Confirmed with Link: Rangers promote Jeff Malcolm to replwce Benoit Allaire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I cannot imagine this will be a long term solution.
IDK, I think they want it to be. They hired Malcolm as a consultant basically as soon as he retired and then as the Hartford goalie coach a few years ago. Seems like they've been grooming him for this role. We know Drury is not at all hesitant to cut ties with a legacy from the previous administration, so this move indicates to me that he's a Drury Guy.

I mean unless he's terrible. Drury, for whatever faults he has, seems willing to acknowledge mistakes and move on from them. Otherwise though I'd guess Malcolm is seen as the heir apparent.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Malcolm was a Pack/sometimes ECHL goalie for 2/3 years. He's been the goalie coach in Hartford now I think for 3/4 years. I think he played college at Yale U.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Really not sure how screwed we are. Lots of time to learn from BA. But some things you just don’t learn. Big shoes to fill. Just needs to keep #31 on form, though, since we don’t have young talent in the pipe.

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mitch Korn and Bob Essensa are two other guys that have had phenomenal careers in that role. They don't come around often, but they do exist.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If it wasnt Malcom, I was hoping they wouldve pried my buddy Jared from Tampa who I played with in college.

We billeted him for several weeks in NJ before he transferred to Trinity. Great guy, super smart and an excellent goalie coach whos made his way up the ranks. He's one of the next Allaires.

Reactions: Doriva

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is Hank any interested at all with being a goalie coach?
I don't think that would be a fit.

"Sit way too far back and rely on generational reflexes and movement" isn't advice for most goalies.

I definitely could see Hank getting into the business in a front office capacity, but most goalies wouldn't be able to draw on what he can do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ramsey, Sam, Benoit…

They are purging the wrong people from the organization.
Allaire isn't being purged. This transition started in 2021 and he's still here. If Drury wanted to "purge" him he'd just fire him. We know he has no problem doing that.

Allaire is also 60 and has been coaching for 35 years. He may well be looking to shift full time into a different role or even start transitioning out of the organization himself.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
1724433076046.png

Damn, I didn't know 33 year olds played in the NCAA

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
NY is an at-will state. Sam is retiring due to age, Benoit is taking a step back because he's been doing this forever.

He's still around.

Exactly...he's the "director of goaltending" and has apparently been dealing with some health issues the past year or two. He needs a less demanding schedule and is still very much a fixture in the organization, just needs to be involved less in the day to day.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Exactly...he's the "director of goaltending" and has apparently been dealing with some health issues the past year or two. He needs a less demanding schedule and is still very much a fixture in the organization, just needs to be involved less in the day to day.
Yeah, people react like it's personal that he's getting older, same with Sam. Everything from Jessiman to the Zubov and Middleton trades get brought up like this is in the same category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad