Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No, I don't wish him to be injured. I am quite sure he will be injured as he is our only decentish(hate the player) right winger now. It is just bound to happen.

To be fair most teams don't really have the depth to cover the loss of a star player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thats an oversimplification IMO.
In terms of the defence they dont have a #1 dman. They might have a pair of #2's but the jury is still out on that. Time will tell but IMO its a good bet.
Sekera is a solid #3/4 dman. Thats why adding a solid #3/4 like Trouba would be great add.
That gives the team a very solid top 4 which often times compensates for not having a #1 dman.
That pushes Russell down to the 3rd pairing unless there are injuries. Thats what a good defence with depth accomplishes.

Even if the Swedes prove out to be a pair of #2's the bottom line is that they compliment each other very well and form a solid top pairing. Not Josi-Subban good by any means but far from a couple of #4's playing way over their heads.

I agree but Chia has already added a top pairing guy, a 2nd pairing guy and now a 4/5 guy. Ultimately a 2nd pairing RHD would be great but that move likely waits until the next offseason after another season of player evaluation.

Our defense is passable, I never said that it was good. But it is light years better than what it was when Chia took over.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Versteeg would have been nice, but it's not that big a deal as people are making it out to be. PAP, I feel is pretty much negative value, no need for floaters in the lineup.

I believe Pulju will stay up for 4-5 games, if he struggles then they send him down. No big deal.
We have players like Kassian, pitlick, slepy, khaira who all bring energy & physicality to the lineup. Yes versteeg and PAP are veteran players but they have there fair share of flaws too.

Plus Hendricks will be back in a month. People talking like this non-signing is going to kill our season are seriously overreacting.

Exactly. Having a spot open should make the guys on the farm hungrier. Kassian could also step in and fill that role.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So now the sky is falling because we don't have an amazing 3rd line RW?

We are deeper at LW and C than RW but our RW isn't all that bad IMO. Especially if a guy like Pitlick or Kassian steps into that spot and seizes it.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
This is really simple.
Look at the roster...RW and defence are issues. Fix that and this is a playoff team regardless of what happened last season.

a 3rd line RW is a key piece? We should be a real good team if that's one of your main concerns.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even if the Swedes prove out to be a pair of #2's the bottom line is that they compliment each other very well and form a solid top pairing. Not Josi-Subban good by any means but far from a couple of #4's playing way over their heads.

I agree but Chia has already added a top pairing guy, a 2nd pairing guy and now a 4/5 guy. Ultimately a 2nd pairing RHD would be great but that move likely waits until the next offseason after another season of player evaluation.

Our defense is passable, I never said that it was good. But it is light years better than what it was when Chia took over.

I never stated that you said the defence was good. I simply stated that it wasnt good enough.
Being better than last season is nothing to get excited about. Accomplishing that was a no brainer and shouldnt be the benchmark for this team.

BTW...who is the 2nd pairing guy that Chia added? You cant possibly be referring to Ruseell being played on the Right side. If so then you are completely out to lunch IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
a 3rd line RW is a key piece? We should be a real good team if that's one of your main concerns.

Exactly. We have an actual and functional 1st pairing, at least 1/2 of a 2nd pairing and solid LW and center depth. I'm much more concerned about our back-up goaltender than who our 3RW is.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly. Having a spot open should make the guys on the farm hungrier. Kassian could also step in and fill that role.

It doesn't matter how "hungry" they are if they can't play though.

There are two rookies who have never played a game in the NHL penciled into the top 9 and if either of them fail we don't have any reasonable solution to fill in for them. That is certainly a main concern I think.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
dude, it's been the narrative all day

Dude...thats hyperbole. The narrative has been that the Oilers need a vet presence on the right side.

Nothing more. The counter has been that Versteeg isnt all that and everything is fine as is. The usual refrain when the Oilers dont get a certain player.

Looks to me like you are reading way too much into things and seeing what you want to see.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I never stated that you said the defence was good. I simply stated that it wasnt good enough.
Being better than last season is nothing to get excited about. Accomplishing that was a no brainer and shouldnt be the benchmark for this team.

BTW...who is the 2nd pairing guy that Chia added? You cant possibly be referring to Ruseell being played on the Right side. If so then you are completely out to lunch IMO.

It's good enough to compete IMO. Could it use more help? Of course. Ideally we'd have a 2nd pairing RHD that can run a PP and Russell moves to the 3rd pairing with Nurse getting some AHL seasoning.

Chia added Sekera last season. So 2/4 top 4 spots have been filled by Chia to date. It's supper time here not lunch time so you're out to supper man! :nod:

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Dude...thats hyperbole. The narrative has been that the Oilers need a vet presence on the right side.

Nothing more. Looks to me like you are reading way too much into things and seeing what you want to see.

If it's nothing more, why have you been posting about it all day about how they value rookies over vets.

When other teams have cut said vets you want to claim, to play 19 year old rookies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If it's nothing more, why have you been posting about it all day about how they value rookies over vets.

When other teams have cut said vets you want to claim, to play 19 year old rookies.

Huh? Please do show me 1 post where I said this.

Just one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It doesn't matter how "hungry" they are if they can't play though.

IMO Pitlick has looked pretty damn good but we all know his injury history. Kassian has played a 3rd line role in Vancouver in the past and he could step into that role in theory. On the flip side how do you know that Versteeg was going to prove worthy of the 3RW spot? What if he looks washed up? I'd take a chance on Pulju gaining traction of having a hungry Pitlick and Slepyshev step up or move Maroon to the RW rather than signing a guy that didn't look all that good at camp.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can't wait for Eberle to be injured. Maybe then these chiaturd fanboys will finally admit that the idiot needs to be fired.

Eberle has been injured once in the last 4 seasons. It seems like you need to cool off, take a break from the board or take a break from the team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's good enough to compete IMO. Could it use more help? Of course. Ideally we'd have a 2nd pairing RHD that can run a PP and Russell moves to the 3rd pairing with Nurse getting some AHL seasoning.

Chia added Sekera last season. So 2/4 top 4 spots have been filled by Chia to date. It's supper time here not lunch time so you're out to supper man! :nod:

Its not about being ideal...its about being good enough to compete for a playoff spot.

Perhaps I am one of the few fans that have that as an objective because it sure looks like the overall consensus around here is to just be better than last season. As if that is an accomplishment worth highlighting.

So....set the bar low and we wont be disappointed eh?

Enjoy your superlunch. :popcorn:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
IMO Pitlick has looked pretty damn good but we all know his injury history. Kassian has played a 3rd line role in Vancouver in the past and he could step into that role in theory. On the flip side how do you know that Versteeg was going to prove worthy of the 3RW spot? What if he looks washed up? I'd take a chance on Pulju gaining traction of having a hungry Pitlick and Slepyshev step up or move Maroon to the RW rather than signing a guy that didn't look all that good at camp.

Versteeg may very well have looked washed up. Ditto for Parenteau. But guys like Versteeg and Parenteau are added layers of security. Better to have multiple "maybes" than one "maybe" and a bunch of "probably not."

Yesterday when I was arguing for picking up Parenteau I was talking about mitigating risk. The Oilers very rarely seem to take this into consideration. We're always going into a season where we need basically everything to go right for us to have any chance. Well less than 48 hours later and the Oilers are down one Versteeg and Caggiula isn't ready to start the year. It's not a benefit of hindsight here. It's an obvious lack of foresight by the Oilers organization that things can and will go wrong.

I mean who knows. Maybe Caggiula is going to knock it out of the park, and Puljujarvi is going to learn the game quick and become a solid rookie for us and Chia and McLellan are gonna look like geniuses. That's within the realm of possibility of course. But damn are both of these players a risk. Surely I can't be the only one who is reminded of us going into a season with Arcobello and Draisaitl in our top 9. Doesn't the memory of that disaster leave anyone else questioning the direction the Oilers are going with the roster?

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Versteeg may very well have looked washed up. Ditto for Parenteau. But guys like Versteeg and Parenteau are added layers of security. Better to have multiple "maybes" than one "maybe" and a bunch of "probably not."

Yesterday when I was arguing for picking up Parenteau I was talking about mitigating risk. The Oilers very rarely seem to take this into consideration. We're always going into a season where we need basically everything to go right for us to have any chance.

I mean who knows. Maybe Caggiula is going to knock it out of the park, and Puljujarvi is going to learn the game quick and become a solid rookie for us and Chia and McLellan are gonna look like geniuses. That's within the realm of possibility of course. But damn are both of these players a risk. Surely I can't be the only one who is reminded of us going into a season with Arcobello and Draisaitl in our top 9. Doesn't the memory of that disaster leave anyone else questioning this move by the Oilers.

And having both puts us right up against the 50 contract limit I believe, which leaves zero flexibility throughout the year.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Can't wait for Eberle to be injured. Maybe then these chiaturd fanboys will finally admit that the idiot needs to be fired.

You're a bit of a **** hawk, dude. You swoop in just to drop a massive turd, and then you swoop back out. You don't seem particularly interested in engaging in conversation, or defending the turds you leave behind. I've tried to engage with you a few times and nothing. I get that people have bad days and what not, but a lot of your posts are similar in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad