Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Which prospect is better and is it a big gap?

Chevy is a goat. Being GM on the Jets would be very challenging due to certain players not wanting to play there. He’s managed to make the most of it.
They should draft players from Sweden and Finland who are more used to freezing winters.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
If Rutger didn't sign because of Jets not saying he was NHL ready or of there development of other players then that is malpractice. Not how a market like Winnipeg should be running it's franchise, we will live and die by homegrown talent. This was the buzz around town for a couple months up until Chevy's press conference. Honestly, it is what makes sense more then what Chevy said in his presser. Issue is that Chevy has earned the benefit of the doubt as he normally just wouldn't say anything at the presser but he was clearly agitated on this situation and was pointed on what happened.

Rutger is a good kid and will have a fine career in Pitt. If he was okay with coming to Winnipeg and chose not to come here because of how the Jets run their org, that's fine and is the wake up call TNSE needs. Unfortunately that's not what he said. He spent the season going on youtube channels that have 11k subscribers talking about how excited he was to be a Jet and now is changing the narrative that he never wanted to be a Jet.

I honestly don't know what these Penguin fans are arguing? They got the better player. He's already in Pitt and will enjoy his time there. Winnipeg fans are agitated (just like their GM) about a prospect who refused to sign on the dotted line to play for them. Isn't that why we are sports fans? Were the Flyers not allowed to be pissed when Cutter refused to take Danny's phone call? Honestly comes off as pompous and arrogant.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
You lot should move on. It's not like the return wasn't a good one. It's clear the team told him something and he didn't agree and nothing changed so he decided to move on.

He could have done what Wheeler did to Arizona, you know, the bloke that was a Jets Captain.
It is not clear the team told him something and he didn’t agree. He and his family spent from July 2023 to June 2024 telling everyone how much he wanted to be a Jet and how much they appreciated the Jets organization. It was all an act,
However you are right in one respect, Jets got a good return and in addition a villain they can boo when Pitt cones to town.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
No, because Canadian franchises and their fanbase are incredibly sensitive about these issues.

It's some weird complex to punish players for wanting to play where they want to play.

Nobody in PIT cares that Jake Guentzel chose to leave the Penguins.
Now do Adam Fox and Carolina. Or the Preds and Jimmy Vesey. There have been a ton of non-Canadian team fans that have been upset with players that choose not to sign with the team that drafts them. Flyers fans and Cutter Gauthier.

This isn't a 'Canadian' thing, it's a 'fan' thing. I doubt very much that the Jets' fans would have been any happier if he had been traded to and signed in Toronto or Vancouver or Ottawa. This is about kids deciding they won't play where they're drafted (and I'm not arguing one way or another about whether that's good or not).

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
So are Jets fans arguing that rather than having the kid praise and say nice things about Winnipeg they would have preferred that he piss on them from the start? Because that seems to be the message.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
So are Jets fans arguing that rather than having the kid praise and say nice things about Winnipeg they would have preferred that he piss on them from the start? Because that seems to be the message.
Winnipeg, like Pittsburgh, is a very blue-collar, working class city. It doesn’t tolerate bullshit and ingrates. There is no place for primadonnas or drama queens (see: Kane). People choose to spend their hard-earned dollars on the team and don’t appreciate selfish entitlement from the people that those dollars support. So yes, the fans would like to see maturity and humility - either be up-front and honest, or don’t come at all.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Sorry to break it to you but I don't think Jets fans will gloss over this for some time. Hockey is entertainment, and the best entertainment has great villains - Rutger is the best villain we've had in years
Pens could use a guy like that.

Yager looked to be developing well but I like this trade given the timing. First Dubas move I actually like this offseason.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
the players who wanted out of winnipeg were, Burmistrov,Roslovic,Trouba,Kane,PLD,McGroarty. Not a great group of guys to have around a team.
That's a large group of guys to force trades.

Maybe there comes a time when it's not JUST the player?

That said, everything that I have read about McGroarty says he's a great lockerroom guy and leader.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If Rutger didn't sign because of Jets not saying he was NHL ready or of there development of other players then that is malpractice. Not how a market like Winnipeg should be running it's franchise, we will live and die by homegrown talent. This was the buzz around town for a couple months up until Chevy's press conference. Honestly, it is what makes sense more then what Chevy said in his presser. Issue is that Chevy has earned the benefit of the doubt as he normally just wouldn't say anything at the presser but he was clearly agitated on this situation and was pointed on what happened.

Rutger is a good kid and will have a fine career in Pitt. If he was okay with coming to Winnipeg and chose not to come here because of how the Jets run their org, that's fine and is the wake up call TNSE needs. Unfortunately that's not what he said. He spent the season going on youtube channels that have 11k subscribers talking about how excited he was to be a Jet and now is changing the narrative that he never wanted to be a Jet.

I honestly don't know what these Penguin fans are arguing? They got the better player. He's already in Pitt and will enjoy his time there. Winnipeg fans are agitated (just like their GM) about a prospect who refused to sign on the dotted line to play for them. Isn't that why we are sports fans? Were the Flyers not allowed to be pissed when Cutter refused to take Danny's phone call? Honestly comes off as pompous and arrogant.
Man, you don't come often, but when you do , you come heavy.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Now do Adam Fox and Carolina. Or the Preds and Jimmy Vesey. There have been a ton of non-Canadian team fans that have been upset with players that choose not to sign with the team that drafts them. Flyers fans and Cutter Gauthier.

This isn't a 'Canadian' thing, it's a 'fan' thing. I doubt very much that the Jets' fans would have been any happier if he had been traded to and signed in Toronto or Vancouver or Ottawa. This is about kids deciding they won't play where they're drafted (and I'm not arguing one way or another about whether that's good or not).
Trying to equate prospects signing to a pending ufa is truly some sort of arguing tactic.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Trying to equate prospects signing to a pending ufa is truly some sort of arguing tactic.
Not really, all of those guys - more or less - refused to sign with the club that drafted them. If the Jets refused to trade Rutger, he may very well have gone the same route.

Point is, while this is relatively rare, it's not completely unprecedented for a draft pick to not want to sign with the team that drafted them. Sometimes they get trades and sometimes they wait until they hit UFA status.

Instead of being mad about why Rutger wanted out, I think at this point, the Jets organization and fanbase should take a good look in the mirror and ask WHY he wanted out? "It just didn't feel right" is a cop-out answer, and there is absolutely more to the story. If I were Chevy, I might interview a few other guys and prospects and start asking around.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
No, because Canadian franchises and their fanbase are incredibly sensitive about these issues.

It's some weird complex to punish players for wanting to play where they want to play.

Nobody in PIT cares that Jake Guentzel chose to leave the Penguins.
No, I think every fan is sensitive to players not wanting to join their team/city, and there are levels to this.

Pens fans weren't too happy when Hossa decided to snub them and sign a 1 year with Detroit instead.
How pained everybody was when Jagr chose Philly over us.
Guentzel is a little different and it was a mutual breakup.
Staal, but it wasn't personal to the org/city.

Point is none of these were pointing the finger at the organization/city which is deeply personal to people. An RFA or draft pick really has no power, and for them to stand up and say "I don't want to play for you" really sends a message to the org, and it's not a good one.

There is a reason why the Pens work so hard to make it an A+ franchise to play for, as they have to fight other issues (ie. not being New York for example).

So yeah...
You can argue that many Winnipeg should figure out what's the issue with the franchise to get such a response from McGroarty, and I'm sure they are looking at that.

In the interim, I can see why fans would be mad/sensitive. It's personal.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

You think that gifting a young player a spot on the roster rather than having them develop properly and earn it is a good way to run a franchise?

Think about the message that sends guys like Lambert and Heinola, who have kept their mouths shut and worked their way up through the system. And think about how the vets would take it

It's like letting your kids eat ice cream before supper if they throw a tantrum. It's the worst possible thing you can do. You're teaching them (and any other kids watching) that the way to get your way is to be an entitled prick

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You think that gifting a young player a spot on the roster rather than having them develop properly and earn it is a good way to run a franchise?

Think about the message that sends guys like Lambert and Heinola, who have kept their mouths shut and worked their way up through the system. And think about how the vets would take it

It's like letting your kids eat ice cream before supper if they throw a tantrum. It's the worst possible thing you can do. You're teaching them (and any other kids watching) that the way to get your way is to be an entitled prick
Do you think that the only way to "earn" an NHL roster spot is through the AHL? Or can spots be "earned" by their play in the NCAAs, CHL, Euro leagues? Because quite a few star players have not seen meaningful AHL time.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No, I think every fan is sensitive to players not wanting to join their team/city, and there are levels to this.

Pens fans weren't too happy when Hossa decided to snub them and sign a 1 year with Detroit instead.
How pained everybody was when Jagr chose Philly over us.
Guentzel is a little different and it was a mutual breakup.
Staal, but it wasn't personal to the org/city.

Point is none of these were pointing the finger at the organization/city which is deeply personal to people. An RFA or draft pick really has no power, and for them to stand up and say "I don't want to play for you" really sends a message to the org, and it's not a good one.

There is a reason why the Pens work so hard to make it an A+ franchise to play for, as they have to fight other issues (ie. not being New York for example).

So yeah...
You can argue that many Winnipeg should figure out what's the issue with the franchise to get such a response from McGroarty, and I'm sure they are looking at that.

In the interim, I can see why fans would be mad/sensitive. It's personal.

My big thing is how did he go from being pumped and actively saying he is excited to not being excited.

That's the biggest thing.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Do you think that the only way to "earn" an NHL roster spot is through the AHL? Or can spots be "earned" by their play in the NCAAs, CHL, Euro leagues? Because quite a few star players have not seen meaningful AHL time.
Depends on the player, obviously. But plenty of kids have been rushed to the NHL (even top 5 picks) who weren't ready and as a result, either didn't develop properly or it took longer than it should have

Because of how the Jets use Lowry's line as a shutdown line, Rutger is best off in the top 6 or playing big minutes in the AHL. Which one of Perfetti, Connor, Ehlers or Vilardi would he slot in ahead of?

Whis

Jul 1, 2016

I can see both sides of the argument. In my world I would play all Lambert, Rutger and Ville all early in the season to give them a chance to prove themselves and actually develop in the NHL. The only way the Jets are going to have a chance to win playoff games is if the young players can take major steps and provide depth. I don't believe in trading for rentals and would rather see the young guys take steps over a 6 month season and provide the depth come playoff time. There is no reason you can't put Rutger on the 4th line to start the season and see how it goes. Our depth isn't that untouchable.

Unfortunately that's not what happened in this situation as Chevy never talked to Brisson or Rutger about NHL playing time. Either he saw what happened with Cole from a far (which has been borderline malpractice) and said nah, or he never wanted to be a Jet and played the fans/media/franchise like a fiddle.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I can see both sides of the argument. In my world I would play all Lambert, Rutger and Ville all early in the season to give them a chance to prove themselves and actually develop in the NHL. The only way the Jets are going to have a chance to win playoff games is if the young players can take major steps and provide depth. I don't believe in trading for rentals and would rather see the young guys take steps over a 6 month season and provide the depth come playoff time. There is no reason you can't put Rutger on the 4th line to start the season and see how it goes. Our depth isn't that untouchable.

Unfortunately that's not what happened in this situation as Chevy never talked to Brisson or Rutger about NHL playing time. Either he saw what happened with Cole from a far (which has been borderline malpractice) and said nah, or he never wanted to be a Jet and played the fans/media/franchise like a fiddle.
According to Chevy, McG “didn’t feel right” about the Jets at 2023 development camp which is before Perfetti’s benching in 2024. Maybe the benching had an influence but that wasn’t communicated to Chevy, as far as I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad