Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
The kid can be truthful and say all the terrible things about Winnipeg now that he’s traded
Good riddances. I was okay with him
sitting without a pro contract for two years but Chevy likes to accommodate disgruntled players and at least Chevy got some value. It’s too soon to know how good Yeager might be but I satisfied with the return as a Jets fan

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Was only brought to their attention around the time of the combine this spring, almost a full year later.
In addition McG’s family praised the Jets for their support when he got hurt and appreciated the Jets giving him space and not forcing any decisions by him in Michigans run to the Frozen Four.
I can accept him not wanting to play for the Jets, but he and his family and advisors gave no indication of his views until June. Giving vague reasons like “ it didn’t feel right” doesn’t help.
McG and his group handled the situation poorly and it sure doesn’t look like a great leadership example to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Was only brought to their attention around the time of the combine this spring, almost a full year later.

Oh no! People have life experiences and let there employers know short term!

The horrorrrrr!

Jesus christ.

The Canadian complex on this shit is insane.

He didn't want to play for you. You got a comparable prospect back. Who gives a shit?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Oh no! People have life experiences and let there employers know short term!

The horrorrrrr!

Jesus christ.

The Canadian complex on this shit is insane.

He didn't want to play for you. You got a comparable prospect back. Who gives a shit?
Christ, did you even read the posts in this thread. If he didn’t “feel right” at the 2023 development camp then let the Jets know right away. Don’t let on that everything is hunky dory for a year then drop the bomb. He wasn’t honest in handling the situation.
Might want to ask Philly fans about Cutter Gauthier. I have a feeling they might feel similar to Jets fans about McG. It’s not a “Canadian Complex”, which is quite a laughable take.
However, your other point is well taken. The Jets came out ok in the situation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Typical American response. Am I doing this right?

No, because Canadian franchises and their fanbase are incredibly sensitive about these issues.

It's some weird complex to punish players for wanting to play where they want to play.

Nobody in PIT cares that Jake Guentzel chose to leave the Penguins.

Christ, did you even read the posts in this thread. If he didn’t “feel right” at the 2023 development camp then let the Jets know right away. Don’t let on that everything is hunky dory for a year then drop the bomb. He wasn’t honest in handling the situation.
Might want to ask Philly fans about Cutter Gauthier. I have a feeling they might feel similar to Jets fans about McG. It’s not a “Canadian Complex”, which is quite a laughable take.
However, your other point is well taken. The Jets came out ok in the situation.

He let the Jets know. The Jets then facilitated a trade. He did everything you are asking him to do.

I listen to the Illegal Curve and in turn love a lot of Winnipeg media, but their takes on this situation have just been so lame.

There was like 6 posts today on the Jets forum about how they hope Trouba concusses the kid in his first game in the Rangers series. It's just absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
No, because Canadian franchises and their fanbase are incredibly sensitive about these issues.

It's some weird complex to punish players for wanting to play where they want to play.

He let the Jets know. The Jets then facilitated a trade. He did everything you are asking him to do.

I listen to the Illegal Curve and in turn love a lot of Winnipeg media, but their takes on this situation have just been so lame.

There was like 6 posts today on the Jets forum about how they hope Trouba concusses the kid in his first game in the Rangers series. It's just absurd.
Except he let on for a year that everything was fine before letting the Jets know. That’s not being honest and it blindsighted the Jets. That the problem I have with the situation. There’s a right way and a wrong way to handle the situation. He chose the wrong way (or his advisors).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Except he let on for a year that everything was fine before letting the Jets know. That’s not being honest and it blindsighted the Jets. That the problem I have with the situation. There’s a right way and a wrong way to handle the situation. He chose the wrong way (or his advisors).

Why?

Why should McGroarty sacrifice his future and potentially his future earnings to appease the Winnipeg Jets?

He showed up, played the part and then for some reason decided he wasn't in a situation where he could succeed. If anything players need to take that approach more often.

The NHL has brainwashed their fanbase into thinking players shouldn't do what is best for them. No other sport is ran that way.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
It will be fun to boo him when he comes to town. He was the best prospect the Jets have had in awhile (don’t count Cole because he was covid and in the pros immediately).

Only thing I don’t get is why he was doing interviews on Winnipeg YouTube channels throughout the year.. last being in January. And why was his dad wearing Jets gear at WJC. That’s where the “it hasn’t felt right since July 2023” doesn’t feel genuine.

Do find it interesting that the two teams that Kevin Hayes hated playing for were Jets and Flyers and the best buds got there way out of those cities.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Why?

Why should McGroarty sacrifice his future and potentially his future earnings to appease the Winnipeg Jets?

He showed up, played the part and then for some reason decided he wasn't in a situation where he could succeed. If anything players need to take that approach more often.

The NHL has brainwashed their fanbase into thinking players shouldn't do what is best for them. No other sport is ran that way.
You just don’t get it do you. I have no problem if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg. It may no be my desired outcome but that is his right. Just be up front when you come to that conclusion, don’t wait a year and blindside the team. Not a good example of leadership.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You just don’t get it do you. I have no problem if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg. It may no be my desired outcome but that is his right. Just be up front when you come to that conclusion, don’t wait a year and blindside the team. Not a good example of leadership.

You've been on this forum since 2010 so I assume you are 30+.

You never had a chance of heart in a year in your life?

• Wow
Reactions: Luc Labelle

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
You've been on this forum since 2010 so I assume you are 30+.

You never had a chance of heart in a year in your life?
He had his change of heart in July of 2023. He then did interviews and was in contact with the Jets and let on that everything is ok for a full year and then let the Jets know. That’s the problem - he was dishonest for almost a full year.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So for this whole time he was basically their unofficial hype man and then suddenly he said no thanks. I'd be asking what he saw and what the Jets did to make him immediately pivot away. Because that jersey horse shit Mr hide an assault and play dumb keeps peddling, isn't fooling anyone. It sounded dumb the moment he said it.

He had his change of heart in July of 2023. He then did interviews and was in contact with the Jets and let on that everything is ok for a full year and then let the Jets know. That’s the problem - he was dishonest for almost a full year.
If he didn't feel right about it and then didn't say anything that's not an issue really. He has the right to see what a team is doing and then realize you know what I don't like this new coach and his philosophy and I don't think I fit here in the long run. But nah you lot chose pettiness.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The kid can be truthful and say all the terrible things about Winnipeg now that he’s traded
Good riddances. I was okay with him
sitting without a pro contract for two years but Chevy likes to accommodate disgruntled players and at least Chevy got some value. It’s too soon to know how good Yeager might be but I satisfied with the return as a Jets fan
I think getting Yager over letting an asset rot away is a positive.

I hope he turns into something.

5 or 10 years from now I can't wait to look back at this trade.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It will be fun to boo him when he comes to town. He was the best prospect the Jets have had in awhile (don’t count Cole because he was covid and in the pros immediately).

Only thing I don’t get is why he was doing interviews on Winnipeg YouTube channels throughout the year.. last being in January. And why was his dad wearing Jets gear at WJC. That’s where the “it hasn’t felt right since July 2023” doesn’t feel genuine.

Do find it interesting that the two teams that Kevin Hayes hated playing for were Jets and Flyers and the best buds got there way out of those cities.
And yet you don't want to ask what did the team do in that span that made him say nope?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
By all accounts the team did ask him - all they got back was that it didn't feel right multiple times from both him and his representation.

You never use this as a reason for doing something?

McGroarty is a human being. He isn't an asset. By signing with the Jets he's essentially forfeiting 6-7 of his professional years to being in Winnipeg.

It's not like this is uncommon, we saw Evander Kane, Laine, PLD, Buff have these feelings towards this organization.

But yeah I'm sure the GM who has been there the whole time isn't selling the conversation to suit his needs...

Yager didn't sign his ELC for nearly a year +. He said the right things about PIT. I'm happy we moved him on though given the situation seemed like it could go off the rails similarly.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
At least Lindros owned his decision from Day 1. He didn’t p***yfoot around like a snake and give the Nordiques false hope for a year.

They knew from draft night he never had intentions of playing for their organization and took their time evaluating offers to secure the best future for themselves.

COULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED IN A MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL MANNER.

Glad Brayden Yager is a member of the JETS organization.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You never use this as a reason for doing something?

McGroarty is a human being. He isn't an asset. By signing with the Jets he's essentially forfeiting 6-7 of his professional years to being in Winnipeg.

It's not like this is uncommon, we saw Evander Kane, Laine, PLD, Buff have these feelings towards this organization.

But yeah I'm sure the GM who has been there the whole time isn't selling the conversation to suit his needs...

Yager didn't sign his ELC for nearly a year +. He said the right things about PIT. I'm happy we moved him on though given the situation seemed like it could go off the rails similarly.
well you got 2 of 4 of those right...

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Jesus Christ the sensitivity you have towards someone verbally abusing Rugburn’s poor little head. Now that’s absurd!!! BOO FREAK’N HOO.

Reactions: TS Quint

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
By all accounts the team did ask him - all they got back was that it didn't feel right multiple times from both him and his representation.
You lot should move on. It's not like the return wasn't a good one. It's clear the team told him something and he didn't agree and nothing changed so he decided to move on.

He could have done what Wheeler did to Arizona, you know, the bloke that was a Jets Captain.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You lot should move on. It's not like the return wasn't a good one. It's clear the team told him something and he didn't agree and nothing changed so he decided to move on.

He could have done what Wheeler did to Arizona, you know, the bloke that was a Jets Captain.
Sorry to break it to you but I don't think Jets fans will gloss over this for some time. Hockey is entertainment, and the best entertainment has great villains - Rutger is the best villain we've had in years

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad