Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Starting the season this way is fine. We are stacked at forward. I actually like that we would give Podkolzin and Emerson a real shot. There's a chance that they excel and then we are laughing. I don't know the odds of success there but it's boosted by having such a strong supporting cast and depth.
That defense is not very good no matter how you look at it. We've already gone the "Just outscore the problems" route. It doesn't work. One injury and this season might be wasted.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Man the number of people who don’t know we were 300k over the cap with 2 players unsigned is wild.

This isn’t
pod emberson 2nd 3rd 3rd Fischer
Vs
Holloway Broberg Ceci 3rd 4th

Since matching it would have like been:
Holloway broberg
Vs
Ceci kulak and one of skinner henrique after Kane came back with ltir early so our team wouldn’t be able to add at deadline unless we are moving big salary out. Plus whatever assets we are forced to attach to Ceci and kulak to move them in a crazy cap crunch

Our D would have likely been:
Ekholm bouchard
Nurse-stecher
Broberg brown

I don’t know which D is worse but one we can add at the deadline and our forwards are a lot better not matching

Reactions: OilerMcLord

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They better find one soon. If their solution is "Wait until the trade deadline" then Bowman can take a hike.
Cool way to ignore the actual discussion. 👍🏻 you’re mad that Ceci is gone. You’re mad they didn’t match Broberg and you don’t give a F about cap space. You’re thinking illogically. You’re trying to make 3+5=6

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
At this point the entire offseason is a wash. Why spend on those offfensive players if the defense is a gaping hole past the first pair?

Did we not learn this postseason that own zone play is as critical as offense when winning playoff series?

Goalie numbers will also be affected running one guy a pair above his head and two guys at third pair who are #7. Does this affect Skinner?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Cool way to ignore the actual discussion. 👍🏻 you’re mad that Ceci is gone. You’re mad they didn’t match Broberg and you don’t give a F about cap space. You’re thinking illogically. You’re trying to make 3+5=6
With Keith, it doesn’t matter what the GM does, he’s gonna complain anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: OilerMcLord

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
At this point the entire offseason is a wash. Why spend on those offfensive players if the defense is a gaping hole past the first pair?

Did we not learn this postseason that own zone play is as critical as offense when winning playoff series?
What’s the guarantee that Broberg or Ceci on the 2nd pair is better than what they have and what they could acquire going forward?

People acting as if Broberg was a lock to anchor the second pair and acting as if Ceci didn’t suck are counting a lot of eggs that’ll never hatch.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm mad that their defense looks like shit. I don't mind trading away Ceci so long as an adequate replacement is brought in.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It’s so weird to see that Ceci is all of sudden an important player now that he’s traded.

He sucks, Emberson and Stecher will fill in fine for him until the deadline
I think it just shows how some people here just want to be contrarian and shit on the team. When a GM trades one of their whipping boys they just find a new excuse to rip on it despite wanting the same move to happen for years and being extremely vocal about it.

Our D is definitely worse than last year and that was the case without or without Broberg. Ceci was more than serviceable. Some people just choose blood though and you can’t fix that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"Fix it at the deadline" is not a solution. That is not a championship level defense.
Stay mad. Divert from the actual convo we were having. Cool.

We agree that we don’t have a championship level defense!!! What do you want me to do about it and why are you mad at me about it 🤣🤣🤣

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That defense is not very good no matter how you look at it. We've already gone the "Just outscore the problems" route. It doesn't work. One injury and this season might be wasted.

The D is really, really bad. It was already maybe league average with Ceci and Broberg, and now its likely bottom 5 in the entire league. It's pretty crazy that 10 years into McDavid's career and we still have one of the worst D-cores in the league. Bonkers really.

• Haha
Reactions: SupremeTeam16

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What’s the guarantee that Broberg or Ceci on the 2nd pair is better than what they have and what they could acquire going forward?

People acting as if Broberg was a lock to anchor the second pair and acting as if Ceci didn’t suck are counting a lot of eggs that’ll never hatch.
But the chickens have come home to roost on salary cap miscues.

Reactions: nabob

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Ceci is decent on the third pairing. Not amazing but good in a limited role.

Look at that defense right now and tell me it's championship caliber. Because it looks ripe to get eaten alive.

As for cap space, I don't give a f***. Stop kicking the can down the road.
You dump on holland for cap management and now it’s f*** the cap lets just throw a ridiculous amount of money at an unproven player?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Man the number of people who don’t know we were 300k over the cap with 2 players unsigned is wild.

This isn’t
pod emberson 2nd 3rd 3rd Fischer
Vs
Holloway Broberg Ceci 3rd 4th

Since matching it would have like been:
Holloway broberg
Vs
Ceci kulak and one of skinner henrique after Kane came back with ltir early so our team wouldn’t be able to add at deadline unless we are moving big salary out. Plus whatever assets we are forced to attach to Ceci and kulak to move them in a crazy cap crunch

Our D would have likely been:
Ekholm bouchard
Nurse-stecher
Broberg brown

I don’t know which D is worse but one we can add at the deadline and our forwards are a lot better not matching
Everyone knew the cap challenges. It wouldn't have taken much to make everyone fit, but it would have hurt. The team obviously felt the sacrifices weren't worth it.

I don't like that we let Broberg go but it isn't the end of the world. The real GM sin isn't losing these guys for reduced value. It's what they do in the weeks and months to adjust to this. The whole picture is what is important

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad