Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Partially because most the insiders are on holidays. Partially because Jackson is new to the job and really hasn't formed a connection with anyone in the media that would leak rumors. And partially because at the end of the day it really isn't a big trade.

Although with Bourgault the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Chaulk barely ever said anything good about the guy and when he did it sounded forced. Between the eye tests coming directly from Chaulk, basic stats that we as fans can pull from Hockeydb and then the advanced stats Jackson uses it seems the whole picture was pointed in one direction and Jackson made the move once he found a partner

Much of what JJ has done in the past month has all been pretty quiet until it actually hits the news as well.

Except for Arvidsson. I think we all knew it was a possibility while the Oilers were still playing.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A guy that was so bad in the ECHL that they tried to send him back to the WHL mid season.
Very poor development handling by the organization. A major shoulder injury cut a big chunk of important growth and development time stunted further by covid times. Chiasson should have been sent back for another junior season against peer competition.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Very poor development handling by the organization. A major shoulder injury cut a big chunk of important growth and development time stunted further by covid times. Chiasson should have been sent back for another junior season against peer competition.
You have to convince a team to use an overage slot on an underwhelming junior player for that.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Except for Arvidsson. I think we all knew it was a possibility while the Oilers were still playing.

There were random whispers of Arvidsson for a while. At the time it seemed like nobody's connecting dots that were not connected. Just because Arvidsson and Ekholm are friends doesnt mean hes gonna play here, Im sure he has lots of friends who dont play here.

Well, those whispers turned out to be right. Should go back and try to see where it started from. Feel like his name was dropped almost a year ago.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You have to convince a team to use an overage slot on an underwhelming junior player for that.
Chiasson was a big deadline acquisition by Saskatoon. Decent production and solid playoff on a developing playoff team which rolled to a 7 game WHL Conference Final this year. Think he would have fit their plan on roster or as another trade chip in a go-for season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chiasson was a big deadline acquisition by Saskatoon. Decent production and solid playoff on a developing playoff team which rolled to a 7 game WHL Conference Final this year. Think he would have fit their plan on roster or as another trade chip in a go-for season.
They already two better overagers in Wong and Armstrong.

A bad team might have taken him, but usually bad teams aren't interested in icing overagers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They already two better overagers in Wong and Armstrong.

A bad team might have taken him, but usually bad teams aren't interested in icing overagers.
Blades had to trade for Armstrong because Chiasson didn't return per release after he 'accepted assignment in the East Coast Hockey League.' Blades Make Pair of Significant Trades on the Way to Edmonton

Blades gave up beaucoup draft assets to acquire Chiasson looking at spreading the investment over two playoff runs. Defaulted to Armstrong when the Oilers placed Chiasson weirdly in the ECHL.

EDIT: Just to add how different Chiasson might be perceived instead of floundering at minor pro competition a kid with 113 WHL games over his last three junior seasons (injury and covid reduced) had gone back to a strong junior team that pushed to top of WHL standings and an amazing 7 game series against the league's champion. Poor decision to push this green banana to pro.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Blades had to trade for Armstrong because Chiasson didn't return per release after he 'accepted assignment in the East Coast Hockey League.' Blades Make Pair of Significant Trades on the Way to Edmonton

Blades gave up beaucoup draft assets to acquire Chiasson looking at spreading the investment over two playoff runs. Defaulted to Armstrong when the Oilers placed Chiasson weirdly in the ECHL.
Kind of strange. They had to ditch Shugrue to fit Armstrong and he was big for them in the playoffs, so it's not like they had a hole in their overage slots.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kind of strange. They had to ditch Shugrue to fit Armstrong and he was big for them in the playoffs, so it's not like they had a hole in their overage slots.
Pretty certain they were banking on Chiasson's return. Like I mentioned they gave up premium assets for him looking at a two year return on investment. They bet a 1st, 2nd and conditional 2nd to acquire Chiasson then had to flip another 3rd and 6th for his replacement, Armstrong. Armstrong was a pretty pedestrian player until his age 20 year in Saskatoon. Chiasson scored some big goals last playoff. The Blades moved the d-man Shugrue to replace big right wing Chiasson with big right wing Armstrong.

Saskatoon (my hometown) GM Priestner is a wheeler dealer so I'm sure they would have been able to move a body as needed. Chiasson was not ready to play pro this year with stunted development. Would have gained far more playing peer competition on a very good Blades team.

I still think Ottawa's 4th round pick is a great value in this deal.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Too much lamenting about Wallstedt and Johnston.

Doing hypotheticals with contract values is silly.
Nurse is already getting paid 9.25M. We all know Draisaitl and MacDavid are getting raises as well as Bouchard. Servalli, who is usually pretty close projects Bouchard at 10M, Draisaitl at 14 and McDavid at 16M.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's been raining bullshit in Oilerland for 20 years, don't be so sure the forecast of sunshine and lollipops is 100% accurate. I'd like to see a bunch more positives heading into this season. Real positives, not bullshit spin positives. This latest transaction seems like an admission our previous management was complete bullshit.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer and Seravalli had deduced he was going to be an Oiler at the end of the Dallas series. I wasn't as surprised to get him but very happy too. Skinner I was surprised along with Henrique staying.

But the biggest is Matty Savoie

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Just was listening to Ross Levitan whom apparently knows the Sens said Roby Jarventie was said to be untouchable in the Chychrun trade
I'm assuming you heard it on Oil Stream. He was on there and I am very happy with the reports he gave on him. Even those Roby goes through one bad year with a knee injury, he still has time to work with. He has had 3 good AHL seasons and he's only 21. If he hadn't been injured this year, he would've gone on to a full ppg season in the AHL

Reactions: McSuper

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have to laugh at those pining for Barrie and Larsson, unless your Mark Recchi retreads never work out.
In my case at least its not a question of pining for Barrie but rather the practical reality of how thin the pool of cheap RHD really is if Ceci has to be traded for cap purposes. If Ceci is a cap casualty the Oilers are once again very thin on the right side. Looking at the unsigned UFA's out there who is left who might possibly sign for under $1M? There are currently 9 unsigned RHD with any NHL experience.

DeAngelo, Zaitsev, Barrie, Kilingberg, J. Schultz, Shattenkirk, Bortuzzo, Gustav Lindstrom and Calen Addison.

Things on the left side aren't much better. In fact outside of Kylington the options for LHD may be worse.

Moving Ceci means you have to basically rely on Broberg or Kulak to fill the #2RHD slot or go with a guy like Stecher. The latter is of course an option for part of the season but Barrie might play the role for the defense than Gagner played for the forwards last year. A cheap vet with familiarity with the team who could fit into various roles in an emergency if the situation arose.

I doubt there is anyone on here who would see Barrie as anything more than a cheap platoon option until they made a more substantial move.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's been raining bullshit in Oilerland for 20 years, don't be so sure the forecast of sunshine and lollipops is 100% accurate. I'd like to see a bunch more positives heading into this season. Real positives, not bullshit spin positives. This latest transaction seems like an admission our previous management was complete bullshit.
Have a coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad