Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Meh, he has nothing left to prove down there. The biggest reason I see for wanting out is he'll never be the starter with Saros signing an 8 year deal recently. Plus they just signed a backup goalie. I'd want out to and the chance to get a big pay day sooner rather than later.

Yeah, he can still play as backup until traded. No need to be a baby and take your ball home. Reporting to the AHL if needed will get him traded a lot sooner than forcing the team to do something.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't think Yzerman would have taken Laine for free. Mantha, Bert, Vrana, Walman... when he's done with you, you are gone. I personally don't think Laine is like the rest. Different on/off ice issues but regardless , I don't see them at this point in the roster build up adding anyone who may rock the boat, or effect chemistry to drastically. I personally think Laine has some good years ahead of him in the right situation, just really hope they arenr in our division.

Don't know a ton about Askarov but he seems to fit the same bill, in a different manner.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's a very well balanced take. But this is an internet forum, so I feel obligated to spice things up.

Here's the recipe for Patrick Laine:
* Take one Daniel Sprong.
* Mix in 20 to 30 percent more production.
* Add 250 percent more salary.
* Stir vigorously.

Voila! Instant Laine!

If you're getting a 20-25 goal Laine, yeah - which I admit is the most likely result and that's if it goes well. Any deal for the guy is clearly a lotto ticket that you're getting the 35+ goal guy that he flashed when he came into the league, though.

I don't care about Montreal, but I'm hoping the big fin puts his life together and becomes the player he looked possible of when he came into the league. We've seen too many guys let apparent off-ice stuff sidetrack their careers lately (Vrana and Kusnetsov come most readily to mind).

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Edmonton didn't match on Broberg or Holloway.

Right move IMO. I took alot of shit on the main board for being like the only non-montreal fan who said "Montreal was right to let Kotkaniemi walk" and have been correct about that from the onset. I think the principles here are similar, particularly regarding Broberg and Edmonton

That said at the same time I think Broberg is a *bit* smarter of a gamble for St Louis than Kotkaniemi was for D̶u̶n̶d̶o̶n̶'s̶ e̶m̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶g̶e̶ t̶o̶u̶r̶ Carolina because it's 4 million rather than 6.

Reactions: Winger98

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Thank you Montreal. You just acquired a guy who will take up cap space, score enough meaningless regular season goals to nudge you towards being a bubble team, and then disappear when the games matter.

Or when anything vaguely resembling defense is required.

Bullet dodged.
Indeed. Huge no thanks. People wanting this guy at that cap hit.... cringe.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I quite like Laine I just don’t see where there’s a fit on a roster that’s already hosting Kane and Tarasenko, who are both pretty one-dimensional. Raymond and DeBrincat aren’t exactly Mark Stone either. That would’ve put a lot of defensive pressure on our mediocre at best center group and our subpar at best blue line, imo.

Reactions: RabidBadger

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If you're getting a 20-25 goal Laine, yeah - which I admit is the most likely result and that's if it goes well. Any deal for the guy is clearly a lotto ticket that you're getting the 35+ goal guy that he flashed when he came into the league, though.

I don't care about Montreal, but I'm hoping the big fin puts his life together and becomes the player he looked possible of when he came into the league. We've seen too many guys let apparent off-ice stuff sidetrack their careers lately (Vrana and Kusnetsov come most readily to mind).
I hope to see him put it all together as well, especially off the ice. But he's also headed to one of the two biggest pressure-cooker markets in the league. Maybe even the highest pressure, since what the Habs fanbase lacks compared to the sheer volume of the Leafs' fanbase, they make up for in passion and drama. So for someone who's off-ice struggles seem to have centred around mental health issues, that's going to be a big challenge. Hopefully he's got a good support system in place and ignores those distractions.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Edmonton didn't match on Broberg or Holloway.

Right move IMO. I took alot of shit on the main board for being like the only non-montreal fan who said "Montreal was right to let Kotkaniemi walk" and have been correct about that from the onset. I think the principles here are similar, particularly regarding Broberg and Edmonton

That said at the same time I think Broberg is a *bit* smarter of a gamble for St Louis than Kotkaniemi was for D̶u̶n̶d̶o̶n̶'s̶ e̶m̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶g̶e̶ t̶o̶u̶r̶ Carolina because it's 4 million rather than 6.

Yeah, I still think Broberg can be a good NHLer. Not sure why Edmonton moved Ceci, though, if they weren't going to keep Broberg. They must have really expected him to not keep taking steps forward after the playoff run.

I hope to see him put it all together as well, especially off the ice. But he's also headed to one of the two biggest pressure-cooker markets in the league. Maybe even the highest pressure, since what the Habs fanbase lacks compared to the sheer volume of the Leafs' fanbase, they make up for in passion and drama. So for someone who's off-ice struggles seem to have centred around mental health issues, that's going to be a big challenge. Hopefully he's got a good support system in place and ignores those distractions.

And Montreal has a pretty young locker room. In the end, though, it's on Laine. as long as he doesn't know French and doesn't ask for a translator, he'll be able to ignore some of the media :D

Reactions: RabidBadger

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Team needs better defense, not more goals imo.

For the cost of a 2nd I'd have made a run at Broberg. I wasn't his biggest fan at the draft but he could become a decent second pair option and might have looked OK next to Seider as a Walman replacement.

Even Holloway for a 3rd would have been a solid gain for this team. Decent size, speed, can handle physical play, and looks like he'll be a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener on the wing.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Other than a few lunatics last year when Reinbacher was drafted, the Habs fan base has been very calm and accepting of the rebuild, and patient. Most Habs fans have no memory of the “glory years” of the 70’s or even the ‘86 or ‘93 Cups. They’re now like other fan bases in the NHL, just bilingual.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The difference is that Kotkaniemi was for sure an NHLer, I'm still not convinced Broberg is.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, I still think Broberg can be a good NHLer. Not sure why Edmonton moved Ceci, though, if they weren't going to keep Broberg. They must have really expected him to not keep taking steps forward after the playoff run.

All moves were made for cap purposes.

Now they have 1.95M in cap space, and 2 roster spots left. Forward roster spot goes to 1.0M Podkolzin, and then there's 950k left for a depth defenceman.

E.Kane LTIR is not a full season option. He could be LTIR at start, but that doesn't solve the seasonal cap problem.

Also, that Edmonton cap hell is really happening season after, thanks to Bouchard and Draisaitl extensions. Those caphits like Broberg would have been really problematic next year. Much more than season 2024-25.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
All moves were made for cap purposes.

Now they have 1.95M in cap space, and 2 roster spots left. Forward roster spot goes to 1.0M Podkolzin, and then there's 950k left for a depth defenceman.

E.Kane LTIR is not a full season option. He could be LTIR at start, but that doesn't solve the seasonal cap problem.

Also, that Edmonton cap hell is really happening season after, thanks to Bouchard and Draisaitl extensions. Those caphits like Broberg would have been really problematic next year. Much more than season 2024-25.

well, they didn't really open up two spots since they brought in Podkolzin and Emberson.They freed up a little cap space this season but where are they going to spend it? They have limited trade assets, and any bidding war at the TDL would likely leave them on the outside looking in. And they can't work pre-emptively because that cap space won't be enough to let them make a significant move early in the saeason.

Bowman needed to move on from Ceci way earlier in the offseason so he could have weaponized his assets better to upgrade that blueline going into the season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager.

I think McGroarty is a bit better of a prospect but Yager is also a stud, Winnipeg made out alot better than I think alot of people (myself included) thought they would from the McGroarty fiasco.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager.

I think McGroarty is a bit better of a prospect but Yager is also a stud, Winnipeg made out alot better than I think alot of people (myself included) thought they would from the McGroarty fiasco.

also both of those guys were drafted 14th overall

just thought that was kinda funny

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Pretty sad that he is pulling the not reporting thing at 22 years old and a goalie. .911 in back to back seasons is not so great that you are guaranteed ready for an NHL net. Don't blame him for wanting to be traded, but just report.

Given the moves made by the Preds, this isn't an unreasonable request.

No Path To Starter Role for Askarov​

Despite being one of the top goaltending prospects in the world, there isn’t much of a path available for Askarov to become the starter for the Predators any time soon. Their current starting goaltender, Juuse Saros, signed an eight-year extension that will kick in next offseason, and with him being one of the top goaltenders in the league, it doesn’t look like the Predators will have a spot for Askarov over the next nine seasons.

Given the moves made by the Preds, this isn't an unreasonable request.

Meh, he has nothing left to prove down there. The biggest reason I see for wanting out is he'll never be the starter with Saros signing an 8 year deal recently. Plus they just signed a backup goalie. I'd want out to and the chance to get a big pay day sooner rather than later.

Odd Konan hits the nail on the head. Askarov would report to an AHL affiliate for a team with a path to get into the NHL. That path has been effectively blocked by the Preds moves this off season. Given the win now signings, I must assume Trotz expected this request. The only thing he is likely unhappy about is the public statement, as it may weaken the asset value in a trade. I doubt it, but that would have been the better route to make the request.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
well, they didn't really open up two spots since they brought in Podkolzin and Emberson.They freed up a little cap space this season but where are they going to spend it? They have limited trade assets, and any bidding war at the TDL would likely leave them on the outside looking in. And they can't work pre-emptively because that cap space won't be enough to let them make a significant move early in the saeason.

Bowman needed to move on from Ceci way earlier in the offseason so he could have weaponized his assets better to upgrade that blueline going into the season.
They didn't hire Bowman until July 24th so tough to blame him for this part.

I think they can likely find a vet d-man available during training camp, like you said the problem will be cost of acquire that player. They could use one of the Blues compensatory picks and Kane's LTIR to get a decent d-man though in my opinion.

Reactions: Winger98

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Odd Konan hits the nail on the head. Askarov would report to an AHL affiliate for a team with a path to get into the NHL. That path has been effectively blocked by the Preds moves this off season. Given the win now signings, I must assume Trotz expected this request. The only thing he is likely unhappy about is the public statement, as it may weaken the asset value in a trade. I doubt it, but that would have been the better route to make the request.
I prefer eccentric.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They didn't hire Bowman until July 24th so tough to blame him for this part.

I think they can likely find a vet d-man available during training camp, like you said the problem will be cost of acquire that player. They could use one of the Blues compensatory picks and Kane's LTIR to get a decent d-man though in my opinion.

That's fair but it seemed to be an open secret for quite awhile that the Oil were moving on from Holland. It seems like whoever was making decisions before Bowman was signed needed to either have a better idea of what they wanted to do this summer or had inked Holland's replacement sooner. If they were willing to part with Broberg and Holloway, I think those two could have brought back more in a deal than what they got out of the poaching.

I'm a bit more pessimistic that they'll be able to pull in a good replacement before the season starts. Maybe it works out for them, but this summer has become a pretty rough look for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad