Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
There's a lot of teams that have worse or just as unproven 3rd lines with nothing better than we do to fill in if someone gets injured. Lets hope for once we don't get the short end of the stick with injuries.

Not to mention we have McDavid as the #1C whereas they don't.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oh no! We have question marks with the 3rd line right winger position! What will we do?

Pack it in. Fire Chia. It's hopeless.

Question: is the 3 RW the least important position or second least?

Too funny

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
This place is so ridiculous sometimes. A week ago people were saying that this is the deepest forward corps the oilers have had in a decade. now because kris versteeg, who by the way, was supposed to be playing in Europe because nobody would offer him a contact, signs with the flames, we're all of a sudden junk again. It's kris versteeg people, he's a soft 3rd/4th liner with some minor offensive upside. He's not that big of a loss.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's a lot of teams that have worse or just as unproven 3rd lines with nothing better than we do to fill in if someone gets injured. Lets hope for once we don't get the short end of the stick with injuries.

HOPE, eh?

We don't talk about that anymore.

;)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This place is so ridiculous sometimes. A week ago people were saying that this is the deepest forward corps the oilers have had in a decade. now because kris versteeg, who by the way, was supposed to be playing in Europe because nobody would offer him a contact, signs with the flames, we're all of a sudden junk again. It's kris versteeg people, he's a soft 3rd/4th liner with some minor offensive upside. He's not that big of a loss.

I agree, but the depth still isn't there.

We need another RW.

Personally I wasn't that excited about Versteeg.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

Bang on. Big meh from me, even though I thought he would be a good fit

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Oh no! We have question marks with the 3rd line right winger position! What will we do?

Pack it in. Fire Chia. It's hopeless.

Question: is the 3 RW the least important position or second least?

Too funny

Actually, it's with the whole third line now. Two rookies. But hey, we've had the whole throw them in to the fire thing work well last few years, keep at it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Actually, it's with the whole third line now. Two rookies. But hey, we've had the whole throw them in to the fire thing work well last few years, keep at it.

I think there's a difference between throwing rookies into the top 6 and throwing them on the 3rd line. One of those rookies is also 22 years old, so its not like he's some underdeveloped player fresh out of the draft. Really don't see much comparable between past years and this year.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

When is giving rookies soft 3rd line match-ups being thrown into the fire? This is not the same as Hall, RNH, Yakupov, or Draisaitl being asked to carry the offense in a top-6 role.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the Kings have Purcell and Setoguchi in the line-up
Anaheim has no Rickell
Calgary is so thin at RW they need Versteeg to play top 6 minutes

every team has holes...let's just hope Chia can fill the RW spot if needed

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So let me get this right, people are pissed that we didn't sign Versteeg? I must've missed him being awesome other than that early game (game 1 or 2 of the preseason?) instead of being a guy that was barely keeping pace with a guy that we got a conditional 3rd for. I get that he seemed better than Puljujarvi right this second, but we've seen a number of talented players struggle here to start their NHL careers and then take off not long afterwards. Puljujarvi will be a star for this team the only question is when. Beyond Puljujarvi we have Eberle (for his flaws as a player he produces high end offense consistently), Draisaitl, Maroon (played some RW last year), Pitlick (had a much better camp than Versteeg) and Kassian as RW options. I think that we'll manage just fine without Versteeg.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'd rather Slepy started 3RW than Pulju, he looked way better in the preseason.
I actually thought both Slepyshev and Pitlick had very strong camps and I'd be fine with them both getting some minutes tomorrow night. Both guys played hard every shift and have some untapped offence in their games. The odds are against both of them emerging as legit NHL players but given their camps, they deserve a chance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When is giving rookies soft 3rd line match-ups being thrown into the fire? This is not the same as Hall, RNH, Yakupov, or Draisaitl being asked to carry the offense in a top-6 role.

We have so much roster flexibility that it's crazy:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Draisaitl-Maroon

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Maroon
Caggiula-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Maroon
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The Jets are going into this year with three rookies and a sophmore on their left side. Us having to use two rookies on a third line that will be very sheltered is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
We have so much roster flexibility that it's crazy:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Draisaitl-Maroon

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Maroon

Or

Lucic-McDavid-Maroon
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Too thin man, too thin.....without Versteeg we have nothing:sarcasm:

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Nobody's pissed. I mean, there's some Flames related annoyance.

My stance is I think JP is not ready. Simple as that.
He's going to be a super player for us, and my opinion is that path should start in the AHL.

Vet RW was the way to facilitate that. I know Versteeg isn't the be all end all of the lineup's success. That rests with the top 6 F, all 6 D and Mr. Talbot.

The implication I'm arguing is JP and Caggiula's development.

Not gonna say a word if they perform of course. I'll be ecstatic.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Versteeg? meh. Now Kris Russell playing his off side on the second pairing, thats the stuff nightmares are made of. There isn't a player on the stars who when paired with this guy didn't see a significant decline in performance. That goal differential improvement last year, we can kiss that goodbye.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The Jets are going into this year with three rookies and a sophmore on their left side. Us having to use two rookies on a third line that will be very sheltered is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

people...meaning 3 loud posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad