Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Were? As in the past?

For their roles and what they showed in pre-season, not sure how you can argue the point that Versteeg should be in a roster spot more than Slepy or specifically Pitlick.

I saw Versteeg take a nice pass, off a nice play created entirely by Pitlick and score a goal. That was literally his addition to this entire pre-season.

I meant 'are'...whoops

and I've seen Versteeg score 15 goals in the NHL just last year

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'm appreciating the psychoanalysis, really. Much as I want to support your purge of people who disagree with you, I was pretty much just trying to support my point.

Clear it's not the popular one, not a big deal.

Looking forward to the season opener.

Im still talking to you so obviously i didnt purge you and hit the button. thats because i can see where you are coming from and you dont have a history of making me think you are doing the T word that cant be named and you arent going in circles spewing constant negativity in other threads.

It is what it is and my advice was real. Its going to be a tough year. get on board if you got the will. I believe it will be rewarding. If you are going to complain about things not in your control, and withsuch small roles so early in the year, than i dont think its good for you unless you are maso...which most of the board is but Masos normally dont complain about it. right?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Caggiula and Puljujarvi are here all year I would be extremely surprised if both of them didn't hit at least 20 points each.

I was thinking Pitlick more so than those 2.

I'll pass judgement on his best hockey until I've seen him the regular season...all he's proven is that he gets hurt a lot

he's a 4th liner/13th forward at best until proven otherwise

He has had a lot of injuries, that said he played well enough to make the team and played better than a guy that was trying to earn a contract in Versteeg.

I am not sure Sekera has the chops to cover an off side assignment either. Oh well, I guess Russell will make a convenient whipping boy (replacing Fayne in more than just position ;)) for another lost season.

If you say so, it doesn't take much to be better than Fayne.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would say that what Nielson said is a pretty bang on assessment. Versteeg can add some depth scoring, but he can't create much offence on his own, and he is not effective at all in board battles or physical play.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Laine has been terrible this preseason according to reports. He has zero goals but gets to stay the first 9 games. Tkachuk gets 8 games. Why doesn't Puljujari deserve to start in Edmonton?

Wonder if the other top 6 are playing? Matthews for sure.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted already but...

Losing Versteeg isn't the biggest deal. To be honest, I thought Slepy was more impressive.

Thats what i thought.

I think from Chias comments he had a gentlemans agreement to play it day by day and Versteeg could work out with the club in return. The injury to Drake had the Oil offering a contract and thats really it. They wont cry that he left.

The Oilers have an actual O corps with 2 possible openings in checking and energy roles... I didnt see versteeg as being good at bottom 6 and hes pathetic for top 6.
no loss

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Still looked like a 2 way contract player in camp.

and sorry hemmy i had replied to you earlier and later realized that you were refering to Versteeg and not Draake as, oilers playing a guy at centre who is a winger. or whatever.

Drake had alot of D draws and was dominant in his showings. he dominated all centres in camp. so he is a good bet to be useful there, if not a Fulltime Centre.

I ve come to remember they were looking at Versteeg as a C. sorry my bad

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Im still talking to you so obviously i didnt purge you and hit the button. thats because i can see where you are coming from and you dont have a history of making me think you are doing the T word that cant be named and you arent going in circles spewing constant negativity in other threads.

It is what it is and my advice was real. Its going to be a tough year. get on board if you got the will. I believe it will be rewarding. If you are going to complain about things not in your control, and withsuch small roles so early in the year, than i dont think its good for you unless you are maso...which most of the board is but Masos normally dont complain about it. right?

Well to be fair, nothing discussed on these boards is based on things in our control.

I know what you're saying. It could be a growing pain year again, Likely will be.
Doesn't say much if I can't stick with the team I claim to be a fan of despite all that right?

At game 0, I always have some hope and expectations. As should the team.

Anyways. No hostility meant, just had an opinion on development of some of our young players.

Excited to get the season rolling

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Our team is better than it was last year.

In: Lucic, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, Larsson, Russell, Benning
Out: Hall, Yakupov

You didn't like Yak and he's gone, that should be addition by subtraction in your eyes. So that leaves us with Hall vs. all of those players. At bare minimum that's 3 solid NHL players and 3 solid prospects, two of which we signed as FA's.

Not really sure what you're arguing here. You seem to be trying to frame my position for me.
Just so you are clear my position is that this team is thin on RW. Pitlick and Pulu are not viable options at this point in time.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Well to be fair, nothing discussed on these boards is based on things in our control.

I know what you're saying. It could be a growing pain year again, Likely will be.
Doesn't say much if I can't stick with the team I claim to be a fan of despite all that right?

At game 0, I always have some hope and expectations. As should the team.

Anyways. No hostility meant, just had an opinion on development of some of our young players.

Excited to get the season rolling

you got to have a bit more faith. Starting a guy like JP in a league game doesnt mean they are just throwing him to the wolves. TMc didnt look concerned with Versteeg jumping ship. He also wants forwards who will assist in the defending. I just dont know how Versteeg was going to do that. He looked...kid like weak to me. I expect mistakes out of JP and Slepy etc...but i also expect them stronger on pucks and more valuable in other dimensions of the game

If it doesnt work there are still many things we can do. We got cap space. other GMs want to move guys not on their NHL team. some FAs still available and inevitable that teams will have injuries (hello FLA already)

I will add that after 10 years of this crap....this is the first year i have any faith in playoffs. Its the best roster since 06. the team just needs to execute and have a different personality. they need to finish checks walk taller and be more puck hungry in all 3 zones. i think it will happen.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Versteeg didn't sign here, we can't change that. Move forward - who is available now (post waiver wire goodies...) as a 3rd/4th line cheap forward?

honestly if you wanted a waiver guy you could call up the team and likely have him for a bag of pucks. they are not valuable

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
When is giving rookies soft 3rd line match-ups being thrown into the fire? This is not the same as Hall, RNH, Yakupov, or Draisaitl being asked to carry the offense in a top-6 role.

"Soft" 3rd line match-ups can be quite challenging to a player if they are not ready for the NHL it is the best league in the world, we are used to watching a high level of hockey and act like anyone can play some soft minutes, but the truth is there are no easy outs in the NHL, players that do not belong in the league will be exposed even if they are afforded a cushy spot. Also teams only have so many "soft" minutes to give out praying on the advantages you have over the other team is how you win games, if Pulju isn't cashing in offensively at an acceptable rate in these minutes he is hurting our bottomline.

RNH, Yak, and Drai were all given easy minutes to start it's only Hall of that bunch that was thrown into the fire. I'm not sure why these false narratives keep perpetuating on these boards, I still see people claim RNH got 1st line match-ups in his first season when he was clearly slotted behind Horcoff and Gagner and seen the 8th toughest Corsi quality of competition, he also got a huge zone start bias as a rookie as well, he was simply not doing the heavy lifting.

Let's quit rushing players into the NHL aside from Hall and McDavid who are out and out studs, all other players we've rushed to the NHL straight from their draft year have been underwhelming. Let's not do the same thing that has fueled us towards being a perpetual bottom feeder. We have a new building and it's the Connor McDavid era lets start things off right, I don't want any more easy jobs handed out, you want on this club you have to earn it & Pulju hasn't earned it with the way he has played, he isn't so far off that he might not be able to grow into it as we go, but let's set a higher standard and bar for us to aspire to.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think there's two arguments.

1. Thinness on the RW, which doesn't matter. The two teams in the Stanley Cup had pretty awful RW depth after the two 2 guys. Non-story.

2. Rushing guys into the NHL, which I feel does matter. I would have preferred Versteeg to be here just so Jesse could get some AHL time before the big show. There's no rush.

I'm just trying to look this at from both angles.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
you got to have a bit more faith. Starting a guy like JP in a league game doesnt mean they are just throwing him to the wolves. TMc didnt look concerned with Versteeg jumping ship. He also wants forwards who will assist in the defending. I just dont know how Versteeg was going to do that. He looked...kid like weak to me. I expect mistakes out of JP and Slepy etc...but i also expect them stronger on pucks and more valuable in other dimensions of the game

If it doesnt work there are still many things we can do. We got cap space. other GMs want to move guys not on their NHL team. some FAs still available and inevitable that teams will have injuries (hello FLA already)

I will add that after 10 years of this crap....this is the first year i have any faith in playoffs. Its the best roster since 06. the team just needs to execute and have a different personality. they need to finish checks walk taller and be more puck hungry in all 3 zones. i think it will happen.

I suppose if it's going to happen, the home heavy schedule in October will be best for JP's NHL transition. Light minutes, favourable matchups.

I'll definitely agree with that last part. Here's hoping.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
In Matheson's article today, Versteeg said that his agent sat on the Oilers offer (obviously with his knowledge). So it was probably given to him when Yak was traded. Calgary expressed interest in him, he knew he could have multiple offers. He chose the team that was a better fit. No fault here for the Oil IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think there's two arguments.

1. Thinness on the RW, which doesn't matter. The two teams in the Stanley Cup had pretty awful RW depth after the two 2 guys. Non-story.

2. Rushing guys into the NHL, which I feel does matter. I would have preferred Versteeg to be here just so Jesse could get some AHL time before the big show. There's no rush.

When you are thin on defense then other areas matter. The Oilers clearly have a below average defence and below average depth on RW. Comparing them to a Stanley Cup winner is pointless.

So yes...it matters.

I get this need to believe that everything is fine but unfortunately reality contradicts that.

This isnt a playoff team...it should be unless you and others are content with this team setting an NHL record for missing the playoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not really sure what you're arguing here. You seem to be trying to frame my position for me.
Just so you are clear my position is that this team is thin on RW. Pitlick and Pulu are not viable options at this point in time.

So we can play Draisaitl and/or Maroon there if need be. Still thin in your opinion? Versteeg wasn't anything to write home about, the idea of Versteeg (veteran with lots of big game experience) was great, the problem is that he looked like a guy that could play at this level but not really excel at it. The Kings decided to sign Purcell over Versteeg after trading for him last year. This is a guy that went much of the offseason without contract offers, this guy is closer to a Sam Gagner type at this point than a big time contributor at least based on what I saw of him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So we can play Draisaitl and/or Maroon there if need be. Still thin in your opinion? Versteeg wasn't anything to write home about, the idea of Versteeg (veteran with lots of big game experience) was great, the problem is that he looked like a guy that could play at this level but not really excel at it. The Kings decided to sign Purcell over Versteeg after trading for him last year. This is a guy that went much of the offseason without contract offers, this guy is closer to a Sam Gagner type at this point than a big time contributor at least based on what I saw of him.

Versteeg was a value option. If he isnt anything to write home about then you dont have to play him.

The point being that depth is good...lack of depth is bad.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When you are thin on defense then other areas matter. The Oilers clearly have a below average defence and below average depth on RW. Comparing them to a Stanley Cup winner is pointless.

So yes...it matters.

I get this need to believe that everything is fine but unfortunately reality contradicts that.

This isnt a playoff team...it should be unless you and others are content with this team setting an NHL record for missing the playoffs.

The planets would have to align for the Oilers to make the playoffs and PAP/Versteeg certainly wasn't the difference.

The three CAL teams, STL, CHI, NSH, and DAL. That's 7 playoff teams right there. One spot is open, probably for the Avalanche or something.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
"Soft" 3rd line match-ups can be quite challenging to a player if they are not ready for the NHL it is the best league in the world, we are used to watching a high level of hockey and act like anyone can play some soft minutes, but the truth is there are no easy outs in the NHL, players that do not belong in the league will be exposed even if they are afforded a cushy spot. Also teams only have so many "soft" minutes to give out praying on the advantages you have over the other team is how you win games, if Pulju isn't cashing in offensively at an acceptable rate in these minutes he is hurting our bottomline.

RNH, Yak, and Drai were all given easy minutes to start it's only Hall of that bunch that was thrown into the fire. I'm not sure why these false narratives keep perpetuating on these boards, I still see people claim RNH got 1st line match-ups in his first season when he was clearly slotted behind Horcoff and Gagner and seen the 8th toughest Corsi quality of competition, he also got a huge zone start bias as a rookie as well, he was simply not doing the heavy lifting.

Let's quit rushing players into the NHL aside from Hall and McDavid who are out and out studs, all other players we've rushed to the NHL straight from their draft year have been underwhelming. Let's not do the same thing that has fueled us towards being a perpetual bottom feeder. We have a new building and it's the Connor McDavid era lets start things off right, I don't want any more easy jobs handed out, you want on this club you have to earn it & Pulju hasn't earned it with the way he has played, he isn't so far off that he might not be able to grow into it as we go, but let's set a higher standard and bar for us to aspire to.

It's not just the Oilers doing this. Look at opening night rosters across the NHL. They are littered with rookies, many of which are playing higher than the 3rd line. The team has much more effective, veteran offensive depth to shield Puljujarvi compared to what the earlier rookies had. If he's not ready, then the Oilers can make an AHL call-up, trade, or waiver claim to address the situation. I do not see why the rookies on the roster situation cannot be evaluated game-by-game.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would say that what Nielson said is a pretty bang on assessment. Versteeg can add some depth scoring, but he can't create much offence on his own, and he is not effective at all in board battles or physical play.

Versteeg is a very frustrating player, streaky player, he'll score at times but most of the times fans are frustrated with him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The planets would have to align for the Oilers to make the playoffs and PAP/Versteeg certainly wasn't the difference.

The three CAL teams, STL, CHI, NSH, and DAL. That's 7 playoff teams right there. One spot is open, probably for the Avalanche or something.

This is about addressing needs.

The planets dont have to align for this team to make the playoffs either...thats hyperbole.
A couple of key needs have to be met. A vet RW and a top 4 dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium