Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Pretty sad that he is pulling the not reporting thing at 22 years old and a goalie. .911 in back to back seasons is not so great that you are guaranteed ready for an NHL net. Don't blame him for wanting to be traded, but just report.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

Given the moves made by the Preds, this isn't an unreasonable request.

No Path To Starter Role for Askarov​

Despite being one of the top goaltending prospects in the world, there isn’t much of a path available for Askarov to become the starter for the Predators any time soon. Their current starting goaltender, Juuse Saros, signed an eight-year extension that will kick in next offseason, and with him being one of the top goaltenders in the league, it doesn’t look like the Predators will have a spot for Askarov over the next nine seasons.

Given the moves made by the Preds, this isn't an unreasonable request.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Pretty sad that he is pulling the not reporting thing at 22 years old and a goalie. .911 in back to back seasons is not so great that you are guaranteed ready for an NHL net. Don't blame him for wanting to be traded, but just report.
Meh, he has nothing left to prove down there. The biggest reason I see for wanting out is he'll never be the starter with Saros signing an 8 year deal recently. Plus they just signed a backup goalie. I'd want out to and the chance to get a big pay day sooner rather than later.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Laine is a Canadien.

Boy if they end up making the playoffs again before us…
barstool-sports-kingpin.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
And the price was:

Laine + 2nd <> Jordan Harris.

Yzerman should have complete that. Don't give the 2nd but give a camp dump + young defenceman.
Yeah but that's the reason why it was cheap. Because Columbus only took back 1.4mil in salary, they dumped 2 years of 7.3m. For the Wings to make that work the price goes up a ton because they would have to dump some big stuff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah but that's the reason why it was cheap. Because Columbus only took back 1.4mil in salary, they dumped 2 years of 7.3m. For the Wings to make that work the price goes up a ton because they would have to dump some big stuff.

Yeah, but Columbus would have 1-year capspace to take some salaries, like Husso.

Currently CBJ has 13M of cap space and don't have to sign anybody. Their team is ready.

Their problem was Laine 2nd year, when they are gonna face heavy RFA raises. But giving up Husso as a dump, they don't have to pay that 2nd round pick.

It was possible to construct, also for Red Wings.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, but Columbus would have 1-year capspace to take some salaries, like Husso.

Currently CBJ has 13M of cap space and don't have to sign anybody. Their team is ready.

Their problem was Laine 2nd year, when they are gonna face heavy RFA raises. But giving up Husso as a dump, they don't have to pay that 2nd round pick.

It was possible to construct, also for Red Wings.
We would need to dump more than just Husso.

Reactions: norrisnick

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Good GMs can make it happen.
Please explain how. It's just 8.7 mil on top of signing Seider and Raymond. I'm sure that's easy.

.911 with 6 shutouts, too. That's a pretty up and down year for a guy who's supposed to be NHL ready.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Please explain how. It's just 8.7 mil on top of signing Seider and Raymond. I'm sure that's easy.

.911 with 6 shutouts, too. That's a pretty up and down year for a guy who's supposed to be NHL ready.
I am not an NHL GM, that would be their job to figure out. Other GMs do it, ours should be able to as well, unless you think Yzerman is not as competent as other GMs, which I believe he is as competent or more competent than the average GM.

Edit: We have Copp, Holl, Maataa, Husso, Rasmussen, Veleno, Petry as all players we could possibly ship out. Again, it's up to the GM to be creative to dump the contracts. Are all of them feasible to dump? Probably not.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I am not an NHL GM, that would be their job to figure out. Other GMs do it, ours should be able to as well, unless you think Yzerman is not as competent as other GMs, which I believe he is as competent or more competent than the average GM.

Edit: We have Copp, Holl, Maataa, Husso, Rasmussen, Veleno, Petry as all players we could possibly ship out. Again, it's up to the GM to be creative to dump the contracts. Are all of them feasible to dump? Probably not.
Yzerman is very competent because he was smart enough to not get involved with Laine.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
And the price was:

Laine + 2nd <> Jordan Harris.

Yzerman should have complete that. Don't give the 2nd but give a camp dump + young defenceman.

And which 3 players could Yzerman easily trade to make room for Laine's cap?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah but Yzerman has structured it so money is falling off every year in some form. Plus we could've done a Laine move before signing some guys like Kane or Tarasenko. But obviously that was a no go since Laine was in the assistance program. I mean personally I'm ok with Kane+Tenko instead of just Laine.

We are gonna have roughly 20 mil in cap space next summer with no big signings having to get done, and that's without a cap increase. I think we are gonna be ok.

Reactions: norrisnick

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah but Yzerman has structured it so money is falling off every year in some form. Plus we could've done a Laine move before signing some guys like Kane or Tarasenko. But obviously that was a no go since Laine was in the assistance program. I mean personally I'm ok with Kane+Tenko instead of just Laine.

We are gonna have roughly 20 mil in cap space next summer with no big signings having to get done, and that's without a cap increase. I think we are gonna be ok.

I think we are in fine position, but I also wouldn't have minded rolling the dice on Laine. We'd essentially have a two year test drive of the guy, and if he finds himself again...not a bad guy to have, imo. But he could also continue to be a tire fire.

But if I was Columbus I would have also tried hanging on to Laine and hoping he re-established his value a bit. This feels like the sort of deal they could make at any point, but if Laine starts the year strong and cap space opens up for teams as the seasons goes on...maybe they could pull back something of value.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Meh, he has nothing left to prove down there. The biggest reason I see for wanting out is he'll never be the starter with Saros signing an 8 year deal recently. Plus they just signed a backup goalie. I'd want out to and the chance to get a big pay day sooner rather than later.

Didn't he request a trade earlier in the offseason? I think Nashville not getting a move made all summer might have pushed Askarov to the point of not reporting now. I wouldn't have re-signed Saros, though. Put Askarov behind him this year, transition to Askarov next season, and have a bunch of cap space to throw around in front of him.

Reactions: Konnan511

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think we are in fine position, but I also wouldn't have minded rolling the dice on Laine. We'd essentially have a two year test drive of the guy, and if he finds himself again...not a bad guy to have, imo. But he could also continue to be a tire fire.
That's a very well balanced take. But this is an internet forum, so I feel obligated to spice things up.

Here's the recipe for Patrick Laine:
* Take one Daniel Sprong.
* Mix in 20 to 30 percent more production.
* Add 250 percent more salary.
* Stir vigorously.

Voila! Instant Laine!

Reactions: jaster and SoupNazi

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I'd take a stab at the Laine of 2018. The 2024 version? That's a lot of money to pay a second or maybe even third line right wing. Dude's only 26 and his best days are behind him. He is tall though, I'll give him that.

Now Askarov...that's a little more interesting. Unfortunately, we've got 3 goalies on the roster, and about 4 more in the junk drawer next to the phone.

I wonder what we'd have to give the Preds. They haven't much leverage now, but they don't feel much urgency either. I could see the Wings as a decent team if we had not just a so-so goalie, but a very good goalie, and Askarov has a chance of becoming one.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I'd take a stab at the Laine of 2018. The 2024 version? That's a lot of money to pay a second or maybe even third line right wing. Dude's only 26 and his best days are behind him. He is tall though, I'll give him that.

Now Askarov...that's a little more interesting. Unfortunately, we've got 3 goalies on the roster, and about 4 more in the junk drawer next to the phone.

I wonder what we'd have to give the Preds. They haven't much leverage now, but they don't feel much urgency either. I could see the Wings as a decent team if we had not just a so-so goalie, but a very good goalie, and Askarov has a chance of becoming one.

Cossa was just as good as Askarov in the AHL last year and is a year younger. I'd say Cossa has just as good of a chance to becoming a very good goalie as Askarov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad