Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Laine had a 8.7M cap hit and nobody else wanted it and Waddell still had to pay the Habs to take it. The deadline was approaching because both parties agreed that Laine at training camp wasn't an option

Chevy had two years to sort out the McGroarty issue and would only make a move if his price was met, which it was - by Dubas, who saw how the deal could benefit his team as well

If there was even one other team interested in Rutger, any leverage you seem to think Dubas had in the situation is gone. You saw forst hand how Chevy leveraged MTL's offer for Dubois to get a max return from LA

Your lack of understanding of how these things work seems to not have improved since the PLD situation. Maybe you can figure it out now
Speaking of leverage, look at the Askarov trade. Nashville also did well even with Askarov wanting out.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Much easier to hate on Dubas than to admit that a big reason for Dubas' "failures" in Toronto are due to their star players turning into absolute turds when it matters most.

None of the Pens' GMs have Cups on their resume if Crosby/Malkin were playoff chokers like the Leafs "stars".

Maybe they’d be stars if they played in Dallas.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone keeps saying the bolded and I see the opposite tbh

Rutger has wider range of outcomes to me.

Yager better floor, lower ceiling.

Just my opinion but I thought similar about the Drysdale/Sanderson debate. Everyone kept calling Drysdsle the high upside lower floor of the two and it seemed opposite. This is a little different since McGroarty isnt a great athlete (like Sanderson) but to me if he hits big he could produce way more points than Yager’s ceiling IMO and be a unique threat in doing it, like how Tkachuk and Benn are/were. Very hard to see Yager ever being like a big time point producer.

Floor wise: Yager better chance to carve out a role with his skating, 2way game and positional versatility as a RH shot and center capable. If McG too slow, he could be like a 100-200 game guy then done.
Bolded is just a fundamental difference between our opinions. I truly believe it’s the opposite from watching these two players.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I mean he pretty much gave both Kadri and Hyman away for free and signed Marner to an absurd deal. Cant really blame us Leaf fans. Those are critical pieces that were the right age for our rebuilt. He also put a rookie coach in charge..which we also paid dearly for. No cup since 67..best chance since then... squandered by a 30' something know it all. Yea kinda sucks.
Kadri was being killed by the media and the team for taking dumb penalties and costing them a series which promoted the move and it's funny to see the hindsight bs now. It's likely Dubas was told to get rid of him since it seemed Shanahan was far more controlling than anyone realized until later.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
WPG did well here all things considered. Love both as prospects, I rate McGroarty higher but Yager is legit, too!

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He isn't winning the Lady Bing, that's for sure. But a guy with 6 PIMs might

I think Shane Doan is a better comp than Tkachuk
Doan or "Foam" is what I read on the Jets board too before the last few pages got ugly. I also read Pacioretty and Benn. Not really keen on comparisons since I would rather see him play first. But I'm sure the brilliant mind that neutered a Norris winner with his ideas for adjustments to his game and likes to turn shoot first players into pass to Sid first players, whatever idea you have of Rutger should be flushed down the toilet where Sullivan's ideas belong.

Speaking of leverage, look at the Askarov trade. Nashville also did well even with Askarov wanting out.
I feel like the Sharks did a lot better in that one.

Reactions: Buffdog

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean he pretty much gave both Kadri and Hyman away for free and signed Marner to an absurd deal. Cant really blame us Leaf fans. Those are critical pieces that were the right age for our rebuilt. He also put a rookie coach in charge..which we also paid dearly for. No cup since 67..best chance since then... squandered by a 30' something know it all. Yea kinda sucks.

Absolutely lmao that Dubas is the one that "squandered" their chances and not their loser core who never shows up in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This seems like revisionist history. A lot of Leaf fans were fed up with Kadri getting suspended and applauded the move as necessary, and a lot of Leaf fans were laughing at the Oilers for that Hyman deal because they felt he'd be useless by Year 2 of the deal because of his age/play style.

Suddenly, Leaf fans wanted to keep both guys and doodoo head Dubas got rid of obvious guys that should have been retained at all costs.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This seems like revisionist history. A lot of Leaf fans were fed up with Kadri getting suspended and applauded the move as necessary, and a lot of Leaf fans were laughing at the Oilers for that Hyman deal because they felt he'd be useless by Year 2 of the deal because of his age/play style.

Suddenly, Leaf fans wanted to keep both guys and doodoo head Dubas got rid of obvious guys that should have been retained at all costs.
It's funny they whine about it now. They moved out Brown and kept Hyman and then Hyman wanted more and let him walk for Bunting, the fact that Hyman fit better with Mcdavid makes it look bad but really no one knew he'd have that kind of chemistry with him since he never showed that with any of the Leafs core. And the next year Bunting was the better player in his leafs tenure, he out produced Hyman's best years in Toronto. But hurr durr Dubas ruined them. Lol.

Shanaplan is still shitting all over that franchise and now all they want to do is blame the wrong bloke.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

TMLSE picks one person to put the blame on every year. One. They pick the scape goat and their media are good little boot lickers and get the word out there and fans eat it up. Babcock, Kadri, Andersen, Marner etc. The one year they tried not blaming one person and everyone laughed at the "respect in hand shakes".

But every year its the same thing. TMLSE/Shannahan can't admit the ShannaPlan is the problem so they pick one guy, usually on his way out to blame EVERYTHING on. Leafs fans eat it up and regurgitate. If TMLSE says it's Kadri's fault then that's what it is to the fans.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Mcgroarty had SIX penalty minutes last season

Tkachuk is a terrible comparison

He didn't help the Jets out. He helped himself out.

He traded a guy who is a few years away from contributing for a guy who can step in right now and hopefully play a meaningful role on an ELC while they're up against the cap and their superstars are aging quickly
He actually looks, with the way he moves and plays, more like M Tkachuk than anybody else I can think of. He’s just not a pest like that.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
There's a CBA for a reason. Part of it exists to protect weak markets like Pittsburgh and Winnipeg. This is not supposed to be like your local grocery store job where you can walk down the street to the other store because you feel like it. There's also a salary cap but at this point, not sure why.
The draft exists as a means to equitably distribute the RIGHTS to players. Not the players themselves.

Once a player’s rights have been allocated, the draft has served its purpose as far as the CBA is concerned. Everything after that is between the team and the player. And a player, obviously, is under zero obligation to play for a team if he doesn’t want to, for whatever reason.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I have no issues with a player not wanting to play with a team. The thing that steams me is why and out out lie about being a lifelong fan of a team? Jets was supposed to be his dream destination . And yet that's proven false. At least either be truthful about your wishes and desires or be silent and keep it behind doors like Evander Kane did.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I have no issues with a player not wanting to play with a team. The thing that steams me is why and out out lie about being a lifelong fan of a team? Jets was supposed to be his dream destination . And yet that's proven false. At least either be truthful about your wishes and desires or be silent and keep it behind doors like Evander Kane did.
Where did he say that?

From what I can remember, Rutger was a big Leafs fan because of his Dad and Wes Clark was very keen on him, guess where Wes Clark is now and where Rutger ended up...

Last edited:

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Before they turned on Rutger, most Jets fans had him down as a future captain type and a Jamie Benn type future.

Funny how quickly that turned.
For sure…he was good when we liked him, but now we don’t…so he is bad. I remember when they sold off Selanne. All of a sudden he had knee problems and was overrated. Oleg Tverdovsky was a superior player…etc

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens got a more ready player who brings a physical presence to the roster. Pens lack this kind of player. Sullivan has to know the smurf speed game was not the way to go. Pens have in DOC and now this player some decent size and bang on LW. Pens could go either way here but the ingredients are much better this year. Better bottom 6, some younger guys on D, Jarry returning to form, Graves getting his play back to a better level and a healthy Rakell is asking a lot. But Dubas is moving to the size, younger add talent to the system to have options in a couple years when most of these older guys will be gone one way or the other. I also think Dubas will move Eller and possibly Acciari before the season as well.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You mean like Kyle Connor?

I can't speak for every Canadian team, but the Canucks have way more American players than any other nationality, and I presume a fraction of those came through the ncaa.

I also cannot recall any ncaa player drafted by montreal who tried to strong arm their way out of the organization in this particular manner, and they have drafted many ncaa players over the years.

We hear alot about it when it happens but you never hear about all the other guys that actually signed, which is a far more frequent occurrence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad