Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sounds like the rumors that he wanted a guaranteed top 6 spot/power play time were total BS? Or do you think the Winnipeg GM is lying here?

That seemed to be the universally accepted story so I bought it. Turns out it was a figment of someone's imagination.

No real reason given. The closest goes back to last year's development camp somehow just not 'feeling right'. At the time he seemed more than happy. In fact, he seemed to be almost ecstatic, loved it. Apparently it took him only about 5 minutes to decide that Pittsburgh felt right. :dunno:

It doesn’t sound like he changed his mind until the organization/chevy changed their minds on a developmental path for him b/c they didn’t want to burn a year of his ELC. If you’re expecting to play in the NHL and maybe those discussions were had prior to signing then when it’s time to sign you’re told you’re gonna go to the AHL, it might cause a bit of riff.

I don’t think any party is in the wrong. Chevy and the jets reassessed the situation and wanted a new development path. Rutger feels ready and wants to play in the NHL. Didn’t work out

Where do you get this 'new development path' from?

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
No real reason given. The closest goes back to last year's development camp somehow just not 'feeling right'. At the time he seemed more than happy. In fact, he seemed to be almost ecstatic, loved it. Apparently it took him only about 5 minutes to decide that Pittsburgh felt right. :dunno:

I am sure he has been talking with the Penguins camp for awhile before this happened. They weren't making that trade without permission to talk.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Funny to read the initial disappointment from Pens fans at the deal. McGroarty seems like the much better prospect to me. I'm bummed for the Jets!

Yager was like the 3rd or 4th best player on Moose Jaw, he's really unimpressive if he doesn't have a lot of open ice to work with. Very much a periphery guy who looks good in open space, but can't handle contact. NHLers like that get passed around on the cheap.

I don't think that will be the case for McGroarty, teams just don't give those guys up.

FWIW on the HF prospect polls we had McGroarty 27th, with Yager yet to be voted in at #42, quite possibly not going to make the top #50.

I understand the Jets were not in the best position with McGroarty but I would not have done this trade.

I'm a little bummed for the Jets too - but not so much that I would not have done this trade. Yager is a C and much better than the picture you paint. Jets need top 6C's.

Other top players on Moose Jaw: Firkus, drafted a year earlier so he should be better. Even smaller. Calvert, undrafted overager, 'nuff said. Mateychuk, drafted a year earlier. Very highly rated Dman. Etc.

Yager is on the small side but plays above his weight class. Not generally regarded as a periphery player from the scouting reports I have seen. It is usual for players to fill out between the draft and their NHL debuts. HockeyDB says 170 lbs. EP says 179 already.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to disagree with any of this, but I can't shake the feeling that Rutger is going to do big things. Imo whether he reports to Pittsburgh's camp and turns pro or goes back to Michigan, my expectation is a huge season leading into an equally huge career.

My biggest complaint about Chevy has always been his hesitance to give prospects a chance to play. I don't think it's a good look to let prospects dictate all the specifics of their path, but if the preceding media reports about McGroarty's demands are accurate, guaranteeing him a spot probably wouldn't have cost us much qualitatively. Looking back at our 4th line and 13th forwards over the years, I bet he compares favourably even in a worst case scenario.

When you posted this he had already signed with Pens a day earlier.

It is not up to the GM to make up the roster. That's the coach's job.

All of the stories about McGroarty's 'demands' have been denied by Chevy himself.

I tend to agree with you about McGroarty's potential. But it is still unproven potential.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These guys look to be about the same level of prospects and more importantly they both equally cool sounding names. Maybe a slight edge to Brayden Eren Jaeger.

Over RutGERR McGROARty? Are you kidding? That is so good it sounds like a made up name for a hockey player, or a linebacker. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The "didn't feel right" comment is just what the agent said versus airing out the details of their decision, though it seems rather obvious why he soured on Winnipeg.

Doesn't matter who said it. "didn't feel right" is the ONLY explanation that was given, according to Chevy.
I don't believe Chevy would flat out lie. If there was something that he didn't want to say, there is no one in the world better at saying nothing than Chevy. He would have blathered on for half an hour without saying a single thing. No need to fabricate anything.

So I accept that as true. Nothing about getting into a game or 2 at the end of the season. Jets have not hesitated in the past to give a player a game after signing out of NCAA.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Where did he say that?

From what I can remember, Rutger was a big Leafs fan because of his Dad and Wes Clark was very keen on him, guess where Wes Clark is now and where Rutger ended up...

It's not just this. Watch this youtube video below from 1 hour 6 minute mark to 1 hour 12 minute mark. Tell me what you think..
Heck anyone tell me what you think.

Did McGroarty and or, his agent and family all acted in dinner theater or something? Did they collectively colllude to put on a show for the media and fans? A Campaign of Deception?

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There's a CBA for a reason. Part of it exists to protect weak markets like Pittsburgh and Winnipeg. This is not supposed to be like your local grocery store job where you can walk down the street to the other store because you feel like it. There's also a salary cap but at this point, not sure why.
What do you mean you aren’t sure why there is a salary cap?

The salary cap exists to tie players salary to a certain percentage of hockey related revenue, so the game can grow and be healthy.

Reactions: TS Quint

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I'm a little bummed for the Jets too - but not so much that I would not have done this trade. Yager is a C and much better than the picture you paint. Jets need top 6C's.

Other top players on Moose Jaw: Firkus, drafted a year earlier so he should be better. Even smaller. Calvert, undrafted overager, 'nuff said. Mateychuk, drafted a year earlier. Very highly rated Dman. Etc.

Yager is on the small side but plays above his weight class. Not generally regarded as a periphery player from the scouting reports I have seen. It is usual for players to fill out between the draft and their NHL debuts. HockeyDB says 170 lbs. EP says 179 already.
I see on hockey db that he is 6ft 1in. Is that on the small side?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can't wait for game 5 - Jets at home against the penguins, weekend game.

Rutger is gonna get it pretty bad from the crowd if he makes the team, biggest heel turn in Jets 2.0 for me. I really hope Yager has an impressive camp and gets this one as one of his 9 games, would be a crazy showdown so early on
Even if he makes the team, Sullivan probably plays him 4th line because that's what he does. So I guess you can heckle him on the bench for 55 minutes of the game.

I see on hockey db that he is 6ft 1in. Is that on the small side?
NHL site lists him as 5'11. Chances are he's one of those 5'11 guys who gets the "1 to 2 inch bump" on various sites, so you'll see him range from 5'11 to 6'1.

He also seems to be on the slender side where even when he's fully developed physically he's probably always going to be in the 190 lbs. range.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I haven’t seen enough of these guys to comment.

But who is the better prospect, Rutger or Cutter Gauthier?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I haven’t seen enough of these guys to comment.

But who is the better prospect, Rutger or Cutter Gauthier?
Hfboards recent rankings

Gauthier #6
McGroarty #27
Yager in the current poll looks to be #43

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

It's not just this. Watch this youtube video below from 1 hour 6 minute mark to 1 hour 12 minute mark. Tell me what you think..
Heck anyone tell me what you think.

Did McGroarty and or, his agent and family all acted in dinner theater or something? Did they collectively colllude to put on a show for the media and fans? A Campaign of Deception?

As a native to Winnipeg who's moved out of the city let me explain how this happened.

He liked the team, he went to the city, he changed his mind. Lol.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I have no issues with a player not wanting to play with a team. The thing that steams me is why and out out lie about being a lifelong fan of a team? Jets was supposed to be his dream destination . And yet that's proven false. At least either be truthful about your wishes and desires or be silent and keep it behind doors like Evander Kane did.

Who cares, man. He’s 20. I had Penguins, Flyers, Red Wings and Blackhawks merch when I was a kid and I flat out hate three of those teams now.

Putting your faith in teenagers is more absurd than a teenager changing his mind.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Who cares, man. He’s 20. I had Penguins, Flyers, Red Wings and Blackhawks merch when I was a kid and I flat out hate three of those teams now.

Putting your faith in teenagers is more absurd than a teenager changing his mind.
He said that after he was drafted though. I too liked teams as a kid and then later didn't as players and staff came and went. He went out of his way to say great things about the Jets and culture. So did his Mom and family according to interactions reported by local media. . The players on the Jets and staff hasnt changed that much since he made those comments about loving the team and organization. . Yes it's possible he changed his mind . But to not give a courtesy answer of telling Chevy why is very unprofessional. Especially since if he did change his mind, it must have happened recently.

It's also possible he never liked the Jets. And he and his camp decided to intentionally deceive from day 1. The consensus from Jets media who closely worked with McGroarty and his family is that it was all a deception .

There are numerous players who didn't like being a Jet. Roslovic, Lemieux, Kane, Bogosion. Forgetting many more. But none of them went on a Winnipeg love fest parade the way McGroarty did. How can McGroarty dislike playing for them without even trying for one single game.? I have been a Jets fan for many years and I dont recall seing a prospect so excited to being a Jet as McGroarty was. That's what makes this confounding.

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
As a native to Winnipeg who's moved out of the city let me explain how this happened.

He liked the team, he went to the city, he changed his mind. Lol.
Yet as far as we know, he was perfectly fine with the city after the first Development camp in 2022. He only changed his mind a year later in July of 2023. The city didn’t change. Then why continue the façade throughout the 2023/24 season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad