Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oilers won’t be qualifying him so most likely becomes a UFA
Agree. But he's still RFA until his contract is ended. There's enough raw potential and high draft pedigree for this player to intrigue a second chance organization. But it needs to be with the dollar value sufficient for a risk reward scenario. Get the guy on 3rd-4th line pricing and 'bet' your organization can unlock more potential that a somewhat chaotic Oilers organization (under Chiarelli) could not.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ultimately the trade deadline isn’t over. Holland will add but we’ll have to wait and see what he adds.

A deal like Toronto made wouldn’t work in Karlsson’s case because he has several years remaining.

I don’t think SJ will have more suitors for Karlsson in the summer. The main reason we’re entertaining the idea is because our window is now and apparently the big guys want a puck mover.

I’m not sure why the sky is falling for some people just because of Toronto’s deal.
Yeah the O'Reilly deal has no bearing on the Oilers situation unless both teams meet in the Cup final or unless him or Acciari (sp?) injure an Oiler in one of the upcoming games in March.

I've wondered if sending Holloway and VD down was a way of Holland calling Grier's bluff and making him sweat a little. If the Oilers can stay healthy and win games between now and the deadline and Holland just ghosts Grier leading up to the deadline (which it sounds lile may already be happening) maybe Grier calls back at the deadline and gives in to what the Oilers are willing to offer.

From the ownership side of things though, SJ isn't Edmonton and they need a certain level of entertainment to get butts in the seats. Karlsson can provide that even on a losing team so it wouldn't be surprising if SJ ownership is firm on what they're willing to accept in trade as a result of that, and that might have a bearing on the return in trade, and then if you add in retention that's a further factor why SJ might hold to their guns.

Either way it'll be interesting to see what happens but at this point I wouldn't expect a Karlsson trade until closer to the deadline, and more likely in the summer.

FFS though Holland better not make another dumb Athanasiou trade this year just because there's some pressure to win. Either make a trade that actually moves the needle or don't. Top 4 D, top 6 RW, shutdown 3C/W, or don't bother.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Probably here.

Post in thread 'Around the League | '22-'23 II'
GDT: - Around the League | '22-'23 II
giphy.webp

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah the O'Reilly deal has no bearing on the Oilers situation unless both teams meet in the Cup final or unless him or Acciari (sp?) injure an Oiler in one of the upcoming games in March.

I've wondered if sending Holloway and VD down was a way of Holland calling Grier's bluff and making him sweat a little. If the Oilers can stay healthy and win games between now and the deadline and Holland just ghosts Grier leading up to the deadline (which it sounds lile may already be happening) maybe Grier calls back at the deadline and gives in to what the Oilers are willing to offer.

From the ownership side of things though, SJ isn't Edmonton and they need a certain level of entertainment to get butts in the seats. Karlsson can provide that even on a losing team so it wouldn't be surprising if SJ ownership is firm on what they're willing to accept in trade as a result of that, and that might have a bearing on the return in trade, and then if you add in retention that's a further factor why SJ might hold to their guns.

Either way it'll be interesting to see what happens but at this point I wouldn't expect a Karlsson trade until closer to the deadline, and more likely in the summer.

FFS though Holland better not make another dumb Athanasiou trade this year just because there's some pressure to win. Either make a trade that actually moves the needle or don't. Top 4 D, top 6 RW, shutdown 3C/W, or don't bother.
Holland actually thought the Anastasia and Mike Green trades would solidify the team and move the needle then though. Even though AA was the undisputed Green Jacket champ and Green had been an aging band-aid for years. Hard to say what his judgement will like be now,

Reactions: Biltmore

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Gudas left the Panther’s game today after blocking a shot with his hand. If it’s determined he’s out until playoffs the Oilers could have a creative solution to make a 3m forward’s cap hit disappear. I’m guessing the Panther’s may be sellers by the deadline.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I do get the feeling that JP actually likes the city, fans etc. His agent seems like a manipulative moron but that’s not uncommon to the trade. Likely has a decent relationship with Holland since he got him back over here despite issues with previous management.

JP is maybe less enamoured with some aspects of the team (rumours) but it’s possible that the lack of interest shown by other teams and his lack of consistency has made him re-evaluate “grabbing the bag” (and finding it empty…). I wouldn’t be shocked if he re-signs for less like DeBrusk did and potentially stays with the team if things work out. And if not, he has a palatable contract for a trade.

Can the Oilers retain on this year only if he’s signed to an extension?
Agree that Puljujarvi has embraced Edmonton and life there. But the overriding reality is his career has slipped with this team's coach showing increasing lack of confidence in him. His ice time hovers among team low and is getting healthy scratched.

Personally, I think that 95% likelihood of any alleged extension talk is to help facilitate a fresh start do-over with cost certainty for acquiring team and for the player. Not sure Puljujarvi has reached that point in accepting his game is limited to 4th or 3rd line duties.

Anywho, small, interesting tidbit alleged by Chris Johnson. The Oilers actions to avoid waiving Puljujarvi suggest something's going on with this player. St. Louis is one team alleged to have past interest and now has some bonus picks to play with and roster space. The dink that picked him also happens to be there.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Holland actually thought the Anastasia and Mike Green trades would solidify the team and move the needle then though. Even though AA was the undisputed Green Jacket champ and Green had been an aging band-aid for years. Hard to say what his judgement will like be now,
Green would have been good if no Covid. He refused to play and then retired.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Green would have been good if no Covid. He refused to play and then retired.
He got hurt in his first game here (huge surprise), and when he finally recovered, the Covid refusal happened. Likely would have got hurt again regardless of the Covid situation.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Agree that Puljujarvi has embraced Edmonton and life there. But the overriding reality is his career has slipped with this team's coach showing increasing lack of confidence in him. His ice time hovers among team low and is getting healthy scratched.

Personally, I think that 95% likelihood of any alleged extension talk is to help facilitate a fresh start do-over with cost certainty for acquiring team and for the player. Not sure Puljujarvi has reached that point in accepting his game is limited to 4th or 3rd line duties.

Anywho, small, interesting tidbit alleged by Chris Johnson. The Oilers actions to avoid waiving Puljujarvi suggest something's going on with this player. St. Louis is one team alleged to have past interest and now has some bonus picks to play with and roster space. The dink that picked him also happens to be there.

I’m hoping it’s for a sign and trade, and think it could be likely that is the case. They can’t afford to keep his $3M cap hit this season if they are looking to contend.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Athanasiou straight up gor a raw deal. Was a ~23 goal scorer for the 3 seasons before Edmonton, and has been a ~22 goal (pace) scorer on the 3 seasons since Edmonton.

Was given literally 9 games playing with different linemates every night with covid happening in the middle of it. We'll never know how he could have fit into the roster because he was never really given a chance and because of his acquisition cost everyone still berates this trade even today.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Bertuzzi would be an amazing add. Not sure if he is capable of crossing borders at the moment though. That kind of player is amazing to have. Poor mans Tkachuk, but still real good.

Bring him in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Another left shot left wing having a rough season stats and injury wise. $4.75 a year right now. Definitely feels like another Athanasiou
He's not anywhere like AA as a player. Guy can play both wings and if healthy is an absolute handful as we just watched as the Wings beat Edmonton. Fit is very good. Salary is not as I alluded to.

EDIT: Should add I think salary and acquisition cost is likely prohibitive.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bertuzzi would be an amazing add. Not sure if he is capable of crossing borders at the moment though. That kind of player is amazing to have. Poor mans Tkachuk, but still real good.

Bring him in.

Watch the Oilers trade for him and then new COVID rules going into effect preventing him from playing, lol.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I’m hoping it’s for a sign and trade, and think it could be likely that is the case. They can’t afford to keep his $3M cap hit this season if they are looking to contend.

I doubt an extension happens just because I'm pretty sure you can't sign someone to an extension lower than their current AAV.

I don't think anyone wants him at $3M past this season.

edit: Nvm. Finally found someone with a cheaper extension(Valimaki), so maybe it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad