Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2013
I do get the feeling that JP actually likes the city, fans etc. His agent seems like a manipulative moron but that’s not uncommon to the trade. Likely has a decent relationship with Holland since he got him back over here despite issues with previous management.

JP is maybe less enamoured with some aspects of the team (rumours) but it’s possible that the lack of interest shown by other teams and his lack of consistency has made him re-evaluate “grabbing the bag” (and finding it empty…). I wouldn’t be shocked if he re-signs for less like DeBrusk did and potentially stays with the team if things work out. And if not, he has a palatable contract for a trade.

Can the Oilers retain on this year only if he’s signed to an extension?
They resign Puljujarvi and ... well, I don't know. I'll be shaking my head and cursing management. What an absolutely asinine and frustrating move it would be. Put the guy on waivers and move on from the scarecrow.

I can see it now, Oilers deadline move - resign Puljujarvi, try and sell the fanbase on E. Kane being a deadline acquisition, and write another year off as "hands were tied by the cap."

Reactions: Echodek

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Athanasiou straight up gor a raw deal. Was a ~23 goal scorer for the 3 seasons before Edmonton, and has been a ~22 goal (pace) scorer on the 3 seasons since Edmonton.

Was given literally 9 games playing with different linemates every night with covid happening in the middle of it. We'll never know how he could have fit into the roster because he was never really given a chance and because of his acquisition cost everyone still berates this trade even today.
His raw deal was choosing to walk on the Oilers offer at less money for believed beaucoup money as UFA. That decision cost him money and job certainty with time spend in LA and now lottery rebuild Chicago.

Holland bet on his knowledge and familiarity with the player to add into a threadbare forward group. AA clearly didn't choose to return the love. But I think it's reported the player always drove a hard negotiation. T

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Watch the Oilers trade for him and then new COVID rules going into effect preventing him from playing, lol.
I am told that there is a bill in Congress that basically will make his ability to go back and forth as an unvaccinated Canadian employee for a Canadian firm (non US work visa like he currently is on) in and out of the US a non issue. That’s good news for CDN teams if so.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
As fun as Patrick Kane would be, I don't know how anyone watches those last 2 games and thinks "this team coukd use even more offense. Maybe someone who isn't great defensively!"

A high end dman with term, preferably Karlsson, has to remain the focus here
Karlsson is underwhelming defensively and tries a lot of risky moves to create his offense, he just produces enough offense to outpace the defensive issues. Karlsson careers even strength GA per 60 is 3.4 which is very high (4.1 GF/60 and 3.9 GA/60 this season).

If we want to cut our Goals Against down I think Ekholm might be our best option.

If we want somewhere in between I think Weegar might be our best option, not a likely CGY EDM trade, but Sutter doesn't want him and FLA didn't think he was cut out for playoff hockey, they might see it as dropping a turd in our lap. Weegar has always had a positive even strength GF% in the playoffs, but in his last 2 playoffs he got wrecked on the PK.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ken Holland is failing this team horribly. I would argue Desharnais + Holloway are not only significantly cheaper than needing Yamo + Pulju in the lineup, but they are both more impactful. Especially Desharnais.

This is an abject failure any way you look at it. Highest paid GM in the entire league is sewering our season while we're on the brink of being out of a playoff spot. Hello?
Sewering the season? They're 9-1-4 in their last 14 games and are 6 points (7 with the tiebreaker) clear of 9th place. Yes they've hit a bit of a rough patch recently and the dithering on the Puljujarvi situation is a little annoying but lets calm the hysterics.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Karlsson is underwhelming defensively and tries a lot of risky moves to create his offense, he just produces enough offense to outpace the defensive issues. Karlsson careers even strength GA per 60 is 3.4 which is very high (4.1 GF/60 and 3.9 GA/60 this season).

If we want to cut our Goals Against down I think Ekholm might be our best option.

If we want somewhere in between I think Weegar might be our best option, not a likely CGY EDM trade, but Sutter doesn't want him and FLA didn't think he was cut out for playoff hockey, they might see it as dropping a turd in our lap. Weegar has always had a positive even strength GF% in the playoffs, but in his last 2 playoffs he got wrecked on the PK.
Ekholm really is the perfect fit for the Oilers D. We have picks to trade and the draft is in Nashville this year.

1. Would they take Barrie and one of Puljujarvi/Yams/Foegele?

2. Can the Oilers move Barrie without a PP D coming back?

3. Could Bouchard plus 2 of Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Foegele also be an option? What would it take to also get a cheap forward back in a deal like that? I’m thinking specifically about Jeannot or Trenin.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Ekholm really is the perfect fit for the Oilers D. We have picks to trade and the draft is in Nashville this year.

1. Would they take Barrie and one of Puljujarvi/Yams/Foegele?

2. Can the Oilers move Barrie without a PP D coming back?

3. Could Bouchard plus 2 of Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Foegele also be an option? What would it take to also get a cheap forward back in a deal like that? I’m thinking specifically about Jeannot or Trenin.
I don't have an answer to your questions, but Poile is supposed to be making his decision on whether or not they sell based on a 3 game set apparently and they have so far lost convincingly to the Bruins, won convincingly against the Panthers, and have a critical game tomorrow against the Wild.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sewering the season? They're 9-1-4 in their last 14 games and are 6 points (7 with the tiebreaker) clear of 9th place. Yes they've hit a bit of a rough patch recently and the dithering on the Puljujarvi situation is a little annoying but lets calm the hysterics.
You’ll be better off when you realize that he’s just trying to goad people into arguments for the sake of an argument. In the last 24 hours it’s been Holland, Campbell, Nurse, Janmark and Yamamoto who are no gud. By Monday morning it will be McDavid, Hyman, TD Forss, the guy parking the players cars and Sharon in accounting.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
Why does this site not work properly, drives me nuts!

Side note, I'd just like to see a shred of creativity with our cap situation. Nearly every team that is in a similar situation finds ways to be creative. Meanwhile Ken is wasting these years with a "money in, money out" situation.

Reactions: Sanchez and Echodek

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
He got hurt in his first game here (huge surprise), and when he finally recovered, the Covid refusal happened. Likely would have got hurt again regardless of the Covid situation.
Just as likely he would have helped us beat Chicago.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I doubt an extension happens just because I'm pretty sure you can't sign someone to an extension lower than their current AAV.

I don't think anyone wants him at $3M past this season.

edit: Nvm. Finally found someone with a cheaper extension(Valimaki), so maybe it is possible.
In fact, if JP really wanted out his best option would be with an extension in hand at a salary that made him attractive. Signed for 2 years at $1.5M for example would open up a lot of teams as an option.

Reactions: TB12

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I don't have an answer to your questions, but Poile is supposed to be making his decision on whether or not they sell based on a 3 game set apparently and they have so far lost convincingly to the Bruins, won convincingly against the Panthers, and have a critical game tomorrow against the Wild.
f*** are NHL gm's pathetic. You have all year to assess your team, not to mention the entire existence of your franchise in Poile's case. Why base anything off a 3 game sample???

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Why does this site not work properly, drives me nuts!

Side note, I'd just like to see a shred of creativity with our cap situation. Nearly every team that is in a similar situation finds ways to be creative. Meanwhile Ken is wasting these years with a "money in, money out" situation.

There are two more weeks until the TDL.

Reactions: McDoused

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
There are two more weeks until the TDL.
In fairness this is always the excuse no matter the time of year. The season hasn't started relax, we're only 10 games in relax, the deadline is in 2 weeks relax. Kenny Money seems to wait, and wait some more til the point of the back-up options being gone, the ability to be creative is also gone. And we are scraping the bottom of the barrel again. I think the league has truly passed him by.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
At this rate, I think I’d prefer we do nothing. We are still not good enough to be a true contender from what I’ve seen. We throw games away, wait 1/2 the game to show up, I think our best move is to keep our picks and just see where the chips fall. I’m also afraid of what Holland is going to deem an upgrade worth coughing up a 1st for.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't have a problem if the Oilers re-sign Puljujarvi at 1.5M. That's what he should be making right now. The same with Yamamoto. Yamamoto probably should make a little less than Puljujarvi.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
In fairness this is always the excuse no matter the time of year. The season hasn't started relax, we're only 10 games in relax, the deadline is in 2 weeks relax. Kenny Money seems to wait, and wait some more til the point of the back-up options being gone, the ability to be creative is also gone. And we are scraping the bottom of the barrel again. I think the league has truly passed him by.

Well, the same “excuses” are made for pretty much every GM in the league. The Oilers were fairly active in the off-season with regards to UFAs. Pretty much 0 trades of substance by any teams 10 games in.

How are they scraping the bottom of the barrel again? Seems like you’re just bitching to bitch, but whatever.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Well, the same “excuses” are made for pretty much every GM in the league. The Oilers were fairly active in the off-season with regards to UFAs. Pretty much 0 trades of substance by any teams 10 games in.

How are they scraping the bottom of the barrel again? Seems like you’re just bitching to bitch, but whatever.
Oilers have a window and should be going for it now. Most other clubs don't have players equivalent to McDavid and Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad