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Will the Oilers benefit from having Puljujarvi and Cagguila (with their large bonuses) on the roster when Ference is put on LTIR? There is a thread on the business board stating that Columbus benefits to the tune of $2M from keeping up Dubois when Clarkson is put on the LTIR. They will send him back to junior after the cap benefit is realized.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Edmonton would have to improve roughly 20 pts in the standings to make it to the last wildcard spot. That's more 10 wins.
With 48 games of McDavid, 30 games of Klefbom, and the addition of Sekera and Talbot the Oilers gained 8 points and knocked 40 goals of their differential in 15-16
Healthy McDavid, Klefbom, Eberle, RNH, and the addition of Lucic, Cagguila, and Puljujarvi(vs. Hall, Lander, and Yakupov) should make another huge step. Never mind the addition of Larsson, Russell, and Gustavsson(vs. Schultz, Fayne*, and Nilsson)

20 points might be a stretch but it's definitely doable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad