Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Would you say no to 1.5M, 1.75M?

I don't know that we get a young player that still has upside for 1M. Not confident either that we get anything better in replacement for the kind of price. Jesse's production problems this season put him on firesale to the club which isn't the worst thing. Chances are he'll bang a dozen or more goals even next season. While playing bottomsix. We could do a lot worse.
No to 1.75 I would do 1.5. He doesn’t produce enough and in an ideal world he is a 3rd liner who may slip to the 4th line.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Chris Johnston just reported that the Oilers have discussed the possibility of extending Puljujarvi at a low cap hit. He is not sure if these discussion led anywhere. Also, the Oilers have expressed interest in P. Kane.
I don't know why JP would want to stay here but I'd be all for a 2-3 year extension for around 1.75 per season. He might not be scoring now but he can play on any line and not hurt it plus there's still potential with him.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Chris Johnston just reported that the Oilers have discussed the possibility of extending Puljujarvi at a low cap hit. He is not sure if these discussion led anywhere. Also, the Oilers have expressed interest in P. Kane.

Please don't, we are literally 2 months away from being off the hook forever. Why extend him, no guarantees teams will take him. If they back out we will be stuck with him for another few.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Okay but how does that make us on the brink of losing our spot. For us to fall out Calgary needs to win 4 games in a row and we have to lose 4. For us to get in to the top 3, we have to win 1 and Seattle had to lose one.

I predict Yamamoto is kept and Pulju is traded with a 3rd for a 4th

Ideally both Yam and Pulju goes. I think we have seen enough of both to know what they can bring. The 6 million can be better spent.

Kostin, Ryan, Janmark combined cost less either one of those guys.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
He is a 3rd liner for certain who I prefer on the 4th line with the RNH Janmark Kostin line.

If cheap enough there is value if we are only expecting him to play 10-12 minutes a night. We just cant staple him to a top 6 role which he isnt suited to.

THe unfortunate reality is all of KY, JP, and Foegele are best suited toa 4th line role and our RW depth is dog shit. Please grab Kane for a 3 month joy ride if he is cheap enough so I dont have to see any of those players in the top 6 ever again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People who think extending Puljujarvi don't understand what they are talking about cap wise.

Not trading him now will cripple the Oilers at the trade deadline because we have little flexibility as is (we can't even f***ing ice a full roster right now).

It's only like McDavid's 8th year where he's having a career season, lets sabotage it so we can sign a 4th line player with 5 goals for a few bucks cheaper ... like lol ... on what f***ing planet does that even make sense?

If he wants to sign here for 800k ... he come crawling back on UFA day 1 and we'll see then, trade deadline this year? Get your overpaid 3 million ass off this roster we need that money to spend on a real player or two.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
People who think extending Puljujarvi don't understand what they are talking about cap wise.

Not trading him now will cripple the Oilers at the trade deadline because we have little flexibility as is (we can't even f***ing ice a full roster right now).

It's only like McDavid's 8th year where he's having a career season, lets sabotage it so we can sign a 4th line player with 5 goals for a few bucks cheaper ... like lol ... on what f***ing planet does that even make sense?
I agree but we could also move KY or Foegele.

Depends on the move we make. For a Karlsson we are moving Barrie + KY/Foegele/JP for the cap.

We would need to trade a second one of them to get the full roster. And we could trade the third to add better depth.

Another move we could make is Ryan for Bjugstad for some cap savings.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Exactly, 1.5 would be completely fair, and most people would be fine with the player. Its the same with Nurse. If Nurse was $7 million, most wouldn't complain too much.
Do you think he'd settle for 1.5 mill? And coming back to this team again? I think there is too much water under the bridge and a lot of that water is now tainted. Just better for everyone involved if both parties move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree but we could also move KY or Foegele.

Depends on the move we make. For a Karlsson we are moving Barrie + KY/Foegele/JP for the cap.

We would need to trade a second one of them to get the full roster. And we could trade the third to add better depth.

Another move we could make is Ryan for Bjugstad for some cap savings.

Why would I want to trade Ryan? He's been better than both Yamobust and Puljunogoals this year, he's clearly taken the top 6 spot both of these bozos were supposed to get.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I like how we've gone from discussing about trading for Karlsson to now talking about extending JP....
No kidding. We go from potentially trading for Karlsson to now considering resign Pulju to 1.5 as our big win

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Why would I want to trade Ryan? He's been better than both Yamobust and Puljunogoals this year, he's clearly taken the top 6 spot both of these bozos were supposed to get.
You are hearing me wrong I believe.

I am saying I dont care who we trade out of KY/JP/Foegele as they should all be on our fourth line and 2 of them have crap deals for next year as well. It isnt JP or bust it is trade 1 of the 3 for the full roster and the other to help with a more significant add. Keep 1 or none.

If we needed further cap space we could swap Ryan + for Bjugstad to open another like 400k of cap space and still have a RH center.

Edit: I am saying nothing about who we really add with those moves as I would personally love a 3 month ride of Patty Kane as the RW in our top 6.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I am saying I dont care who we trade out of KY/JP/Foegele as they should all be on our fourth line and 2 of them have crap deals for next year as well. It isnt JP or bust it is trade 1 of the 3 for the full roster and the other to help with a more significant add. Keep 1 or none.

If we needed further cap space we could swap Ryan + for Bjugstad to open another like 400k of cap space and still have a RH center.

Edit: I am saying nothing about who we really add with those moves as I would personally love a 3 month ride of Patty Kane as the RW in our top 6.

You trade Puljujarvi even if you can get like Karlsson somehow without including him. Get someone who can actually function in that role like a Max Domi. Puljujarvi is the new Lucic here, he cannot be played in our top 6 ... we've tried it 8000 times.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Would you say no to 1.5M, 1.75M?

I don't know that we get a young player that still has upside for 1M. Not confident either that we get anything better in replacement for the kind of price. Jesse's production problems this season put him on firesale to the club which isn't the worst thing. Chances are he'll bang a dozen or more goals even next season. While playing bottomsix. We could do a lot worse.

I would, because I don’t think they can even afford that if they go out and get a difference maker d-man with term.

JP is as likely to break out as he is to bust back to the Euro leagues at this point. I don’t want dollars tied up to any enigmas (that’s including Yamamoto and Foegele) particularly when these guys could be replaced by hungry UFAs or prospects on ELCs next season

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Please don't, we are literally 2 months away from being off the hook forever. Why extend him, no guarantees teams will take him. If they back out we will be stuck with him for another few.
if Jesse signs at like 1.25 or 1.50 and gives up his notion that he is a top one player then good. He can help the team on the 3rd or 4th line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland is on the hot seat to have to add now.

The optics alone of like the Leafs loading up and going all in, LA probably adding Chychrun, and the Oilers sitting on their ass again at the trade deadline content to thumb their ass with a 1st round pick they'll be keeping and selecting some turd of a player with 3 months later isn't going to fly.

Not with this team being in the Conference Final last year, not with the seasons McDavid and RNH and Hyman are having this year.

If you're not going to make a big move at this point but a Toronto can, f*** right off with that Holland.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Ryan is one of the few guys that we have playing in the bottom 6 that is actually doing his job, and doing it well. And on a pretty cheap cap hit. Plenty of other candidates to move before we get to him, in my opinion.

Reactions: TB12

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
I'm pretty sure they are putting together a sign and trade, because getting rid of Yamamoto or Foegele would cost too much, and one of those three simply needs to go because of severe cap problems.

On the other hand I'd be more than delighted to see the reactions of certain HF posters if Pulju ends up extended and plays next seasons in Edmonton :naughty:

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Link to Johnson's podcast:

- Have to think a cheap Puljujarvi extension helps his trade value. But worse case scenario of Oil retaining a cheap plus sized bottom six player isn't all that bad imo.

- Looking in on Kane who's doors are closing makes sense. Oil right wing is a graveyard though defense is the prime directive need (on a team with several to get to elite status).

- History making retention deal with complexity takes time and due diligence. Makes sense it is quiet with only one team actively pitching. San Jose have to determine what their absolute cutoff is with retention and whether there could be a better market this summer (doubt it).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like how we've gone from discussing about trading for Karlsson to now talking about extending JP....
True, but what we do with JP sounds like it might have a direct impact on any move with Karlsson, as there would be a lot of moving parts.

I'm pretty sure they are putting together a sign and trade, but would be delighted to see the reactions of certain HF posters if Pulju ends up extended and plays next seasons in Edmonton :naughty:
I can think of one that would probably wet his pants.;)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Coach doesn't want to play JP more than 8 minutes a night, but they're thinking of resigning him? Is Holland too busy watching re-runs of Golden Girls to see what's happening in games or something?

I sincerely doubt a player that throws a tantrum every offseason after his in-season icetime gets cut or the team changes coaches is willing to resign after pining for other markets for so many years now either.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You trade Puljujarvi even if you can get like Karlsson somehow without including him. Get someone who can actually function in that role like a Max Domi. Puljujarvi is the new Lucic here, he cannot be played in our top 6 ... we've tried it 8000 times.
Again if you move 2/3 and JP is the last man standing he is on our 4th line playing below Hyman, Klim, and a new addition (Kane in a dream world but likely someone who is a 2nd line type).

2 of the three have shit contracts next year so I prefer moving those ones first and then walking away from JP if we cant trade him or we cannot sign him for less. Part of this report I am guessing is that teams that are interested in JP are scared of his $3MM QO so if we can extend him cheap he is easier to trade by a large margin.

In no way am I arguing we should be playing a single one of these players in the top 6 JP included they are all bottom 6 players who are overpaid. Get rid of them ideally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad