Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Nurse is relegated to virtual third pairing status you might as try him on RD. His positioning might actually improve.

If there is any light at the end of the tunnel it should be "the stuff holding Nurse back is basic hockey fundamentals". The easiest things to learn in hockey.

Know when to stand here and look out for this, know when to stand there and look out for that. Don't chase that guy, stay in your position. When a player is crossing the blue line be this close to him and be sure you're at this angle so you can pivot. There is no way he can't learn these things and he has the mobility to do them well.
I heard a really interesting suggestion that we try Nurse at forward. I think that was Staples. It's actually not that strange. Byfuglien won his cup during the season he was moved to forward. Burns did it too.

The really unique thing is when a forward moves to defense. I can only remember it happening once: Federov

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I've been watching Alex Nikishin highlights. I wish we had a prospect like him in our system

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would trade Savoie for someone like Nikishin. Not Askorov tho. Too much boom or bust with Askarov. We also have Rodrigue, Ungar, Day and Vinni in the system.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Guys Larsson is NOT the same player he was when he was there. Intreesting how so many calling the Oilers Nepotistic are doing this out of nepotism. He got walked badly many times throughout the year.
This weird and you don't know what nepotism is it seems.

Yeah Larsson had some struggles in Seattle, that will happen on a bad team that's not well coached and over uses him.

Look at Ceci getting even minimal usage

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I heard a really interesting suggestion that we try Nurse at forward. I think that was Staples. It's actually not that strange. Byfuglien won his cup during the season he was moved to forward. Burns did it too.

The really unique thing is when a forward moves to defense. I can only remember it happening once: Federov
Brent Burns is another.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hypothetical: if you can get Askarov from NSH for Savoie +, do you do it?
I would not.

One, goalies are way too fickle. There's a reason why the goalie market is weaker than other positions.

Two, and I know people have reservations about him, but Skinner is their guy now and likely going forward. He's had two good regular seasons in his first two full NHL seasons and played a big role in critical games this playoffs in backstopping them on a Cup run.

Three, and I know he's not Askarov, but they have another young goalie on the farm who is performing well and drafted one highly in this past draft so it's not like they lack options in the pipeline.

I think the one concern with Skinner continuing on this trajectory is that he'll be due for a big contract in 2 years so decisions will have to be made but that would be a good problem to have if he leads them on two more Cup runs leading up to that.
Or he can flop entirely because....goalies are fickle.

I'd rather hold on to Savoie to see if he becomes a solution here or be traded for a more proven young or prime aged player. I would not trade him for another maybe unless it was a high end D prospect.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hypothetical: if you can get Askarov from NSH for Savoie +, do you do it?
I don’t. Rodrigue and Skinner might both be better than Askarov right now. I’d rather keep Savoie. I’m more confident in him becoming a top 6 forward than I am in Askarov becoming a good starting goalie.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Burns was a forward in junior and Jacques Lemaire made him a defenceman right away in the NHL.

I get the reasons for moving Nurse to forward, but who does he replace on left wing? IMO it makes more sense to have coaches and management work with him on defence and find him the right partner. He probably needs to spend some quality time with George the psychologist guy too.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
A Senator fan proposed Jarventie to the Oilers last week I think but I can’t remember for what.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Huh. Roby doesn't seem like a bad trade, especially since Bourgault has been struggling.

Another deal where we are getting something back that has some value just before the value on the player we dealt sinks into oblivion.

If this is the predictor of the future - calling a spade a spade and moving on while a player with rapidly diminishing value still actually has some value, then that is a very positive sign. For about the last 30 years we would have sat on Borgault until he was simply not qualified or dealt for future considerations or a pure AHL deal as we hoped that maybe next year would be different.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Another deal where we are getting something back that has some value just before the value on the player we dealt sinks into oblivion.

If this is the predictor of the future - calling a spade a spade and moving on while a player with rapidly diminishing value still actually has some value, then that is a very positive sign. For about the last 30 years we would have sat on Borgault until he was simply not qualified or dealt for future considerations or a purse AHL deal as we hoped that maybe next year would be different.

I'm almost wondering if Staios wanted Bourgault and Chaisson, and we also wanted Roby Jarventie, so it was a mutual agreement that both teams wanted.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Interesting. Not sure what really happened with Borgault. Dude looked so good in his first training camp and then just did nothing in the AHL.

I still would of liked to see him play with some more talent before giving up on him.

But I don’t know much about Jarventie and at this point I trust that Jackson knows a thing or too. It is interesting how aggressive he has been with prospects. He clearly isn’t happy with our farm system.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Don't know what to think of this trade. Roby Jarventie is only 3 months older and almost put up a PPG, so by stats he is the better player, however I was a believer in Bourgault turning into a really good Bottom 6er, I always really like his IQ, Hands and his board play among his peers was so good that when he bulked up a bit was going to be a very good tool in the Pro's.
Roby looks like a big boy and if I remember correctly he can really shoot the pill.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Probably nothing for nothing but weirdly proactive of the Oilers to dump Bourgault on someone else while the rest of the league only thinks he sucks rather than being absolutely certain.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Interesting. Not sure what really happened with Borgault. Dude looked so good as a rookie and then just did nothing in the AHL.

I still would of liked to see him play with some more talent before giving up on him.

But I don’t know much about Jarventie and at this point I trust that Jackson knows a thing or too. It is interesting how aggressive he has been with prospects. He clearly isn’t happy with our farm system.

I know nothing about Jarventie other than a two minute google, but I see he has size and speed.

Wonder if it's a calculus of Jarventie possibly being able to play in the bottom 6 in the NHL, vs Borgault who was a pure Top6 or bust type player.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I know nothing about Jarventie other than a two minute google, but I see he has size and speed.

Wonder if it's a calculus of Jarventie possibly being able to play in the bottom 6 in the NHL, vs Borgault who was a pure Top6 or bust type player.

Very well could be since we have Savoie now, which basically destroys any chance for Lavoie and Bourgault to make the Top 6 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad