Rumor: Rumours and Proposals PART6 for 2016/2017-Complaint window 1 is now open

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How could that be true, he has negative trade value.

He's been on the block for over a year. They'll never get anything for him. :sarcasm: would have been nice if they were able to bring in a vet winger along with Russell.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
On Versteeg, we once again see a pattern.

Calgary is constantly bringing in these journeymen, failing, players, who are trying to salvage their careers, and people on this board are constantly yapping about how awesome their management is for doing so.

Mason Raymond, Devin Setoguchi, Joe Colborne, and now Versteeg. I'm sure there's a couple more plugs who were even more insignificant (Blake Comeau).

These guys usually end up on waivers, and are gone fairly quickly. Calgary has a bunch of junk on their roster like Bouma, Bollig, Ferland, etc. So, in their case, Versteeg is likely an upgrade.

Personally, I think Pitlick and Slepyshev outplayed Versteeg in our camp. Especially for a two-way role on the third line. It wasn't close really.
I dunno, Versteeg would have been a fine 3rd line RW. If Calgary wants to play him top 6 then it is understandable why he signed there. He is trying to pump up his value, can't really fault him that. Could have been a good bench/platoon player for us.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Their RW depth is questionable at the moment. Whether you like him or not, it looks like they pulled the trigger on the Yak deal a tad early IMO. Unless he has something in his back pocket or one of the bubble guys steps up, Chiarelli looks unprepared.

It isn't the end of the world, but banking on a 20 year old natural center succeeding in a top six role on the wing just sounds a little hopeful.

If Draisaitl flops there it's 'Oh, I hope Jesse can stick.' Or it's 'Oh, maybe Tyler can step up.' 'Maybe Drake's up for the challenge.' Next thing you know our fourth line winger's in the top six again.

Natural RW depth

Eberle
Puljujarvi
Pitlick
Kassian
Slepyshev (technically a LW)
---------
Russell
Pakarinen
Salinen
Platzer

...not that impressive.

I consider Draisaitl a much better bet at RW than a broken Yakupov, who clearly didn't want to be in the organization anymore. We've talked so much about changing the dressing room atmosphere, and keeping Yakupov in the hope of grabbing a slightly better asset is not worth the risk.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It was funny how everyone thought Versteeg would sign a contract in Edmonton for like 1.5 mil and then he signs for under a mil in Calgary.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Will the Oilers benefit from having Puljujarvi and Cagguila (with their large bonuses) on the roster when Ference is put on LTIR? There is a thread on the business board stating that Columbus benefits to the tune of $2M from keeping up Dubois when Clarkson is put on the LTIR. They will send him back to junior after the cap benefit is realized.

could be.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Who thought $1.5 million?

nobody on the face of the earth except that guy...
now where is that button...

(it appears i already used the button on him and thats why i never noticed that statement until it was quoted. what a great button it is)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I consider Draisaitl a much better bet at RW than a broken Yakupov, who clearly didn't want to be in the organization anymore. We've talked so much about changing the dressing room atmosphere, and keeping Yakupov in the hope of grabbing a slightly better asset is not worth the risk.

What I'm talking about isn't even about the return though. Yak was an NHL RWer. An under-performing one, yes, but an NHLer nonetheless. He offered depth to a position we may no longer have depth for.

I don't think there's any question him assuming he had Versteeg in the bag had a direct influence to moving Yak.

In regards to Draisaitl, we don't really know either way whether it'll work or not. Hall was the one who really stirred that drink last season though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It was funny how everyone thought Versteeg would sign a contract in Edmonton for like 1.5 mil and then he signs for under a mil in Calgary.

Why do people post **** like this when its not even true?

Find me some comments of people saying that because I specifically remember a poster asking how much money people thought he'd get and I answered 1M or less and I also remember other posters answering the same.

But I guess "everyone thought" :rolleyes:

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
What I'm talking about isn't even about the return though. Yak was an NHL RWer. An under-performing one, yes, but an NHLer nonetheless. He offered depth to a position we may no longer have depth for.

I don't think there's any question him assuming he had Versteeg in the bag had a direct influence to moving Yak.

In regards to Draisaitl, we don't really know either way whether it'll work or not. Hall was the one who really stirred that drink last season though.

Yeah but if he's doing squat offensively and is a constant negative defensively, than your better off without his "depth". Addition by subtraction

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This is extremely debatable.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
nobody on the face of the earth except that guy...
now where is that button...

(it appears i already used the button on him and thats why i never noticed that statement until it was quoted. what a great button it is)

Someone said 2 mil in an earlier thread. Lol.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm pretty confident the team just wanted to move on from Yakupov, and the fact his play looked no different this preseason pretty much sealed them just deciding to cut ties and move on. I guess by definition Yakupov is an NHLer because he played in the NHL the last 5 years. But I'm not sure how anyone could actually think that he helps you win. He doesn't pride anywhere near enough offence to make up for what he gives up defensively. I'd rather try someone new in his spot. We already know what we got with Yak.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
To me STL, ANA, SJS aren't locks this year.

I don't even think LA is a lock...Gaborik out 6 weeks, Lucic gone. Sharks...older team that had a late playoff run in the spring, along with a bunch of players already playing in World Cup.....this team could easily crash and burn. Thornton and Marleau are 37, Pavelski 32, Martin 35, Ward 35, Burns 31....lots of miles last season and a short off season

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm pretty confident the team just wanted to move on from Yakupov, and the fact his play looked no different this preseason pretty much sealed them just deciding to cut ties and move on. I guess by definition Yakupov is an NHLer because he played in the NHL the last 5 years. But I'm not sure how anyone could actually think that he helps you win. He doesn't pride anywhere near enough offence to make up for what he gives up defensively. I'd rather try someone new in his spot. We already know what we got with Yak.

I'm completely aware of this opinion. My point is the trade looks more peculiar now considering what we're banking on with our current RW depth.

I'm optimistic but Chiarelli might look under-prepared if something goes wrong like Draisaitl flopping, Puljujarvi not being ready or god forbid someone gets injured.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Ducks have 20 roster players and only 7.545m in cap space....that's with Stoner buried. Can't see them squeezing in Lindholm and Rakell with that amount, especially since Risto got 5.4m from the Sabres. Will be interesting to see what they do.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm completely aware of this opinion. My point is the trade looks more peculiar now considering what we're banking on with our current RW depth.

I'm optimistic but Chiarelli might look under-prepared if something goes wrong like Draisaitl flopping, Puljujarvi not being ready or god forbid someone gets injured.

There's a lot of teams that have worse or just as unproven 3rd lines with nothing better than we do to fill in if someone gets injured. Lets hope for once we don't get the short end of the stick with injuries.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Versteeg was offered a spot on the Flames that the Oilers couldn't match. It's as simple as that. Would you rather play on line 2/3 for the Oilers or line 1/2 for the Flames? Easy choice.

I suppose my point was more so if we decisively sent JP down, Versteeg would've been more inclined to accept our offer.

I see your point, even then its a top 6 versus top 9 question. But we would've had a bit more of an in I would think with the potential that Drai would move back to center at some point.

Either way, we've lost a lot of depth or potential depth on RW in the last week.
It's something that should've been handled with more care, now we're cornered into playing players that could very well be being rushed.

I don't see 4 effective lines anymore, I see more "if's"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad