Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I don’t want dollars tied up to any enigmas (that’s including Yamamoto and Foegele) particularly when these guys could be replaced by hungry UFAs or prospects on ELCs next season

I'm not sure about no dollars. Puljujarvi is better than a league minimum player. There has to be a dollar value that makes keeping Puljujarvi around work.

Yamamoto isn't worth $3.1M and the best hockey move, at this point, would be an off-season buyout. Barring a strong come back the rest of the regular season, minimum five goals the rest of the season as a start, and good playoffs the buyout is worth it.

Foegele you hope for a trade, but probably have to live with him for next season.

Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ryan is one of the few guys that we have playing in the bottom 6 that is actually doing his job, and doing it well. And on a pretty cheap cap hit. Plenty of other candidates to move before we get to him, in my opinion.
Doesnt matter I am saying as a realistic move if we needed to open up more cap it is an option.

Have you also not looked at Bjugstad? He has 8 more points than Ryan this season has an alright FO % (not amazing but not awful). For a 4th line swap out to save 400k of cap this is a very non-offensive trade.

We are up against the wall we should totally be open to that trade IMO.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

This is a joke right?

JP sucks. Enough.

Not really surprised.

I know everyone wants a trade done (including myself) but I've said before that I dont think Holland even knows what his plan is. To be fair to him, the Oilers have been pretty bi-polar all year. They havent played to their capabilities.

They need a higher end dman. The Karlsson trade is very complicated. Arizona seems Pejorative Slured when it comes to Chychrun. Attaining another bottom pairing dman is pointless for this team.

Probably is a bit of posturing on Hollands part.

The team needs a top 6 RW. So not surprised to see Kane mentioned. Seems like Toronto and Rangers have likely moved on from him.

Problem with JP is that hes not worth 3 million. Neither is Yamamoto or Foegele. So maybe if JP is willing to sign for less, maybe it makes sense idk. I think JP (for his sake) just needs to go to a new team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Doesnt matter I am saying as a realistic move if we needed to open up more cap it is an option.

Have you also not looked at Bjugstad? He has 8 more points than Ryan this season has an alright FO % (not amazing but not awful). For a 4th line swap out to save 400k of cap this is a very non-offensive trade.

Or you know you could trade or waive the 3 million dollar anchor that we're paying to get 5 whopping goals from.

You could've dragged Nail Yakupov out of Russia and thrown him onto this roster and probably gotten more than 5 goals out of him for 800k.

This dude would've been axed 100 times over by and competent GM, look at the Leafs, took them only a few months to figure shit wasn't working with Nick Ritchie and to get out of that problem contract. And Nick Ritchie is a way better player than Puljujarvi.

We tolerate so much shit from mediocre players that we sign for way too much money because the management here is laughably soft and stupid. On a normal run contender, this shit wouldn't fly.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Or you know you could trade or waive the 3 million dollar anchor that we're paying to get 5 whopping goals from.

You could've dragged Nail Yakupov out of Russia and thrown him onto this roster and probably gotten more than 5 goals out of him for 800k.
Holy crap - I have literally been saying get rid of 2 of the three guys we are really overpaying at a minimum before this.

Now you are taking issue with a secondary idea proposed after doing that to free up more cap and upgrade our 4c?

I will take the 4c pacing for 34 points over our current 4c pacing for 23 points while saving 350k of cap. Both are off the book after the season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
If Pulju wants to sign an extension in the $1.25 - 1.4M range and come back then that could potentially be alright in my books, but it depends on how you intend to assemble the lines, and it's down the list a little ways in terms of preferred options. He's fine playing with forwards who create chaos in the O zone, but he shouldn't been spending a lot of time with McDavid or Draisaitl where you've gotta be able to make plays and quick reads. I could see a line of Holloway-McLeod-Pulju being successful though.

All that said, Holland needs to sort out the top 6 and add a legit top 6 RW. The internal options are potentially there with Bourgault, Lavoie, and Tullio but they're all likely 2+ years away from being ready for regular top 6 time if things pan out, and they're all question marks right now. Would it be more worthwhile to spend that cap space on addressing a need at forward in the summer, or do you go with what you know because it's easy and familiar given there are some positives to Pulju's game despite his obvious shortcomings?

If you just think ahead to the summer and clear out all of Yamo, Pulju, Foegele and Janmark that frees up $10.1M, then bring back McLeod and Kostin at a combined $4M AAV, Bouchard bridged at $2.8M, Ryan at the current $1.25M AAV and add Lavoie as RW in the bottom six at $850k. With a salary cap of $84.5M that leaves you with $7.0M in cap space to fill in a top 6 RW and another winger, and add 13th and 14th forwards. If you're adding Karlsson/making D trades that's a whole other kettle of fish, so let's not for sake of ease in this scenario and look at what's missing from that roster:

Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Nuge - Draisaitl - _______
Holloway - McLeod - Kostin
_______ - Ryan - Lavoie
_______ - _______

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Broberg - Bouchard
- Kesselring

Clearly the mix on D has to change and regardless of how you arrange the deck chairs at forward you need a better fit at RW in the top 6 than the existing options have provided this year. Jesse could fit in the bottom 6 but you should definitely be looking at other options first.

Best option for Pulju is to extend him at half his current cap hit on a 1 year show-me deal so that he can be traded and build his value back up in a new market with less pressure and expectation. Maybe the Oilers can get a mid round pick back that way too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holy crap - I have literally been saying get rid of 2 of the three guys we are really overpaying at a minimum before this.

Now you are taking issue with a secondary idea proposed after doing that to free up more cap and upgrade our 4c?

I will take the 4c pacing for 34 points over our current 4c pacing for 23 points while saving 350k of cap. Both are off the book after the season.
He locks on a point and won’t let it go and completely changes subject without telling you.

Reactions: Macblender

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Disagree, it does matter. 8 more points and a savings of 400 k is not going to save the day. It simply doesn't move the needle in any meaningful way, and upsets some chemistry in the room. I think Ryan is very well liked and respected and is a valuable piece in his own way. Pretty much a sideways move (at best), just so you can say you made a move.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Bjugstad plays top 6 minutes in Arizona, plays 4 more minutes a game 5v5 a game and only has 6 more 5v5 points.
I think it would be a bad move cause Ryan’s been good and we should be getting Bjugstad in addition to Ryan, not a very minor upgrade.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Disagree, it does matter. 8 more points and a savings of 400 k is not going to save the day. It simply doesn't move the needle in any meaningful way, and upsets some chemistry in the room. I think Ryan is very well liked and respected and is a valuable piece in his own way. Pretty much a sideways move (at best), just so you can say you made a move.
Meh it is over 10 points difference or 50% more production which is not just a marginal increase.

The cap savings may or may not make a difference depends what we are trying to add.

For instance if on the very very low chance we do land Karlsson but SJ will only retain a percentage that we would need to make an additional move this could be a good option.

My point is purely this is an upgrade (not a sideways move) and could help with that little bit more cap we can get to help facilitate a deal or ice the full roster (of course after we move off of JP, KY, Foegele ideally).

Bjugstad plays top 6 minutes in Arizona, plays 4 more games 5v5 a game and only has 6 more 5v5 points.
I think it would be a bad move cause Ryan’s been good and we should be getting Bjugstad in addition to Ryan, not a very minor upgrade.
Fair enough - to me for a 4th line slot I am happy enough with the swap if we needed more room.

But like it is the 4th line if we have a player capable of playing 10 minutes a night of solid hockey there I am A-OK.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Not really surprised.

I know everyone wants a trade done (including myself) but I've said before that I dont think Holland even knows what his plan is. To be fair to him, the Oilers have been pretty bi-polar all year. They havent played to their capabilities.

They need a higher end dman. The Karlsson trade is very complicated. Arizona seems Pejorative Slured when it comes to Chychrun. Attaining another bottom pairing dman is pointless for this team.

Probably is a bit of posturing on Hollands part.

The team needs a top 6 RW. So not surprised to see Kane mentioned. Seems like Toronto and Rangers have likely moved on from him.

Problem with JP is that hes not worth 3 million. Neither is Yamamoto or Foegele. So maybe if JP is willing to sign for less, maybe it makes sense idk. I think JP (for his sake) just needs to go to a new team.

Ultimately the trade deadline isn’t over. Holland will add but we’ll have to wait and see what he adds.

A deal like Toronto made wouldn’t work in Karlsson’s case because he has several years remaining.

I don’t think SJ will have more suitors for Karlsson in the summer. The main reason we’re entertaining the idea is because our window is now and apparently the big guys want a puck mover.

I’m not sure why the sky is falling for some people just because of Toronto’s deal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Meh it is over 10 points difference or 50% more production which is not just a marginal increase.

The cap savings may or may not make a difference depends what we are trying to add.

For instance if on the very very low chance we do land Karlsson but SJ will only retain a percentage that we would need to make an additional move this could be a good option.

My point is purely this is an upgrade (not a sideways move) and could help with that little bit more cap we can get to help facilitate a deal or ice the full roster (of course after we move off of JP, KY, Foegele ideally).

Fair enough - to me for a 4th line slot I am happy enough with the swap if we needed more room.

But like it is the 4th line if we have a player capable of playing 10 minutes a night of solid hockey there I am A-OK.
I’d rather move out Foegele for Bjugstad because that’s a sideways move that ACTUALLY saves cap.

Foegele for Bjugstad
Yamamoto pick for Barbashev retained save what 3+ mill

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
IMO SJ will have no problem finding suitors on Karlsson with retention this summer. But their best price by far will come from Edmonton. They probably also know that Edmonton will look at another player with term before this deadline (Chychrun, Paryako, Provorov) and landing any one of those players makes a Karlsson deal impossible for them.

Since Karlsson is way better for the Oil than any of those players, I feel both teams should be motivated to get this done before the deadline.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I’d rather move out Foegele for Bjugstad because that’s a sideways move that ACTUALLY saves cap.
100% I just dont think they do that and Foegele and Yams are easier to get out of the contracts next deadline as they have that second year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ultimately the trade deadline isn’t over. Holland will add but we’ll have to wait and see what he adds.

A deal like Toronto made wouldn’t work in Karlsson’s case because he has several years remaining.

I don’t think SJ will have more suitors for Karlsson in the summer. The main reason we’re entertaining the idea is because our window is now and apparently the big guys want a puck mover.

I’m not sure why the sky is falling for some people just because of Toronto’s deal.

It's not falling, but make no mistake, McDavid is now aware that Toronto is going "all in" ... he is most certainly going to be watching what his management group gives him to work with and taking note of that.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I think people are getting bothered by the Toronto deal because it seems like it’s going to be like every other year. The Oilers sit around while all the players that actually move the needle fall of the board.

Then we end up trading a 2nd for Luke Schenn.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Holland should make a move early like Toronto did, give a few games for the new players to work in and see if that’s enough or if you still need more. The longer you wait the more likely it is you make a move and then you still need something and have no way to correct.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Link to Johnson's podcast:

- Have to think a cheap Puljujarvi extension helps his trade value. But worse case scenario of Oil retaining a cheap plus sized bottom six player isn't all that bad imo.

- Looking in on Kane who's doors are closing makes sense. Oil right wing is a graveyard though defense is the prime directive need (on a team with several to get to elite status).

- History making retention deal with complexity takes time and due diligence. Makes sense it is quiet with only one team actively pitching. San Jose have to determine what their absolute cutoff is with retention and whether there could be a better market this summer (doubt it).

Why does Puljujarvi sign an extension when he is about to become an unqualified UFA?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
100% I just dont think they do that and Foegele and Yams are easier to get out of the contracts next deadline as they have that second year.
You are moving them to a rebuilding team that’s going to need players and cap to fill the roster.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Sky was falling before Toronto's deal.

People are just frustrated. Hard to blame people.

Holland will no doubt do something. We wait.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Yeah, @Stoneman89 post in the injury thread, they were saying he’s been bedridden from the flu. Crazy
Ooof that’s rough :(

Sky was falling before Toronto's deal.

People are just frustrated. Hard to blame people.

Holland will no doubt do something. We wait.
Lafferty here we come!!

To be fair I’d be fine with Lafferty. Just ultimately does not push the needle for us

I think people are getting bothered by the Toronto deal because it seems like it’s going to be like every other year. The Oilers sit around while all the players that actually move the needle fall of the board.

Then we end up trading a 2nd for Luke Schenn.
I certainly hope we don’t use a 2nd on schenn. Oof

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why does Puljujarvi sign an extension when he is about to become an unqualified UFA?
Pretty sure he is RFA after this season. It's cost certainty for a team willing to swing on a reclamation project of top 4 pedigree. Who knows if Puljujarvi & agent aren't engaged in discussion about plan and any prospective future landing spot(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad